Why You Need Calcium And Fat (Butyrate) To Be Fit And Healthy

amethyst

Calcium and specifically, a certain acid called Butyrate, found in full fat dairy, is what is needed to keep you healthy, fit and living longer.

The Health Benefits of Butyrate: Meet the Anti-Inflammatory Fat

The Health Benefits of Butyrate: Meet the Anti-Inflammatory Fat

(from the article):

" Butyrate is a type of fatty acid that helps your gut work right, and it might be important for gut-related diseases from autoimmunity to obesity to colon cancer. Here’s what it does, and how to make sure you’re getting enough of it.

You can get butyrate from food or supplements, but your gut flora can also make it out of fiber. Healthy gut flora digest food by fermenting it. When they ferment certain types of fiber, they create butyrate.

Your digestive system needs butyrate to function properly. Butyrate helps control the growth of the cells lining the gut, to make sure there’s good balance between old cells dying and new cells being formed. It’s also the most important source of energy for those cells.

Powering the lining of the gut would be important enough, but butyrate also has powerful anti-inflammatory effects that go beyond the gut. Ultimately, the anti-inflammatory benefits are helpful for…

Cancer Protection

Butyrate is most famous for protecting against colon cancer. The protection comes from its anti-inflammatory effects, which reduce oxidative stress and help control free radical damage. This review connected colon cancer risk to a lower amount of bacteria that produce butyrate.

Immunity And Autoimmunity

This review goes over the effects of butyrate on the immune system. The overall anti-inflammatory effects are already an immune benefit – inflammation is an immune response, and controlling inflammation helps keep the immune response properly regularly. Butyrate may also have some other immune benefits. For example, it helps regulate the production and development of regulatory T-cells in the colon.

Regulatory T-cells help your body distinguish between itself and everything else. If that ability breaks down, your immune system might end up mounting a full-blown attack on your own pancreas (Type 1 Diabetes) or your own thyroid. It’s a pretty important job, and butyrate helps the T-cells stay on track.

In rats, butyrate also helps maintain healthy gut barrier function and reduce abnormal intestinal permeability (“leaky gut”). Gut barrier function is huge for immune health and avoiding autoimmunity. We also have some evidence that the butyrate-autoimmunity connection exists in people. For example, people with autoimmune (Type 1) Diabetes have a lack of butyrate-producing bacteria in their gut.

Therapy For Inflammatory Gut Diseases

Butyrate problems are also tied up with inflammatory gut diseases (like Inflammatory Bowel Disease, including Crohn’s Disease and Ulcerative Colitis). For example, people with IBD have a reduced ability to metabolize butyrate. That might contribute to their inflammatory symptoms.

But there’s also good news! A recent study found that oral butyrate supplements (4 grams per day for 8 weeks) improved symptoms of Crohn’s Disease in 9 out of 13 patients: 2 significantly improved, and 7 actually went into remission. The researchers’ explanation was the anti-inflammatory effect of the butyrate.

Weight Loss

Speaking of autoimmune, inflammatory conditions, you know what else is on the list? Obesity (yes, obesity has an autoimmune component).

This review goes over the role of short-chain fatty acids, including butyrate, on weight and obesity. There are actually some conflicting data on this. Some studies show that obese humans have increased amounts of butyrate in their feces. But other studies suggest that people with obesity have a lower ability to ferment carbohydrates into butyrate. Normal-weight people have more butyrate-producing bacteria in their gut than obese people. If you take the gut flora from a normal person and transplant them into the colon of someone with metabolic syndrome, the recipient’s insulin sensitivity improves along with their ability to ferment carbohydrates into butyrate.

There are also some other ways that butyrate might affect body weight. There’s some evidence that it suppresses appetite by affecting the levels of hormones in the gut. In mice, it also influences metabolism and energy expenditure, and pushes the body towards burning more fat for energy.

It’s not totally clear what exactly all the relationships are – there’s probably a whole tangle of adaptations and counter-adaptations and overcompensation going on. But the takeaway seems to be that butyrate is one more reason why you need a healthy gut for sustainable weight loss."

(read the rest of the article at link)

Some other links validating how beneficial calcium and it's full fat is:

The Full-Fat Paradox: Whole Milk May Keep Us Lean

Cheese: the secret to a longer life and faster metabolism?

High-fat cheese: the secret to a healthy life?

Dairy, Calcium, and Weight Management in Adults and Children – Functional Performance Systems (FPS)

Last edited:

Ahanu

Thank you. Very interesting. I love the full fat paradox. My grandmother ate everyday butter and drank milk till her death at 101 with having a clear mind till the end. I never understood the fat paranoia.

Milk is really delicious

But whenever i eat it
For more than 2 to 3 days

I got inflammated intestines

I prefer meat not muscle me

I eat 1 pound to 2 pounds

I eat a pound in a sitting
And it is very well digested

Milk caused me fat stomach
Bloated and gazzy one

A lil bit of yogurt can do the game

I disagree.

Your title says "to be fit" but fitness has little to do with diet. It has to do with movement; resistance training, cardiovascular training and flexibility training. Although some people may include "health" in their definition of "fit," most regard fitness as strength, robustness, vigor, athleticism, toughness, muscularity, good condition, good shape. Prisoners eat a poor diet but are still fit due to movement.

I think the production of butyrate from our bacteria is the most natural and healthiest way to get butyrate. I think the direct overconsumption of it in dairy fat can lead to problems. It may turn out that we can make it from fiber and starch because that's how we evolved when no milking animal was around.

The first study they posted says "A prospective population-based cohort study with two surveys 12 years apart."

Surveys are not objective. They are not controlled.

The authors also don't know that the fat in milk barely has any vitamins. It has tiny amounts of A, K2 if you're lucky, no E, and D is synthetically added. It's not a practical source of those vitamins. It's not the fat in milk that is valuable. It's the lactose, calcium, and casein that are valuable and those aren't in the fat.

In the other article, Dr. Wendy Chan She Ping Delfos says "Diets containing high levels of protein, calcium and vitamin D, among other bioactive nutrients can be an important part of a prudent weight loss or weight maintenance diet."

I can't take the people in that article seriously because they actually believe that one can obtain enough vitamin D from food. There is no non-supplemented foodstuff that can provide enough vitamin D to maintain optimal blood levels year round without giving you too much of something that you don't want, like cod liver oil.

My grandmother ate everyday butter and drank milk till her death at 101 with having a clear mind till the end.

She was lucky. To simply point to her fat consumption as the main driver and to then implement that for yourself may not be wise because it may not produce the same results. Also, as I pointed out here, 101 year old Fred Kummerow admitted that he had heart disease at the age of 89, after a lifetime of whole milk and cheese composition. If he didn't get his arteries cleared by surgery, he would have died sooner.

I never understood the fat paranoia.

Seeing as most people in western cultures are obese, there clearly is not a fat phobia. To the contrary, they can't get enough of it. People love cheese and dairy fat. They put it on everything. And they also love polyunsaturated cooking oils in the form of condiments like ranch dip and salad dressings, as well as fried foods like chips. Olive oil, which is mostly monounsaturated, is fattening too:

“Olive oil, though it is somewhat fattening, is less fattening than corn or soy oil, and contains an antioxidant which makes it protective against heart disease and cancer.” - RP

There are only very few people I know of in the health world that advocate low fat. And the only two people other than me that I can think of around here who are pro low fat are @Stryker and @tyw

Last edited:

Ahanu

Seeing as most people in western cultures are obese, there clearly is not a fat phobia. To the contrary, they can't get enough of it.
i meant here at the forum.
People love cheese and dairy fat. They put it on everything. And they also love polyunsaturated cooking oils in the form of condiments like ranch dip and salad dressings, as well as fried foods like chips.
i think people love cheese and dairy fat because it tastes delicious. i don´t think they love polyunsaturated cooking oils. I never met one who said: damn. this PUFA oil tastes so delicious. I think they were just let to believe that this kind of oil is healthy and they use it because its so cheap and convinient.
There are only very few people I know of in the health world that advocate low fat
i hear it a lot. i think every possible simplification has been there already. low fat-high fat-low carb-high-carb etc.. for me such simplifications do not make any sense. since i started listening to my taste my health improved dramatically. If i wake up and crave for fruits i will eat fruits. The same with butter, cheese, milk, coffee, meat, ice cream, chocolate,eggs.
When i have the desire to drink a redbull before going to sleep i drink it and i will sleep like a baby but my girlfriend then asks me what is wrong with me haha.

with all the information there is today i could not honestly tell someone to not eat diary fat when his/her taste demands it.

i meant here at the forum.

Still, I don't see really anyone but me. And it's not a "phobia." It's an argument based on research, observation and experience.

i think people love cheese and dairy fat because it tastes delicious.

Fried chicken taste delicious too.

I never met one who said: damn. this PUFA oil tastes so delicious.

But I've met many who said ranch dip, mayo, salad dressing, and fried foods do taste so delicious.

i could not honestly tell someone to not eat diary fat

You don't have to.

Ahanu

Fried chicken taste delicious too.
fry it in lard or in clariefied butter and you will taste the difference
But I've met many who said ranch dip, mayo, salad dressing, and fried foods do taste so delicious.
see above, if you exchange the fats people will like the taste even more. but they don´t like because everyone says butter makes you fat.

here Ray Peat on that matter:
"Two other ideas that sometimes cause people to avoid drinking milk and eating cheese are that they are “fattening foods,” and that the high calcium content could contribute to hardening of the arteries.

When I traveled around Europe in 1968, I noticed that milk and cheese were hard to find in the Slavic countries, and that many people were fat. When I crossed from Russia into Finland, I noticed there were many stores selling a variety of cheeses, and the people were generally slender. When I lived in Mexico in the 1960s, good milk was hard to find in the cities and towns, and most women had fat hips and short legs. Twenty years later, when good milk was available in all the cites, there were many more slender women, and the young people on average had much longer legs. The changes I noticed there reminded me of the differences I had seen between Moscow and Helsinki, and I suspect that the differences in calcium intake were partly responsible for the changes of physique.

In recent years there have been studies showing that regular milk drinkers are less fat than people who don't drink it. Although the high quality protein and saturated fat undoubtedly contribute to milk's anti-obesity effect, the high calcium content is probably the main factor."
You don't have to.
sorry, i mean i think it is negligent when people say it.

Ahanu

Drinking a gallon of milk per day, using 1% milk fat is usually good for a sedentary person, full fat tends to be fattening unless a person is doing hard physical work." - RP
who drinks a gallon? 1 liter per day than the fat is no problem.

InChristAlone

As an anecdote I was trying to be vegetarian during my first pregnancy and my son has short stature. My 2 nd pregnancy I was more WAPF and drank a glass of raw milk a day with plenty of fats also did more fruit towards the end and he is 3.5 yrs younger than my 1rst and has caught up to him in growth at 4.5!!

who drinks a gallon? 1 liter per day than the fat is no problem.

Ah so there is a limit.

It's not just the fat in milk. A person can also eat alongside butter, cream, sour cream, cheese, ice cream, ghee, and half and half.

zztr

The macro fixation is goofy. A bunch of surveys show that globally that as soon as people aren't dirt poor they tend to converge on very similar protein, carb, and fat intakes. Only poor people tolerate low fat and low protein. There's another thread on here uncritical of the idea that babies know what's best to eat and don't need to be forced.

People are fat because they overeat and are sedentary. It really is that simple. I really doubt soybean oil even matters as much as people try to pretend. Ok, it causes cancer, but it isn't why 20 year olds are obese.

T

tca300

@Ahanu I drink a gallon everday, and have for a long time. Ray says hes drank about a gallon a day for the last 50 years.

@Westside PUFAs Im moving more and more to really low fat as time goes on. I cant personally eat starch anymore because it gives me a "cold/flu" but over 70% of my calories come from carbohydrates. I have always been pro carbohydrates and getting by far the majority of calories from carbohydrates. Your not alone.

Also I think milk fat is at most 4% butyrate, so you would have to consume an awful lot of dairy fat to get a noticeable amount of that fatty acid.

T

tca300

I dont know about my liver. I drink 5 cups of coffee per day ~ 500mg caffeine. I dont drink over 3 cups at a time.

People are fat because they overeat and are sedentary. It really is that simple. I really doubt soybean oil even matters as much as people try to pretend. Ok, it causes cancer, but it isn't why 20 year olds are obese.

wow

T

tca300

@zztr Except that as Ray has mentioned, farmers found out decades ago that if they feed their livestock vegetable oil ( High in PUFA ) they could fatten them up with much less food. One of My sisters is 19, and is obese, but I eat much more than she does, and Im not.