Will You Get Too Much Carotene From Eating A Raw Carrot With Every Meal?

Parsifal

Will you get too much carotene from eating a raw carrot with every meal? Is it better to take things like Psyllium instead of carrots?

The only two special fibers that Peat has found to have an anti-estrogen, anti-serotonin effects are raw carrot and boiled bamboo shoot. Psyllium doesn't have the same "sponge" like effect. Every meal may be over doing it and Peat does not recommend eating the raw carrot with a meal for its main effect. It must be consumed by itself as to move through the colon by itself and clean house. The only time he mentioned eating it with a meal was to prevent fat absorption from a fatty meal. I don't think the carotene from carrot is a concern. Raw carrot also has raw starch but for the purposes of it, it's not a big deal. It is funny though how many people are so quick to demonize starch and carotene when Peat eats some raw starch and carotene everyday from the carrots.

LucH

Parsifal said:
post 98606 Will you get too much carotene from eating a raw carrot with every meal?
You need fat to absorb b-carotenes. I would limit to one meal a day, when the menu isn't balanced (if no saturated FA).
Even in this case, there is no problem / toxicity with beta-carotene from food, except allergy when you eat too often the same food.
:hattip
LucH

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Parsifal

Parsifal

Westside PUFAs said:
post 98609 The only two special fibers that Peat has found to have an anti-estrogen, anti-serotonin effects are raw carrot and boiled bamboo shoot. Psyllium doesn't have the same "sponge" like effect. Every meal may be over doing it and Peat does not recommend eating the raw carrot with a meal for its main effect. It must be consumed by itself as to move through the colon by itself and clean house. The only time he mentioned eating it with a meal was to prevent fat absorption from a fatty meal. I don't think the carotene from carrot is a concern. Raw carrot also has raw starch but for the purposes of it, it's not a big deal. It is funny though how many people are so quick to demonize starch and carotene when Peat eats some raw starch and carotene everyday from the carrots.

Thanks, that's very interesting for the newbee that I am :hattip.

jyb

Re carotene: I thought the whole point was that you won't absorb much carotene from raw carrot, as opposed to cooked carrot. Because otherwise, carrot is indeed very very high in carotene.

Amazoniac

When you eat a carrot salad, the majority of fats are MCTs, which do not stimulate the formation chylomicrons as other chain lengths do; which are required to carry the b-carotene in the blood. But it's more complex than that. Both of them can sit on the enterocytes and interact with the nutrients ingested at the previous or next meal. Since the amount of available b-carotene in a raw carrot is low, it won't be significant; in fact I don't think that it will interact with the LCTs from the next meal.
However this aspect can be a positive point, because if anything, most of the MCTs are carried directly to the liver, and if they carry the b-carotene along, it can be converted to Vitamin A there.

But you haven't lived if you haven't tried carrot salad with melted butter and salt :ss2

answersfound

Such_Saturation said:
But you haven't lived if you haven't tried carrot salad with melted butter and salt :ss2

Haven't lived? We're not talking about a Peatarian cheesecake here. A carrot salad with melted butter certainly sounds like an upgrade from the traditional carrot salad, but still pretty mediocre.

Gl;itch.e

its interesting that people are saying that there is no danger in eating carrot as it's beta carotene is so poorly absorbed. I ran into orange calluses from excessive beta carotene pretty early on even though I would soak and rinse the grated carrot really well.

Well I can see carrots in my stool and they are still bright orange, so I don't know what to tell you.

Gl;itch.e

Such_Saturation said:
post 98673 Well I can see carrots in my stool and they are still bright orange, so I don't know what to tell you.
HOW ABOUT MUCH MUCH LESS INFORMATION!!! :):

Gl;itch.e said:
post 98678
Such_Saturation said:
post 98673 Well I can see carrots in my stool and they are still bright orange, so I don't know what to tell you.

Would you prefer I spent $3000 to chemically assay the carotene content before and after the transit :ss yeah me too :roll:

Gl;itch.e

Such_Saturation said:
post 98680
Gl;itch.e said:
post 98678
Such_Saturation said:

Would you prefer I spent $3000 to chemically assay the carotene content before and after the transit :ss yeah me too :roll:
Taste test might be cheaper but far less pleasant. *COULDNT FIND PUKING SMILEY!

LucH

Such_Saturation said:
post 98673 Well I can see carrots in my stool and they are still bright orange,
There is a problem: leaky gut ...
LH

LucH

Amazoniac said:
post 98707 What do you mean?
if there are pieces carrots in your stools, they haven't been digested very well, as you can see the orange color. Not normal. These are soluble fibers (both soluble and insoluble, in fact).
I would diminish the quantity, otherwise you'll get inflammation, and afterwards a possibly leaky gut...
LucH

Amazoniac

LucH said:
post 98710
Amazoniac said:
post 98707 What do you mean?
if there are pieces carrots in your stools, they haven't been digested very well, as you can see the orange color. Not normal. These are soluble fibers (both soluble and insoluble, in fact).
I would diminish the quantity, otherwise you'll get inflammation, and afterwards a possibly leaky gut...
LucH
It's being handled just like undigestible matter and eliminated, which is its purpose; to act as a mild antibiotic. And it won't cause leaky gut even if you purposedly try to with absurd amounts. You'll get other problems way before any change in the gut barrier..