Wim Hof Vs Buteyko

Energizer

I am partial to Butyeko's work. He seemed to have a very strong understanding of the importance of Co2 and how it can be used to treat diseases just by restraining one's breathing. Many people seem to be in a constant hyperventilation and there are many testimonials of people who seem to have gotten good results for their health out of breathing less. I can say from my own experience, being aware of my breathing and not overbreathing has helped calm me down.

DNM

I also remember those tingles, experimented while playing andean flute in my teens.
Then my arms would contract, as with cramps.

Like a statue?
In somatic experiencing we call this freezing, as a consequence of too much stress. A sort of shut off to protect the body from suffering stress. Like electric fuses.

So yes I believe Peat when he speaks about protecting against metabolic stress.
I think hyperventilation triggers the fight flight freeze response, aka sympathic activation that can lead to a strong parasympathic blocage by the vago-dorsal branch (see Porges for the polyvagal theory)
exhalation and co2 activates the vago ventral parasympathic state, which is the relaxation that allows the body to digest etc, and thus a good cellular respiration, production of co2 and not of lactic acid.
It's more likely that hyperventilation spikes the level of O2 while you expel a lot of CO2, leading to little O2 uptake by the red blood cells. Basically, there is no CO2 signal to transport blood to the cells, so you starve cells of O2, all while having high O2 blood levels. This leads to cramping, etc. CO2 is indeed important, both for vasodilation and for causing O2 uptake.

I may have mangled the science, but that's the gist of it.

Kykeon

so wim hof took Tummo (which is practiced in the mountains) and now people do it at sea level? is there not a big piece missing in the equation, namely the co2 levels in tibet beeing higher?

Ben.

so wim hof took Tummo (which is practiced in the mountains) and now people do it at sea level? is there not a big piece missing in the equation, namely the co2 levels in tibet beeing higher?

Well its not like Tummo is the basic unconcious baseline breathing state up there. I thought they just practice it and make contests in who can increase body tempereature the fastest and dry a wet towel with it. Stuff like that.

blinkynz

Hi guys, is there a breathing technique (s), that increases oxidative metabolism, in alignment with Ray Peats work?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals