Why Would Dairy Cause Dandruff?

M

metabolizm

I know dairy works really well for some people, but for me I've noticed that it causes horrible flaky dandruff. (It might ALSO be causing my eyes to dry out, but I'm not 100% on the causality of this yet)
Can anyone explain why this would happen? Why to some and not others?
I suppose lactose intolerance is a possibility, but it seems so unlikely since I've basically been drinking milk my entire life.
What else could be going on?
I love milk and cheese and want to be able to consume them without these problems.
Why would dairy consumption directly result in scalp and skin inflammation (dryness, flakiness)?
For the record, I've tried all types of milk.

BearWithMe

You are not digesting it properly, not necessarily because of the lactose.

Improper digestion -> Bacterial overgrowth, endotoxin, gut irritation, increased gut permeability -> Dry skin, dry eyes, dandruff

You were eating milk in the past and it did not caused issues, and now it is causing issues?

Have you ever tried A2 milk? Non-homogenized milk? Lactose-free milk?

laleto12

I would guess gut irritation as well because when my gut health is not on point, I get dandruff and eczema.

OP
M

metabolizm

You are not digesting it properly, not necessarily because of the lactose.

Improper digestion -> Bacterial overgrowth, endotoxin, gut irritation, increased gut permeability -> Dry skin, dry eyes, dandruff

You were eating milk in the past and it did not caused issues, and now it is causing issues?

I think this is an accurate analysis of what is going on, and it will probably be best for me to stop drinking milk altogether - except or a splash in my morning coffee, and maybe occasional ice cream - until my gut issues and digestion have improved.

I suppose an ability to digest large amounts of milk is a sign of good gut health.

I’ll have to be careful not to become calcium deficient!

Last edited by a moderator:

BearWithMe

Have you tried any milk products like cheese? When I wasn't able to tolerate milk, I was tolerating cheese without problems.

Have used it as my main source of calcium (and good fat) for a while.

OP
M

metabolizm

Have you tried any milk products like cheese? When I wasn't able to tolerate milk, I was tolerating cheese without problems.

Have used it as my main source of calcium (and good fat) for a while.

I think I have the same problem with cheese, but possibly some cheeses will be less problematic than others. What cheese were you consuming? Are you tolerating milk now? Also, why do you think you were able to tolerate cheese but not milk?

Last edited by a moderator:

BearWithMe

Swiss varieties were by far the best for my digestion and overall health, but are expensive as hell. Edam, Gouda and Cheddar all worked fine, too.

These are all naturally lactose-free, or almost lactose-free.

It is important to buy good quality, traditionally made cheese without any colors, gums, and other additional cr#p. Preferably European import.

Yes, I'm tolerating milk now.

OP
M

metabolizm

Swiss varieties were by far the best for my digestion and overall health, but are expensive as hell. Edam, Gouda and Cheddar all worked fine, too.

These are all naturally lactose-free, or almost lactose-free.

It is important to buy good quality, traditionally made cheese without any colors, gums, and other additional cr#p. Preferably European import.

Yes, I'm tolerating milk now.

Ok, thanks. How did you manage to overcome your milk intolerance?

BearWithMe

Ok, thanks. How did you manage to overcome your milk intolerance?
Just the general, usual "Peaty" stuff. Eating plenty of good food, not eating bad food, improving metabolism, speeding up transit time, eliminating gut irritation & endotoxin, avoding (most) supplements, eliminating infections in the body... I did so many things at once it is hard to pinpoint one which helped the most, but one thing that was really, really helpful was drinking the milk warm, and with plenty of sugar.

OP
M

metabolizm

Just the general, usual "Peaty" stuff. Eating plenty of good food, not eating bad food, improving metabolism, speeding up transit time, eliminating gut irritation & endotoxin, avoding (most) supplements, eliminating infections in the body... I did so many things at once it is hard to pinpoint one which helped the most, but one thing that was really, really helpful was drinking the milk warm, and with plenty of sugar.

Thank you. So did you stop drinking milk for a while, and then return to it when you were feeling better? How much do you drink now?

What were the main gut irritants for you?

BearWithMe

Thank you. So did you stop drinking milk for a while, and then return to it when you were feeling better? How much do you drink now?

What were the main gut irritants for you?
Exactly. I'm drinking around 50oz / 1.5 liter a day.

Honestly, when the transit time is long and the digestion is poor, everything is a gut irritant.

Fillers, binders and flow agents in supplements are major one, and so are gums in subpar milk products.

Last edited:
Yep, my gut is chronically irritated.

The best way I found to heal my gut was to eat only fruits for a few weeks.

Not a lot of starchy fruits. Few peeled apples and few bananas a day.

So, pineapple, Dates, Berries, Smoothies, juices, Melons and a few cooked greens are your friend. (I even eat spinach raw when on this protocol). I have crohn's disease and spinach don't cause me any problems while it does balance minerals in fruits. (I said this in case you are afraid of raw vegetables)

Actually, this is how, for the first time in 15 years I managed to lower my calprotectin and CRP to be almost nonexistent.

MitchMitchell

I have this hypothesis that anything you drink that isn’t water might go down the digestive system too rapidly instead of being properly broken down by saliva + stomach acid + bile acids.

Then you’re likely to get bloated, water sucked into the gut, causing skin dehydration and irritation

I have this hypothesis that anything you drink that isn’t water might go down the digestive system too rapidly instead of being properly broken down by saliva + stomach acid + bile acids.

Then you’re likely to get bloated, water sucked into the gut, causing skin dehydration and irritation

I noticed that with mixing sugars with fats or proteins in a shake.

Fructose by itself would be absorbed high in the digestive tract.

Same like orange juice.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals