Why Would K2 MK-4 Lead To Feeling Terrible?

I tested this 3 separate times to make sure it was the cause. I'm using Thorne MK-4 drops.

Approximately 30 minutes after oral administration, I get a headache, jittery, feel fragile, and other symptoms which are similar to low blood sugar (blood sugar level is okay). In short, it triggers a stimulating fight or flight response. This is a shame, because I really would like to derive the benefits of MK-4.

My past history is SSRI usage and a painful withdrawal, which might have something to do with my reaction to MK-4.

Does anyone else have this reaction?

What might be the mechanisms behind it?

raypeatclips

Have you tried it topically?

I got negative symptoms from k2 orally due to it bothering my gut.

Ray has spoken about it similarly and thought the carrier oil was effecting his gut.

mistermr

What dose are you taking?

Are you also balancing it out with the other fat soluble vitamins (A and D)?

Higher doses should be balanced with the other fat solubles. Just thought I'd point that out

Djukami

I remember reading from one member here saying he had those same reactions...

What dose are you taking?

Are you also balancing it out with the other fat soluble vitamins (A and D)?

Higher doses should be balanced with the other fat solubles. Just thought I'd point that out
What happens if you don't balance it? I'm trying one drop of Thorne K2 daily, just because I bought it and it frustrates me that BBD is almost arriving and bottle is completely full, because I was afraid of imbalancing such things. And the supplement is not that cheap... So I wanted to try it since everyone says it is really safe. I try to get some sun and sometimes I only supplement with Vit D at the same time since I've seen many supplements that are made with both together.
My question is more about low calcium intake since Vit K is related to calcium metabolism.
I seem to not have any side effect, only now since the weather is hotter in my country and the flavor + warmed fat makes it a little disgusting to my stomach.
I wanted to store it in the fridge, but then I've read moisture can actually spoil the supplements... I don't know how you guys store it... perhaps a fat soluble vitamin is rather safe.

mistermr

1 drop is not that high but I would still make sure I'm getting the other fat solubles A and D. Liver and sunlight should be enough for just one drop of K2

Mossy

I am having a bad response to MK4 as well. I had been taking Thorne D/K2 with no problems, and wanted to increase my K2, based on all the positive comments on this forum. So, I purchased and am now taking additional Thorne K2. I wanted to start slowly, and add 1 extra drop (1mg) of K2, eventually working my way up to whatever would be a good amount. It's hard to limit the dropper, and yesterday day I accidentally put 4 drops on my hand, for oral consumption, so I thought I'd try it. It severely dries me out and makes my oral health worse, ironically. My mouth is very dry, my tongue is slightly swollen, and my joints and bones hurt. Even with a lower dose of K2, I noticed the joints hurting.

I see that mistermr suggests to balance things out with other fat soluble vitamins. I'm taking 4,ooo mg / 800 mcg of the combined D/K2, along with the separate K2 (1mg-4mg), but I'm not supplementing with any vitamin A. The reason, is that I find too much A severely drys me out as well. Is the general thought that adding Vitamin A could help me?

I do eat liver once a week.

Jsaute21

Isn't it dissolved in MCT oil and tocopherols? Hard to imagine either being a real irritant.

Mossy

I am having a bad response to MK4 as well. I had been taking Thorne D/K2 with no problems, and wanted to increase my K2, based on all the positive comments on this forum. So, I purchased and am now taking additional Thorne K2. I wanted to start slowly, and add 1 extra drop (1mg) of K2, eventually working my way up to whatever would be a good amount. It's hard to limit the dropper, and yesterday day I accidentally put 4 drops on my hand, for oral consumption, so I thought I'd try it. It severely dries me out and makes my oral health worse, ironically. My mouth is very dry, my tongue is slightly swollen, and my joints and bones hurt. Even with a lower dose of K2, I noticed the joints hurting.

I see that mistermr suggests to balance things out with other fat soluble vitamins. I'm taking 4,ooo mg / 800 mcg of the combined D/K2, along with the separate K2 (1mg-4mg), but I'm not supplementing with any vitamin A. The reason, is that I find too much A severely drys me out as well. Is the general thought that adding Vitamin A could help me?

I do eat liver once a week.

I'd like to add that a few days ago, a small square piece has been chipped out on the edge of my front tooth -- looks like the old video game Breakout. So, like I say, bad oral health and dryness. My diet is fairly strict Ray Peat, with a heavy Danny Roddy influence; so, I'm guessing it's the imbalance of D/K2/A, where the calcium is not properly being absorbed or distributed. That's a total layman's guess -- any more knowledgeable advice, or even total shots in the dark, would be appreciated.

Lutzzy

Rosemary added to most any oil will keep it from becoming rancid. Durk Pearson in life Extension used to use BHT in oils to preserve.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals