Wisdom Teeth

iLoveSugar

I mentioned in another thread but kinda wanted it's own fresh topic instead of being so imbedded deep into a different thread.

But I'm curious as to if anyone has ever gotten neurological symptoms from infected wisdom teeth. I have had the symptoms for a couple years now. I went to the dentist today to find out I had multiple cavities, but my bag left wisdom tooth is badly decayed and abscessed.

Image attached of the dreaded x-ray.

Attachments

• 20170610_011801.jpg
    20170610_011801.jpg
    299.5 KB · Views: 61

Queequeg

Look into some podcasts from Dr. Hal Huggins DDS. He talks a lot about issues with wisdom teeth issues, infections and what to do about them. As a head start brushing your teeth with 70 baking soda/30% salt and then gargling with a strong salt solution can kill a lot of stuff and stop the infection. If you need to have it extracted you should probably find a Huggins trained dentist as its very important to remove all of the root ligaments or you will get an infected cavitation.

You would've died from sepsis by now if the infection got past your tooth root. You have to get it pulled and hope that it heals fine with no dry sockets. Go to an oral surgeon that has good reviews.

OP
I

iLoveSugar

Oh Lord, just what I wanted to hear. I'm on state insurance due to being so ill, so probably not a good surgeon yanking it.

Look into some podcasts from Dr. Hal Huggins DDS. He talks a lot about issues with wisdom teeth issues, infections and what to do about them. As a head start brushing your teeth with 70 baking soda/30% salt and then gargling with a strong salt solution can kill a lot of stuff and stop the infection. If you need to have it extracted you should probably find a Huggins trained dentist as its very important to remove all of the root ligaments or you will get an infected cavitation.

Last edited:

AJC

You can certainly get neurological symptoms from an infected tooth. This happened to me personally--experiencing numbness and tingling while having two untreated cavities--neurological symptoms disappeared after an extraction and filling. This concept is called "focal infection" by the way and was extremely popular from the early to mid 19th century (literally hundreds of research papers written by the likes of Weston Price and others where they would take an infected tooth from a patient who was having certain symptoms, heart, digestive, joint, mental, etc. put that tooth into a healthy rabbit, and within weeks the rabbit would get the identical symptoms that the original person was suffering from). The idea is a subacute infection takes place in a local area and seeds bacteria to other places in the body where they have an affinity. The seeding is a slow, small amount so the person won't experience symptoms of sepsis, although the bacteria do travel through the blood to get there. The most common "homes" of these infections are teeth and tonsils.

OP
I

iLoveSugar

So it's obviously best to get these teeth removed?

You can certainly get neurological symptoms from an infected tooth. This happened to me personally--experiencing numbness and tingling while having two untreated cavities--neurological symptoms disappeared after an extraction and filling. This concept is called "focal infection" by the way and was extremely popular from the early to mid 19th century (literally hundreds of research papers written by the likes of Weston Price and others where they would take an infected tooth from a patient who was having certain symptoms, heart, digestive, joint, mental, etc. put that tooth into a healthy rabbit, and within weeks the rabbit would get the identical symptoms that the original person was suffering from). The idea is a subacute infection takes place in a local area and seeds bacteria to other places in the body where they have an affinity. The seeding is a slow, small amount so the person won't experience symptoms of sepsis, although the bacteria do travel through the blood to get there. The most common "homes" of these infections are teeth and tonsils.

AJC

I got mine removed, and it was no choice at all to do so. And as Queequeg said I'd call around and make sure the person doing it will also be removing the dead periodontal ligament. I believe most Periodontal Surgeons (different than DDS) will do this, but I'd still be calling biological dentists first to get a good referral. A DDS may do the extraction, but most of them don't do them as often as Periodontal Surgeons and so won't be as skilled (but I actually had mine removed by a dentist who used ozone to disinfect the area after extraction).

Lastly, this is a surgical procedure so it is important it's done right. Many chronic illnesses stem from improper and shoddy dental work.

Xisca

Buteyko also tells about focal infections. Actually last year I was very quick to remove 3 mollars that had no nerve, instead of putting a crown. All dead teeth will probably keep a focal infection. The tooth is full a tiny holes, and keep the bacterias safe, as the immune system cannot go there when there is no nerve, and no blood circulation IN the tooth.

About the relationship to nervous symtoms, I also agree that it is possible, but this is a whole. I mean that each person is going to react according to her background. Not only the last drop is the culprit, but the full glass! So, any reaction that is strong might mean that the glass was quite full, and it helps to empty whatever else is in this "nerve activation glass".

Some people will have panick attacks, and I had some fibro pains and fatigue. In somatic work, panick, which is part of the fear range, correspond to a past flight response that could not be finished and is still running on. The systems keeps it in control, and it shows up only when something is added to the pack. A panick attack in a place that feels safe for most, means the body releases some of its excess fear energy, in order to keep at least some balance.

So yes take care of your teeth, it will get better including for your nerves, but your body told you about wanting to let go its charge, and if you do something about it, then when you get any other new stress or illness, you will be holding the situation more easily.

You have a few days ahead to ask for the procedure and see if they can do as good as it is suggested. Hope its works fine!

Diokine

The focal infection theory is extremely interesting and something I have been researching for a bit now, I very much believe it is something to consider. Considering neurological symptoms, disruptions in the proper development of the lower mandible and impacted teeth can have serious implications for the vagus nerve, which travels directly behind the zygomatic process and mandible condyle.

Oral sepsis in its relationship to systemic disease

Xisca

@iLoveSugar just ask him for what will be done and how, this of removing nerves fully. Then ask for what you want, copy the advices here.

Xisca

can have serious implications for the vagus nerve, which travels directly behind the zygomatic process and mandible condyle.
Even more than what we think! There is an osteopatic method that deals with this, as ribs can also do some pressure on the vagus nerve. This method really remove asthma and eczema! I have direct testomonies. It is not perfect on psoriasis, but better it very much too. The issue we get just depend on where the vagus nerve is stimulated, as it inervate all organs.
So I would not be surprised that mouth issues etc have an impact on the nerve. It is a parasympathic nerve.

OP
I

iLoveSugar

If they weren't so bad, I would try and by time to save up for a holistic dentist. Not sure I want to let this go long though, infected and impacted, and decayed.

Queequeg

I'm definitely a bit nervous now that this doc won't do a good job. I don't have money to go to an out of pocket expense doc.

If anyone cares to look at his profile, it's here:

Our Doctors | Artisan Smiles
He looks pretty good. I think the advice to gently ask him about the periodontal ligaments is crucial. Dr Huggins as I recall recommends allowing the extraction site to bleed for a minute or so to clean out the area. This seems to be very good advice but I am not sure how willing these doctors are to take instructions on techniques from patients. Maybe tell him that you have read a lot about cavitations getting infected (leftover hole where tooth was) and ask him what can be done to minimize that risk. Reading up on this would help too.
this looks pretty good
https://www.westonaprice.org/health-topics/dentistry/dental-cavitation-surgery/

Last edited:
OP
I

iLoveSugar

I definitely will. And you are right, many times that cringe when a patient tries giving advice.

Xisca

And you are right, many times that cringe when a patient tries giving advice.
Definitely.
I have used some tips.
- When moving place or having traveled, it is possible to say about what the other dentist did and what you are used to...
- And what can work on its own, or added to the above...
Speak about ones nervousness, and ask please please, this would lower my nervousness, if I know that you do this... So the trick is to not say anything about misjudging him, but asking that something be done in order to help you be quiet. That if the periodontal ligaments are not removed you are going to be so afraid that it will increase your symtoms!
@iLoveSugar you have no problem to be believed!

Xisca

The most common "homes" of these infections are teeth and tonsils.
By the way, also fungi, like athlete foot.
Good to take care and clear even when not strong.

Marg

Good luck for everything going smoothly. If you can take something to help with anxiety, clear this with the doctor before you get there for the oral surgery.

Speak about ones nervousness, and ask please please, this would lower my nervousness, if I know that you do this... So the trick is to not say anything about misjudging him, but asking that something be done in order to help you be quiet. That if the periodontal ligaments are not removed you are going to be so afraid that it will increase your symtoms!

This is some good advice. You are handling everything well and you can continue healing and making progress. Have patience and take everything one step at a time.

OP
I

iLoveSugar

I just hope I get some relief. Life is hell right now. I'm constantly so weak in the legs because my nerves are so shot. Not even sure it's reversible at this point. I can't even stand still because my legs are so weak and shaky.

OP
I

iLoveSugar

I'm seriously strongly debating trying an SSRI at this point. And that hurts to say.