Will Moving To A High Altitude Place Dramatically Boost Metabolism And Well-being?

encerent

It might be possible for me to move to Flagstaff, AZ which is 6,910′ and over 7000' in many parts, making it one of the highest well-populated cities in the US.

Has anyone experienced high-altitude living? Does it really promote metabolism?

Tarmander

I get up to Flag for work sometimes. Not sure if it is the elevation or the clean air, but I always feel great and can think better up there. I usually camp up there around 8000 feet. If you can find a good job, I say go for it. One of the cleanest places you can live. A mite expensive though.

OP
encerent

encerent

I get up to Flag for work sometimes. Not sure if it is the elevation or the clean air, but I always feel great and can think better up there. I usually camp up there around 8000 feet. If you can find a good job, I say go for it. One of the cleanest places you can live. A mite expensive though.

Does look really clean up there! probably will try to visit this summer

ddjd

7000 will make a difference definitely but more subtle effects. Over time it will make a difference. When i moved to La paz for 6 months, 13,000 feet, the difference that made and quickly was enormous

lampofred

Some people get depressed, feel off, the longer they stay up high.

I thought initially a high altitude is supposed to be stressful. It's your body's adaptation after a few weeks/months to a high altitude that's beneficial, not the altitude itself.

Prosper

I thought initially a high altitude is supposed to be stressful. It's your body's adaptation after a few weeks/months to a high altitude that's beneficial, not the altitude itself.
It all depends on whether you lean towards being a hyperventilator or hypoventilator. High altitude is not universally beneficial.

rawmeat

7000 will make a difference definitely but more subtle effects. Over time it will make a difference. When i moved to La paz for 6 months, 13,000 feet, the difference that made and quickly was enormous

you regrow your hair at that level?

Energizer

The best I've felt was during a ski-trip at 9,000 ft in Winter Park, Colorado. Stayed there for a month.

nintendo1889

Butekyo breathing, pranayama breathing, mindfully breathing slowly, sleeping in an altitude tent, they all have similar affects, imho. I've been recently thinking about working out with a gas mask or some other way of limiting oxygen during workouts. Following the butekyo people, I am trying to jog while breathing through my nose. I can only interval run for ~10 seconds and walk for 90 seconds, but it is improving. I am reminded of the book Born to Run, which details the native americans who live in the mountains and even the older tribe members can run uphill.

See the recent bulletproof featuring patrick mckeown, which was my first experience with oxygen limiting:

EXCarni Lady

I lived in Flagstaff years ago, that said I live in another high elevation location, I do have more endurance at sea level though.

gaze

As long as I eat enough calories, specifically orange juice, I have 0 adaptation period at around 10000 feet. feel better immediately. But you are right the long term changes within the body take longer but the there is still an initial increase in co2

Mauritio

Is there something like a recommended level of altitude , I you dont stay up for a long term ?

I live at altitude. I feel exactly the same as I did living at sea level unless I go down to sea level now. Then I feel great and can exercise much more easily. Other than that I haven't noticed any difference. I don't think there has been any noticeable metabolic change. Just my 2 cents.

Mauritio

I live at altitude. I feel exactly the same as I did living at sea level unless I go down to sea level now. Then I feel great and can exercise much more easily. Other than that I haven't noticed any difference. I don't think there has been any noticeable metabolic change. Just my 2 cents.
Wow okay ! How high do you live ?
I only spend a few weeks at high altitude and noticed many differences even after returning down.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals