Why You Should Eat Raw Meat

pro marker

It doesn't seem safe to consume raw tender cuts (tough ones are out of question), especially in large amounts and without doing anything to sterilize the surface (yerrag's suggestions of marinating and freezing are great because they control microbes present on and in the meat). Slicing and discarding the outer parts must be better than nothing.
ive eaten everything under the sun, store bought and from local farms, never had any issues. raw chicken livers, rotten eggs etc... i had horrible reactions to lamb though, the 2 times i ate raw lamb.

Nomane Euger

no. i ate eggs, meat and bone marrow, and liver kidneys. most people on a carnivore diet have really strong teeth. and ive never heard of someones teeth improving after quitting a zerocarb diet.
did you drink calcium rich mineral water?was you taking the sun alot,vitamin d supplement?egg shell?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Awesome podcast @Tarmander. I was eating a lot of raw local grass fed beef this time last year mostly for practical reasons and really enjoyed it. It was super smooth on digestion. My husband would probably be glad if I started doing that again since it would cut down on the clean up! I was working 12 hour night shifts at the time so it was hard to judge how I felt. I might try it again since my circadian rhythm seems to be getting back to normal.

bennyha

I ate raw meat and drank raw milk all summer while working in the sun and felt amazing. I’m almost 40 and it was the best I’ve felt in years. Naturally kept body fat under 10% and was in the sun shirtless 10 hours most days and just turned golden brown and never once peeled. Also my teeth were amazing and my skin never looked better. Only problem is with winter here in the Midwest I find it much more difficult to stick to and I don’t crave it at all. When it’s cold here I prefer slightly cooked meat. I end up eating raw steak for breakfast, raw milk during the entire day, then lightly cooked steak for dinner. I’ve tried all diets and this makes me feel best by far as well

OP
Tarmander

Tarmander

Well this should be fun. :D
♥️

Have listened to a few podcasts already. They are great.

Don't have time to listen to this one atm but i guess you covered most of it in the post?

What would you think is the major reason for the mostly positive response youve got?

You've mentioned the gut microbiome. Is it the live bacteria on the raw meat that make positive change? Couldn't this lead to potential issues especially long term?
Or could alot of benefits stem from the meat not being cooked and therefore you are not "destryoing" nutrients and thus assimilate/absorb more?

I also find the weight loss and muscle building benefit realy interesting. Can the body use the protein more efficiently? and if so, why? Enzymes/bacteria?
Or does the gut microbiome change result in vast changes trough the entire body up to the point where you have an increased protein synthesis? Better protein turnover on a cellular level?

To bad i am not realy to much medically informed and can't make much sense of the blood work. Curious how the others are going to interpret it.
The podcast will give a lot more details then this short write up

As far as why raw meat, it's kind of a mystery. Could be there are enzymes or glycogen in the meat that make the difference. Really haven't been able to find anything definitive on why raw meat over cooked makes such a difference. Some say it needs way less pancreatic enzymes to digest.

The muscle building could also just be the fact that I am consuming 150g+ of protein per day. It was difficult to get those numbers back when bloating and other problems were an issue. Raw meat is so easy to eat.

OP
Tarmander

Tarmander

Thanks for the detailed report and the work you put into this. A few questions for clarification:

1) Do you exclusively eat raw meat? Or do you cook it occasionally? I'm thinking it's not practical when you're eating out.
2) You mention wasabi as supplemental food. Is it the plant or the horseradish mixed with mustard?
3) Which meat cuts would advice against eating raw?

I have eaten beef cuts raw before and enjoy them very much (Rindstatar it's called, some beef cut, ground it, and then form it to a patty with added olive oil, vinegar, maybe some mayonnaise, some mustard and salt). Would not have imagined that eating raw meat regularly would make such a difference. Now, I'm definitely motivated to try it out.
1. No I eat other foods like beans, cauliflower, honey, rice crackers, etc.
2. Wasabi is real wasabi but powdered
3. I havent tried raw chicken. I tend to go with the leaner cuts because raw fat is very rich and kind of gross.
You would think that if raw meat is that potent, people would be eating it left and right. Or at least it would have been more prevalent in historical times, especially in communities who regularly hunt.

Is it generally the risk of infection that keeps people scared of raw meat?

I wonder if you can get around that issue by blasting raw meat with UV light or something.
I was just reading William Durant's history of civilization and he says that tribal peoples loved raw meat. If they came across a recently dead animal, it was like open season and it would be rapidly devoured and only the bones would be left.

I think raw meat is so taboo most people never try it or are afraid of it. Some dry meat agers have UV lights in them.

reaching

Every time I eat raw meat, I think, "Why the hell don't I do this all the time?"
I love raw beef and if you can work yourself up to it, raw chicken is also amazing (depending on quality of course).
I am easily satisfied after eating 75 to 100 grams of raw flesh. I have no bloating and it digests so easily.
I think it's important to not consume lots of liquids around raw flesh if you do not have strong stomach acid levels or perhaps a compromised immune system and you're eating a bunch of garbage.

I can easily eat 400 to 500 grams of cooked and seasoned flesh. It's addicting almost. A great charred, steak and still raw or rare in the middle but like others have said, cooked meat in excess feels like it just sits in my stomach forever.

Cooked meat just really tastes a lot better. The palatability is much higher when you cook and season it. I think most primal dieters will attest to it.
If you're curious about some other people who thrive on raw stuff definitely check out this dude: Login • Instagram

He has a youtube channel and eats almost raw everything aside from some cooked potato.

Check out this dude's most recent blood work testosterone levels:

I don't eat a completely raw diet because it's not really practical with my lifestyle but I do wonder what it would be like to just commit to it.

One thing that I do notice is that my mood really improves when I eat raw flesh.
I am not even expecting it or eating raw flesh for that but I do notice it.

I have been eating raw beef and chicken flesh and organs (livers, hearts) for about a year and still haven't gotten sick.
The only times I have ever gotten food poisoning was from nasty **** fried chicken sauce in South Korea and Pizza hut in Chinese airport.

yerrag

Although topic is on beef and lamb, just a word of caution. Eating raw is never done on pork, in case someone hasn't read the memo. Pigs are similar to humans in that transplants between the two are less rejected, as with hearts. I say this on a relative basis. So they also share common susceptibility to pathogens. So transmission of microbes will occur readily eating raw pork. This is why cannibalism is frowned upon, not just for humans. Animals know not to eat their own, as a rule. When my black mollies die, no Molly will want to eat the carcass. They usually end up floating, for me to pick up and discard. But the same mollies will readily eat carcass of other fish.

DaveFoster

i eat my meat slighty cook on the outside,the smallest fire as possible,its kinda white greyish color,i do grassfed lamb/beef this way,amazing,well cooked is utterly disgusting in texture.for steaks,i dont enjoy it at all,not as much flavor as there isnt the mixture fat/protein of the ground beef,and there is a low of fibers like pieces that are unechewable that you still have to chew to extact all the juice and then spit it out,boring,not appreciable,thats for fresh meat,when the meat is matured like 1 month and 2 weeks,thats another animal,it can be utterly epic,flavor you would never expect meat to have.Grass fed lamb liver just pan each side very low temperature and warm inside but raw is delicious
Blue steak is much easier to eat than when cooked raw, and doing so is more socially acceptable.

reaching

Yes. I think I would stay away from raw chicken too.

Pork is understandable. Pigs don't sweat. They are foul creatures.
I never thought about their proximity to humans genetically or evolutionary or whatnot but that does had an extra level of unsettling.
However, there is a German or Belgian raw pork mince dish and you do see people eat raw pork in raw paleo forums and on the internets.

Chickens are just dumb creatures. Makes me think of this vid:

Runenight201

Pork is understandable. Pigs don't sweat. They are foul creatures.
I never thought about their proximity to humans genetically or evolutionary or whatnot but that does had an extra level of unsettling.
However, there is a German or Belgian raw pork mince dish and you do see people eat raw pork in raw paleo forums and on the internets.

Chickens are just dumb creatures. Makes me think of this vid:

Pigs are much smarter animals than chickens, which is why consuming their meat is much healthier than eating dumb chickens or cows. The intelligence gets transferred through the meat so eating a pig will increase ones own intelligence while eating a chicken will turn a human brain more into a bird brain. Cows are not that high up on the intelligence either, trading off all their potential brain weight for digestive capabilities to digest all the grass and grain they have to eat. Pigs will eat at least 10% of their diet as other animals and fungi, providing their brains with the much needed proteins and fats for higher intelligence.

The best is definitely Dolphins. Those little dudes have a brain to body mass ratio rivaling that of humans, which is why they must be exterminated or else they could eventually evolve past humans and become our masters. Luckily we are limiting their food supply by overfishing the oceans so that they will not have the raw fuel capacity to evolve past us. However, the heating up of the oceans could lead to them discovering how to cook fish proteins, leading to higher bioavailability of the nourishment and a corresponding evolutionary leap of their brains. This is why things like Sea World and other aquariums are a good thing because it keeps them submissive and prevents them from realizing their own agency and attempting to demand rights or autonomy. They can also be purposely malnourished with a diet high in dumb bottom feeder critters, keeping them stupid enough to believe that their ultimate realization is an existence spent in subservience to humans.

reaching

Pigs are much smarter animals than chickens, which is why consuming their meat is much healthier than eating dumb chickens or cows. The intelligence gets transferred through the meat so eating a pig will increase ones own intelligence while eating a chicken will turn a human brain more into a bird brain. Cows are not that high up on the intelligence either, trading off all their potential brain weight for digestive capabilities to digest all the grass and grain they have to eat. Pigs will eat at least 10% of their diet as other animals and fungi, providing their brains with the much needed proteins and fats for higher intelligence.

The best is definitely Dolphins. Those little dudes have a brain to body mass ratio rivaling that of humans, which is why they must be exterminated or else they could eventually evolve past humans and become our masters. Luckily we are limiting their food supply by overfishing the oceans so that they will not have the raw fuel capacity to evolve past us. However, the heating up of the oceans could lead to them discovering how to cook fish proteins, leading to higher bioavailability of the nourishment and a corresponding evolutionary leap of their brains. This is why things like Sea World and other aquariums are a good thing because it keeps them submissive and prevents them from realizing their own agency and attempting to demand rights or autonomy. They can also be purposely malnourished with a diet high in dumb bottom feeder critters, keeping them stupid enough to believe that their ultimate realization is an existence spent in subservience to humans.

OP
Tarmander

Tarmander

I've been eating raw meat until I find out about Toxoplasma gondii. This parasite is in raw meat. It doesn't create much health issues but there is evidence that it might slightly change our behavior into being more reckless. It's most likely all BS, but I'm kind of scared about brain changes. If it can make us behave like a different person then that would mean that "me" is going to be on pause until future medicine can fix my brain into original mode.
I guess you could say I am more reckless. I have no fear or anxiety. I want to grab life by the balls and fight it and laugh as I lose. It is incredibly addictive... and freeing. I guess if it's from this parasite I am committed, but seems unlikely.
I've eaten raw meat exclusively in the past. For well over a year.

It's not the cure all messiah that people seem to shout from the mountain tops. It had no benefit to what's so ever.

That's not to say it doesnt help people, but I dont understand how as it didnt benefit me at all. It made me get horrible gas pains in my colon from undigested meat passing through. I was able to eat an enormous amount of raw fat with out bowel disturbances.

I do eat a lot of raw food now, but in the form of fruits and dairy. I dont think ill never go back to raw meat.

I can say I never got sick from it, and I've eaten some questionable things raw. Super market meat from Walmart. Non sushi grade salmon and other fish like whole sardines(their stomachs are NASTY). I've fermented my meat for 30+ days in a jar and ate a piece everyday as a "probiotic supplement" only effect I had was a slight uptick in energy. Rotten meat has a chemical called cadaverine which mimic amphetamine like effects. Dont let it fool you, it isnt that great. I've eaten so much nasty ***t in the realm of raw animal products to not one single health benefit.

The current RP/Thermo style diet has been of most benefit to me. I used to advocate raw meat, but now not so much.
That's interesting and good to get the other side of the argument. I think if you have good health, live in nature, and eat high quality food, you probably wouldnt notice the difference with raw meat as much. But living in a city the contrast is palpable.

Sscobalt

I say this with the utmost respect. This is one of the most ignorant posts I've ever read on the internet. You're talking about the muscle meat of an animal giving you a higher intelligence based upon what they ate...what?
For one, if you're worried about the health of your brain, muscle meat would benefit from nutrients it contains, obviously the most benefit would come from an animal eating their biologically appropriate diet.
To obtain the best nutrients for your brain you would eat...well their brain.
Intelligence doesnt get transferred through meat. You make yourself intelligent by working out your mind, learning and expanding consciousness. You need a healthy body to do so.

Pork is also not something that is superior over beef. Eating pork does not make you smarter than eating beef.

Such ignorance. Please think before you speak. Or eat some pork before hand, it might help you. Not me or anyone else

Sscobalt

I guess you could say I am more reckless. I have no fear or anxiety. I want to grab life by the balls and fight it and laugh as I lose. It is incredibly addictive... and freeing. I guess if it's from this parasite I am committed, but seems unlikely.

That's interesting and good to get the other side of the argument. I think if you have good health, live in nature, and eat high quality food, you probably wouldnt notice the difference with raw meat as much. But living in a city the contrast is palpable.
I live in florida, during that time I really spent most of my days outside, barefoot, no shirt in the sun. Swam in the fresh spring water almost daily. I just felt like ***t most of the time

OP
Tarmander

Tarmander

where you eating bone or any source of calcium or even with out calcium it stenghned your teeths?
I have been experimenting with putting bones in a crock with vinegar and water to soften them up, then eating them. Seems to be very relaxing and helps my blood sugars stay stable. Very different then any other kind of calcium supplementation I have done.
"The gut microbiomes of mice fed raw and cooked meat were similar in composition and transcriptional profile (Fig. 1b–d, Supplementary Fig. 1d–e), although we were still able to detect 12 modules and 68 orthologous groups with significant differences in expression (Supplementary Table 3a–b [there are 200 tabs])."​

- Cooking Has Variable Effects on the Fermentability in the Large Intestine of the Fraction of Meats, Grain Legumes, and Insects That Is Resistant to Digestion in the Small Intestine in an in Vitro Model of the Pig's Gastrointestinal Tract

"In the human diet, protein sources are usually cooked before consumption. This heat treatment does have consequence on the digestibility and the subsequent intestinal fermentation of these foods. In this study, cooking treatments that mimic common cooking practices in industrial and domestic kitchens were applied to meats, insects and grain legumes."
"[..]ingredients, in the raw state and after cooking using several methods, were incubated with pepsin and pancreatin to assess their digestibility. The residues obtained after enzymatic digestion were incubated with a bacterial inoculum from porcine faeces to simulate the fermentation occurring in the large intestine."​
"Beef muscle (Longissimus dorsi) and chicken breast (Pectoralis major) were chosen as animal protein and cut in small meat pieces of approximatively 60 g (6 × 3 × 2 cm). Some samples were directly frozen (-20 °C) to be used as raw meat and the rest were subjected to one of the following cooking methods:​
(a) immersion of meat pieces placed in individual plastic bags (polyamide/polyethylene; 15 × 20 cm; 90 microns) in a water-bath at 70 °C or 85 °C for beef and chicken samples respectively (mean cooking time: 40 min);​
(b) cooking in an oven at 175 °C with turning over every 2 min (mean cooking time: 17 and 39 min for beef and chicken samples respectively);​
(c) frying on a pan without addition of fat with turning over every 2 min (mean cooking time: 7 and 15 min for beef and chicken samples respectively).​

For all cooking methods, the meat temperature was monitored using a temperature probe (Testo 926, Lenzkirch, Germany) and the cooking was stopped when a core temperature of 70 °C or 85 °C was reached, for beef and chicken samples respectively according to the reference method of Boccard et al.[26]."​
"[Despite] drawbacks of the in vitro enzymatic digestion protocol that was used, our results showed that, working with raw ingredients, meats were highly susceptible to pepsin and pancreatin hydrolysis, followed by insects and finally by grain legumes. As a consequence, for each g of ingredient consumed, the quantity of dietary components available as energy source for microbiota in the large intestine was negatively correlated (correlation coefficients of -0.81, -0.83, -0.71 between IVDMD and gas, SCFA, H2S productions respectively) to the digestibility in the upper GIT."​
"As cooked meats were less digestible (P < 0.05), a higher amount of dietary components were available as energy source for microbiota during in vitro fermentation for each g of ingredient ingested. This was reflected by the higher productions (P < 0.001) of all fermentation products (total gas (A), SCFA, H2S - correlation coefficients of -0.85, -0.80 and -0.64 respectively compared to IVDMD) measured in this experiment when cooked meats were fermented. Among SCFA, propionate molar ratio was increased (P < 0.001) as result of the thermal treatment. Comparing thermal treatments, a higher (P < 0.05) H2S production was observed when meats were previously oven-cooked."​
"So the in vitro fermentation of raw meats resulted in low quantities of fermentation products (gas, SCFA, H2S). In addition to the quantity of fermentation products, the kinetics of gas production are affected by the ingredient. Gas production was fast when residues of raw meat were incubated with porcine inoculum, probably because these ingredients contain more soluble peptides than other tested ingredients[14]."​
"BCFA are indicators of protein fermentation[17]. They can be produced from the deamination of branched chain AA (valine, leucine and isoleucine) by many gut genera like Bacteroides spp., Propionibacterium spp., Streptococcus spp. and Clostridium spp.[40]. The molar ratio of BCFA is directly related to the quantity of dietary protein available for bacterial fermentation after digestion by pepsin and pancreatin."​
"Application of a heat treatment altered the availability of dietary nutrients from insects and, to a lesser extent, from meats, as indicated by the reduction in IVDMD. Influence of heat treatment was more pronounced for insects than for meats, probably because the thermal treatment was harsher than for meats for sanitation purposes. This change in digestibility after cooking leads to a higher supply of dietary components in the large intestine, which is reflected by an increased total gas production after 72 h of fermentation except for mealworms larvae. Similarly, SCFA and H2S productions were also higher with cooked insects and meats than with raw ones, more markedly for insects (1.6 and 4.3 fold increase for SCFA and H2S productions with insects 357 vs. 1.3 and 1.6 fold increase with meats). Heat treatment also induces an increase in the propionate molar ratio. Limiting H2S production is beneficial because this component is reputed as toxic to the intestinal mucosal barrier via DNA damage, alteration of the cellular respiration[41] and inhibition of the butyrate oxidation in colonocytes[42]. As H2S originates from the fermentation of sulfur-containing AA and of dietary and mucinous inorganic sulfur by sulfate-reducing bacteria[43], the increase in H2S could be explained by an alteration of methionine and cysteine at temperatures around 120 °C, making them more resistant to enzymatic hydrolysis in the small intestine and thus more available as fermentation substrate in the large intestine[44,45]." Was is boiling?
"Among ingredients from animal origin, cooked meats should be preferred to cooked insects due to their higher small intestinal digestibility and their little response to heat treatment, notably in relation to the increase in the production of H2S after cooking."​
"For starchy grain legumes (lentils, peas and beans), a heat treatment exerted the opposite effect compared to animal proteins and improve the availability of nutrients including starch, as highlighted by the increase in IVStarchD values."​
"H2S production after 24 h of in vitro fermentation was also reduced with cooked lentils and peas but, surprisingly, it increased with cooked beans compared to raw ones."​
"According to our results, cooking has variable effects according to the ingredient. So consumption of cooked ingredients from animal origin could be associated with higher quantities of fermentation products although less SCFA and gas are produced when cooked grain legumes are ingested compared to raw ones. Concerning the SCFA production, we can also notice that application of heat treatment to ingredients from animal and plant origin increased the proportion of propionate by comparison with the total SCFA production. The reason why propionate is increased by cooking is unknown and needs further investigation.​
This is really interesting. If I understand it...Raw Meat is less likely to be fermented in the gut then cooked meat. Many say cooked meat in high amounts causes constipation so this would be consistent.

I guess that makes Raw meat super Peaty right?

OP
Tarmander

Tarmander

I say this with the utmost respect. This is one of the most ignorant posts I've ever read on the internet. You're talking about the muscle meat of an animal giving you a higher intelligence based upon what they ate...what?
For one, if you're worried about the health of your brain, muscle meat would benefit from nutrients it contains, obviously the most benefit would come from an animal eating their biologically appropriate diet.
To obtain the best nutrients for your brain you would eat...well their brain.
Intelligence doesnt get transferred through meat. You make yourself intelligent by working out your mind, learning and expanding consciousness. You need a healthy body to do so.

Pork is also not something that is superior over beef. Eating pork does not make you smarter than eating beef.

Such ignorance. Please think before you speak. Or eat some pork before hand, it might help you. Not me or anyone else
it was a joke bro

pro marker

p

please give me any sort of proof or logic behind this statement.

EDIT: i now realise this is a joke. but with the crazy people ive met online, nothing surprises me anymore lol