Why You Shouldn't Exercise To Lose Weight, Explained With 60+ Studies

mujuro

Sometimes weight loss is a necessary evil in cases where excess visceral adiposity is contributing to metabolic issues in the first place. Enter alternate day fat loss, where one day is focused on fat loss and the other focused on combating the ravages of burning FFAs the day before.

I'm surprised by some of the responses in this thread. Since reading Peat's articles, my beliefs about the exercise industry have converged with my beliefs about the pharmaceutical industry; with regard to health, it'll lie to the public, cherry pick and outright manipulate data, and ultimately do anything it can to prop up demand for its [often worthless] products and institutions.

We're always told that exercise reduces stress for certain individuals, but is it causation or correlation? In other words, people who exercise are generally going to be healthier than sedentary people in myriad ways, and their exercising could actually be a net harm for all we know.

But it's even more nuanced than that. From what I understand, one can actually feel really good from exercise in the same way he might get feelings of euphoria from fasting or a ketogenic diet, while simultaneously damaging his health. The infamous "runner's high" comes to mind; distance runners often look malnourished and yet their brains give them positive reinforcement for putting their bodies through prolonged periods of extreme stress.

I think introspection comes into play here. Are we exercising because it's a side effect of doing activities we truly love and enjoy (playing sports with friends, exploring a national park, etc.) or are we exercising because we feel like we're supposed to exercise and will otherwise feel guilt or shame? The latter seems bad, and yet I'm convinced many have tricked themselves into "thinking they enjoy exercise" as a means of training themselves to put up with it despite hating it deep down.

Fascinating stuff.

whodathunkit

In cases of severe metabolic/mito damage, exercise is IMO a must for recovery. If the zombie apocalypse ever really comes, I want to be able to scale that chain link and run away. No way I could do anything like that before incorporating weights and Pilates and HIIT into my lifestyle. But now I can, and at my age, too. And a woman to boot. Whodathunkit?

IMO the stress response brought about by brief bouts of fairly intense exercise is a reasonable trade-off for increased functionality. Hormesis! The key seems to be not to overdo it. Long-distance running and competition weight training being a couple of handy examples of overdoing.

Philomath

In cases of severe metabolic/mito damage, exercise is IMO a must for recovery. If the zombie apocalypse ever really comes, I want to be able to scale that chain link and run away. No way I could do anything like that before incorporating weights and Pilates and HIIT into my lifestyle. But now I can, and at my age, too. And a woman to boot. Whodathunkit?

IMO the stress response brought about by brief bouts of fairly intense exercise is a reasonable trade-off for increased functionality. Hormesis! The key seems to be not to overdo it. Long-distance running and competition weight training being a couple of handy examples of overdoing.
I remember Dr. Peat saying Olypic lifters (performing clean and jerk and snatch) had stronger hearts and were generally healthier than most other athletes. Very concentric based.

Jem Oz

The whole problem is seeing a dichotomy lazy-working. Thinking along this axis will not take you anywhere at least in terms of understanding.

I agree with this so much. There's so much self-judgment/hatred out there, and so much guilt around not exercising. And for what it's worth, it's entirely possible that watching tv could be a pleasurable, worthwhile activity, if say you were watching a really stimulating show that was emotionally affecting or gave you information about your life/relationships. Such an experience might be a thousand times more beneficial than exercising. People need to develop individual relationships with themselves and see through all these rigid, crippling categories and beliefs that other people created.

Then again, I spose that's exactly what brought us all to this forum!

OP
bodacious

bodacious

I remember Dr. Peat saying Olypic lifters (performing clean and jerk and snatch) had stronger hearts and were generally healthier than most other athletes. Very concentric based.
Do you have a source for this?

This is a question I've been trying to answer for months, as I have a very low RHR.

Philomath

Do you have a source for this?

This is a question I've been trying to answer for months, as I have a very low RHR.

IIRC, it was in an Herb Doctors interview. I'd have to re-listen. Not sure which episode and not sure if they are all transcribed.

Simonsays

I think this will be one of Rays (and others no doubt) great legacies. The aerobic exercise health myth exploded. But the belief is so ingrained in modern western society, it will be difficult to shift (even those young fit triathletes who keep dying, explained by undiagnosed heart conditions).

I am a member of another thyroid forum/site and have tried to persuade a guy struggling terribly with hypo at 55, that maybe his desire to run up and down hills might have something to do with it , to no avail. Soon as he feels better hes off!! Hes a member of a hill running club and asked how many were being treated for hypothyroidism and he was surprised at the numbers.

I remember the comic genius and alcoholic/heavy smoker Peter Cook saying he had followed more hearses of " exercisers" than any other.

Anecdotally, my brother in law was the " healthiest?? " person i knew , before he died of heart failure at 55 (just finished 20 mins on ergo machine) Both parents now in their 80s. Low blood pressure, low cholesterol, low pulse, never smoked, slim,blah blah. Serious rower since 17, trained (aerobic) nearly every day. I just couldnt get my head round it, until i started reading Rays articles about the perils of aerobic exercise. I was even told if he hadnt have exercised he would have died earlier???

Even after 40 mins walking, the bodys T3 level shrinks to zero

Interestingly there was an article in yesterdays sunday magazine, about a woman who became a personal trainer so as she could exercise all the time. She realised as she was getting sicker and sicker she still continued to train, that she had an addiction. As previously said addictive exercisers do so for the "high" which masks more deep seated emotional issues. The old adage, "the gym is full of junkies" rings true. It is said that 3% of UK population is addicted to exercise.

My sister once said about her husband, if he doesnt train he gets depressed.

At least i no longer feel so guilty about slobbing about, my jogging days are over. (Lost more weight by eating more in last six months and no heavy exercise, some weights in bedroom) Thanks Ray.

Got a lovely pair of Brooks size 10 trainers barely used, anyone??

Ha ha...that reminds me of the sweat suits I bought during my Keto Daze. I was gonna start a Formal Exercise Program, someday...when I could find the energy.

I never did find the energy to move around much after low-carbing for so long and so my "sweat" suits (now five years old) have never actually been sweaty.:lol:

Ahanu

More important is what is happening in the other 23 hours and 20 minutes. Just because there are hormonal changes while an activity doesnt mean that activity is inherent bad.

kreeese

I think this will be one of Rays (and others no doubt) great legacies. The aerobic exercise health myth exploded. But the belief is so ingrained in modern western society, it will be difficult to shift (even those young fit triathletes who keep dying, explained by undiagnosed heart conditions).

I am a member of another thyroid forum/site and have tried to persuade a guy struggling terribly with hypo at 55, that maybe his desire to run up and down hills might have something to do with it , to no avail. Soon as he feels better hes off!! Hes a member of a hill running club and asked how many were being treated for hypothyroidism and he was surprised at the numbers.

I remember the comic genius and alcoholic/heavy smoker Peter Cook saying he had followed more hearses of " exercisers" than any other.

Anecdotally, my brother in law was the " healthiest?? " person i knew , before he died of heart failure at 55 (just finished 20 mins on ergo machine) Both parents now in their 80s. Low blood pressure, low cholesterol, low pulse, never smoked, slim,blah blah. Serious rower since 17, trained (aerobic) nearly every day. I just couldnt get my head round it, until i started reading Rays articles about the perils of aerobic exercise. I was even told if he hadnt have exercised he would have died earlier???

Interestingly there was an article in yesterdays sunday magazine, about a woman who became a personal trainer so as she could exercise all the time. She realised as she was getting sicker and sicker she still continued to train, that she had an addiction. As previously said addictive exercisers do so for the "high" which masks more deep seated emotional issues. The old adage, "the gym is full of junkies" rings true. It is said that 3% of UK population is addicted to exercise.

My sister once said about her husband, if he doesnt train he gets depressed.

At least i no longer feel so guilty about slobbing about, my jogging days are over. (Lost more weight by eating more in last six months and no heavy exercise, some weights in bedroom) Thanks Ray.

absolutely brilliant maybe the best thing i ever read on this forum regarding exercise and true health!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals