Why You Shouldn't Exercise To Lose Weight, Explained With 60+ Studies

bodacious

Kasper

I think if exercise boosts your basal metabolism, it will help loose weight.

I think for some (man especially), weight lifting can really boost testosterone, and therefore boost metabolism.

T

tca300

Strength training and low intensity walking, I think are good.

It's a shame that bicycling feels too stressful. It's so fun to go really fast and listen to some metallica. :mrgreen: or some bruce springsteen on a nice summer day

Dopamine

It's a shame that bicycling feels too stressful. It's so fun to go really fast and listen to some metallica. :mrgreen: or some bruce springsteen on a nice summer day

Ride a motorcycle :rockout

Agent207

Ray Peat, PhD: Quotes Relating to Exercise – Functional Performance Systems (FPS)

I agree with your criticisms. They don't define between anaerobic exercise and aerobic exercise. Anaerobic exercise like running a marathon will produce high amounts of lactic acid and cortisol. Circulating FFA will be very high and cortisol suppresses insulin causing temporary insulin resistance. Anaerobic exercise is associated with heart disease and stroke for these reasons. It is not uncommon for competitive endurance athletes to drop dead of heart attacks during a race. I think the harmfulness of endurance exercise mostly weighs on PUFA saturation of your tissues. If you are highly saturated with PUFA then it will be more metabolically stressful.

Anaerobic exercise will most likely lower Basal metabolic rate and insulin sensitivity- making you more prone to gain fat when inactive. Aerobic exercise and lean mass are associated with higher BMR and increased insulin sensitivity making you less prone to gain fat when inactive.

I think you can tell whether you are respiring aerobically or anaerobically by your breathing. If you are breathing heavily in and out through the mouth you are probaly well into the territory of anaerobic respiration. Ability to breathe in and out through the nose without gasping for air suggests higher CO2 and efficient aerobic respiration.

A good book to read is: Hans Selye- Stress without Distress

You're mixing up aerobic/anaerobic; its actually the opposite in those examples.

Dopamine

You're mixing up aerobic/anaerobic; its actually the opposite in those examples.

Ah yes I got the two confused.

Endurance exercise is called "aerobics" but it results in anaerobic metabolism if you get out of breath and lactic acid starts being produced which is what I was trying to reference. I think strength training isn't as fatiguing and produces less lactic acid so it is probaly ideal. I think the big thing to look at with exercise is lactic acid vs CO2

“Besides fasting, or chronic protein deficiency, the common causes of hypothyroidism are excessive stress or “aerobic” (i.e. anaerobic) exercise, and diets containing beans, lentils, nuts, unsaturated fats (including carotene), and undercooked broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, and mustard greens. Many health conscious people become hypothyroid with a synergistic program of undercooked vegetables, legumes instead of animal proteins, oils instead of butter, carotene instead of vitamin A, and breathless exercise instead of stimulating life.”

"Anaerobic exercise (getting out of breath) increases the release of, or activity of, a large variety of inflammatory mediators, beginning with lactic acid and interleukin-6 releases from the exercised muscle itself, and including factors released from various cells in the blood, and hormones including estrogen, prolactin, and sometimes TSH.”

Last edited:
"I'm going to make you work hard," a blonde and perfectly muscled fitness instructor screamed at me in a recent spinning class, "so you can have that second drink at happy hour!"

OP
bodacious

bodacious

So I train with a university (olympic) weightlifting team and have helped out with the coaching for about 3 years.

We have guys eating 4000-5000 calories a day and cannot keep weight on. I'm very sceptical of the mechanistic view of calories in vs calories out, particularly with weight training.

In my own experience, I used to eat a surplus of calories (3000+) while maintaining a very lean physique.

Last edited:

Kasper

im always super hungry after weight lifting so i guess that is a good sign

Kasper

i dont know i do weight lifting for 40 min, i guess i use quite some glucose

but at least it doesnt seem to raise serotonin like cardio can do (and killing hunger)

superhuman

If your choices are sitting in front of the TV vs exercise, ALWAYS choose exercise. You will not gain a ***t from just sitting on your **** all day thinking you will ruin your metabolic rate if you do something.
Exercise is very broad, and it can be just moving.

Exercise should be fun and something you like doing. People look at exercise as just jogging to infinity with shitty breathing, shitty running technique etc etc etc

Kasper

If your choices are sitting in front of the TV vs exercise, ALWAYS choose exercise. You will not gain a **** from just sitting on your **** all day thinking you will ruin your metabolic rate if you do something.
Exercise is very broad, and it can be just moving.

Exercise should be fun and something you like doing. People look at exercise as just jogging to infinity with shitty breathing, shitty running technique etc etc etc

ray peat talks about having a stimulating life. and yes watching tv is maybe not the kind of stimulations that a human being needs. but there are more options, doesnt have to be exercise. like hang out with friends, make art, make music, find something you passionate about.

My girlfriend wants to loose some fat and she thinks she needs to go to the gym and ride the ****** bike there for god knows how long and just eat less etc etc. :grumpy:
It's so frustrating. I try to explain how she needs to just do fun activities and eat lots of carbs and protein and less fat etc.
In the end she just thinks she is too lazy and does nothing and eats a lot of fatty treats.
I guess that's better than crazy dieting and all the other ***t people are taught they need to do to loose weight. :???:

Peater Piper

So I train with a university (olympic) weightlifting team and have helped out with the coaching for about 3 years.

We have guys eating 4000-5000 calories a day and cannot keep weight on. I'm very sceptical of the mechanistic view of calories in vs calories out, particularly with weight training.

In my own experience, I used to eat a surplus of calories (3000+) while maintaining a very lean physique.
I assume O-lifting would be right up Peat's alley. It's mostly concentric contractions, though you'll have some eccentric motions during ancillary work. Usually very few reps, so breathlessness isn't an issue. Improves coordination and flexibility. Should improve hormonal profile. I trained at a weightlifting club for a little while, though I wasn't very good, but most of the people had great physiques. Lean, but a lot of muscle, so I can't imagine they were undereating.

The whole problem is seeing a dichotomy lazy-working. Thinking along this axis will not take you anywhere at least in terms of understanding.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals