Why You Hate Contemporary Architecture

Jamesu

I work in heritage and conservation if it's any consolation to my point...

TheSir

It makes me sad that nobody seems to be able to manage to apply the advances in technology and engineering to this innate human sense of aesthetics.
An article about ornamentation which I read long ago made a point about contemporary people fearing beauty. If someone was to design a breathtaking building that was to inhabit a central place in a city, it would most likely face fervent opposition. It would be too much for us to handle. It would remind us of our own degenerated form and corrupted morality. Orthodox Christians believe that both believers and God-deniers will go to God when we die, only the goodness of God will be a fiery hell for those who hate God. I think that there are people, many people, who would likewise find it tormenting to be around beautiful architecture.

JudiBlueHen

Forum Supporter
Deconstruction is everywhere. Very noticeable in many mundane commercial buildings. But also think of fashion. Who would have ever imagined buying new clothes with random holes torn in them and frayed, unhemed edges. Even most cars have gotten ugly and look like shrunken monster trucks - many of them look just plain brutish. Some contemporary art is beyond disgusting and yet public funds pay for it. Deconstruction, decay of sensibilities.

Back
Top Bottom