Will This Work? Extract Of Rice & Wheat Bran

Bluebell

I'd like to get the good vitamins/nutrients out of rice bran (the inner nutty stuff with the B vitamins) and wheat germ. These are both high quality & fresh.

I soaked a couple of tablespoons of each in hot water for 5 minutes, strained out the fibrous bits to discard, and drank the liquid.

Is this a good way to get the nutrients out and leave behind any irritating stuff?

mt_dreams

The liquid will contain the water soluble vitamins, so nutrient wise, there will be a dose of some of the B vitamins. I'm not sure about the minerals, as some may still be locked up in the fiber, though one would assume a decent amount of the minerals will also be present in the liquid. Problem is, you will also be taking in the PUFAs from the bran/germ which are quite high, as well as things like estrogen. Unless I was deficient in manganese, I don't think either the bran or germs advantages are worth the downsides. If you are looking to up your intake of B vitamins, possibly try yeast, as it's something Peat has mention as a possible way to short term increase the B vitamins. With the only downsides being possible estrogen, and unbalanced in iron & phosphorus.

OP
Bluebell

Bluebell

Thanks. I wonder how much gluten would be contained in the hot water extract? I hope there wouldn't be much in there.

Also wondering, is 5 minutes long enough?

ddjd

The liquid will contain the water soluble vitamins, so nutrient wise, there will be a dose of some of the B vitamins. I'm not sure about the minerals, as some may still be locked up in the fiber, though one would assume a decent amount of the minerals will also be present in the liquid. Problem is, you will also be taking in the PUFAs from the bran/germ which are quite high, as well as things like estrogen. Unless I was deficient in manganese, I don't think either the bran or germs advantages are worth the downsides. If you are looking to up your intake of B vitamins, possibly try yeast, as it's something Peat has mention as a possible way to short term increase the B vitamins. With the only downsides being possible estrogen, and unbalanced in iron & phosphorus.
ray has said that wheat bran is the only safe cereal and it has an anti estrogenic effect.

David PS

ddjd

Wheat bran may no longer be entirely safe. Often glyphosate (Roundup) is used to expedite the drying of wheat.
A Foodie's Guide to Avoiding Glyphosate (And Other Bad Stuff) - Whole Grains, Flours & Baking Mixes - Living Clean in a Dirty World

Wheat bran the most toxic of all American foods?

In addition, glyphosate is highly soluble in water.
glyphosate

I am wondering if you are essentially, throwing out the baby and drinking the dirty bath water.
im using an organic one from Germany where I live, but it's produced in Austria

David PS