Will taking thyroid suppress me? (Vid)

The bit about coming off of thyroid and some people staying euthyroid after that fascinates me.

I've taken thyroid for months on end and whenever I come off my TSH returns to the 2-3 range (which I guess is an improvement as it used to be as high as 8). Whatever "it" is that is keeping me hypothyroid I haven't been able to figure out. I've messed with my diet, lifestyle (to whatever extent possible), and supplements, yet no permanent change arises from any of it.

At this point I no longer take it although I know I'm worse off for it, I just don't like being dependent on external hormones. Occassionally I use red light which gives me a boost for a day or two.

I'm out of ideas on what else to attempt for a more 'permanent' fix.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
The bit about coming off of thyroid and some people staying euthyroid after that fascinates me.

I've taken thyroid for months on end and whenever I come off my TSH returns to the 2-3 range (which I guess is an improvement as it used to be as high as 8). Whatever "it" is that is keeping me hypothyroid I haven't been able to figure out. I've messed with my diet, lifestyle (to whatever extent possible), and supplements, yet no permanent change arises from any of it.

At this point I no longer take it although I know I'm worse off for it, I just don't like being dependent on external hormones. Occassionally I use red light which gives me a boost for a day or two.

I'm out of ideas on what else to attempt for a more 'permanent' fix.
That is a good question, and since there are so many variables, it's difficult to say it's this or that. Do you perhaps reside in a colder climate area?

Dave Clark

I not sure Hans why you feel that you would take thyroid, etc., fix the problem, and then think you would never have to use it again for the rest of your life. As we age, ultimately, we are at some point in time going to have insufficiency simply just due to aging. Do you really think that at, say Ray's age, we would not need to supplement some additional hormones, etc.? If you get your thyroid working well at say age 65, you can be sure that won't last long. Look at the charts that show the decline in bodily functions each decade of life. I believe it is inevitable that every person at some late stage of life is going to need to take either nutrients/hormones, or drugs. I am okay with that, as long as the goal of improving health is sought out, and possibly achieved.
I do understand that some people are the exception, and by choice of good lifestyle, etc., can delay or prevent these declines. However, I wonder how achievable that is in this increasingly toxic world, plus, some aging in the body does not respond to just good diet, exercise, etc., and will happen anyway.

Last edited:
OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
I not sure Hans why you feel that you would take thyroid, etc., fix the problem, and then think you would never have to use it again for the rest of your life. As we age, ultimately, we are at some point in time going to have insufficiency simply just due to aging. Do you really think that at, say Ray's age, we would not need to supplement some additional hormones, etc.? If you get your thyroid working well at say age 65, you can be sure that won't last long. Look at the charts that show the decline in bodily functions each decade of life. I believe it is inevitable that every person at some late stage of life is going to need to take either nutrients/hormones, or drugs. I am okay with that, as long as the goal of improving health is sought out, and possibly achieved.
I do understand that some people are the exception, and by choice of good lifestyle, etc., can delay or prevent these declines. However, I wonder how achievable that is in this increasingly toxic world, plus, some aging in the body does not respond to just good diet, exercise, etc., and will happen anyway.
If someone is hypo or displays hypo symptoms, I think it's a good idea to use it regardless of age. If it recovers you, then no need to continue using it for the time being. If it doesn't, then it's best to keep using it. Why suffer?
Even Peat doesn't use thyroid all the time. He mentioned that in the summer he doesn't have to, or at least the dose was a lot smaller. So there are many variables. Optimizing tissue thyroid levels are great, but it can only slow aging so much. But I'm all for maintaining a healthy state. If thyroid is part of that, then so be it.

Beastmode

If someone is hypo or displays hypo symptoms, I think it's a good idea to use it regardless of age. If it recovers you, then no need to continue using it for the time being. If it doesn't, then it's best to keep using it. Why suffer?
Even Peat doesn't use thyroid all the time. He mentioned that in the summer he doesn't have to, or at least the dose was a lot smaller. So there are many variables. Optimizing tissue thyroid levels are great, but it can only slow aging so much. But I'm all for maintaining a healthy state. If thyroid is part of that, then so be it.
Agreed!

It seems like a "no brainer" to use something so powerful like T3 and/or T3/T4 in the environments most of us live in this these days, even as a prophylactic to some degree. I look at it like my body needing extra protein, or even salt on some days.

It seems fairly easy to know when and how to use it after the foundational stuff is practiced everyday (i.e- macros/micros, sleep, movement, etc.)

I live in Florida where it's sunny year round, but I probably haven't gone a day without it, at least a bit of it, every day for almost 5 years now.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
Agreed!

It seems like a "no brainer" to use something so powerful like T3 and/or T3/T4 in the environments most of us live in this these days, even as a prophylactic to some degree. I look at it like my body needing extra protein, or even salt on some days.

It seems fairly easy to know when and how to use it after the foundational stuff is practiced everyday (i.e- macros/micros, sleep, movement, etc.)

I live in Florida where it's sunny year round, but I probably haven't gone a day without it, at least a bit of it, every day for almost 5 years now.
True. Even though my metabolism is the best it's ever been, using 1 drop tyromix before bed does help my sleep quality a bit. So it does have its upsides.

Beastmode

True. Even though my metabolism is the best it's ever been, using 1 drop tyromix before bed does help my sleep quality a bit. So it does have its upsides.
Good example where thyroid supplementing becomes more "constructive" than just "protective" while people are getting sorted out.

It's a subtle shift, but might be a good place to strive for.

Jsaute21

Environment is huge. When stress is present through the form of work it has a big impact. I always think back to a work trip i took to Italy a few years back in 2018. I left Chicago where I was using probably 20 MCG t3/24 MCG T4 daily for the Southern coast for 3/4 days. After taking a red eye and getting there, I did not need thyroid in the warmth, eating healthy seafood pastas and due to the lowered stress. Was having a few drinks as well, but the stress free atmosphere, high levels of vitamin D, ocean air etc. were too invigorating.

Just didn't need it there. I was hoping when i got back to a heavy workload and cold fall sunless Chicago weather i wouldn't need to supplement. I was wrong.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals