Will Alcohol Reduce Endotoxin

Blake

Hello, I was jw if alcohol reduces endotoxins from high serotonin? Pure form like whiskey or vodka or will it raise my serotonin?

SOMO

Beer and wine both give me horrible headaches with ocular pressure.

I would think stronger alcohol (wine, rum, vodka, etc.) would have more of a disinfecting effect.

I also imagine herbal tinctures in alcohol are probably more effective antimicrobial than herbal tinctures in glycerin or other components.

haidut

Forum Supporter
Alcohol not only increase intestinal permeability and thus dramatically increase endotoxin in the bloodstream but it is also a TLR4 agonist - i.e. acts exactly like endotoxin at the cellular level.
TLR4 - Wikipedia

The disinfecting effects, if any, happens only in the stomach because alcohol gets absorbed and digested before it reaches the colon.

Alcohol not only increase intestinal permeability and thus dramatically increase endotoxin in the bloodstream but it is also a TLR4 agonist - i.e. acts exactly like endotoxin at the cellular level.
TLR4 - Wikipedia

The disinfecting effects, if any, happens only in the stomach because alcohol gets absorbed and digested before it reaches the colon.

What would be some options for mitigating the TLR4 agonism while still being able to enjoy the recreational side of 3 or 4 standard alcoholic drinks?

raypeatclips

TLR4 - Wikipedia

What are some ways people can drink alcohol and neutralise any negative effects? Thank you.

What are some ways people can drink alcohol and neutralise any negative effects? Thank you.

Activated Charcoal and NAC during heavy drinking are the two most effective measures I have found however I have come to find that both are unreliable, they work well 75% of the time - even when stacked with sticking to clear spirits, getting b vitamins and drinking extra water and taking an aspirin before bed. The other thing I have come to note, is pacing oneself at 1 drink per hour e.g. 6 drinks at the pace of 1 an hour so as to theoretically metabolize alcohol at a liver friendly rate seems to make me feel more sick than if I drank 6 drinks in 3 hours, in fact it can make me start to feel hungover that same day.... What I'm getting at here is that I think the time exposure of alcohol gut agitation may be a very key factor and I think the TLR4 agonism that @haidut mentioned must be why these measures are not completely reliable, the microbiome of the gut is constantly in flux. In the interest of science the other day in the afternoon I took 800mg of berberine and drank 7 or 8 standard sized drinks over the course of 5 hours, no hangover feeling at all the following day! Sample size of one, but in the interest of science I plan to keep experimenting with this on the weekends. :p:

Last edited:

haidut

Forum Supporter

Thiamine and niacinamide to speed up alcohol metabolism, sugar also speeds up alcohol metabolism. If you have access to a 5-HT3 antagonist that can help a lot as well as it stops the endotoxin response. Speaking of which, there is this "clinic on wheels" driving around Las Vegas where you can get an alcohol-detox treatment from licensed MDs driving in the van and the treatment is just IV solution of sugar and B-complex vitamins and a little ondansetron (a 5-HT3 antagonist). They say the ondansetron is for nausea but the main benefit is reducing gut permeability, endotoxin and alcohol-driven inflammation. A prime example of modern medicine doing the right things under the wrong assumption.
https://www.buzzfeed.com/gregbeato/...common-hango?utm_term=.ahAzZoPeV7#.xoK9nqMPel

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals