Why Would A Man Lose All Visible Underarm Hair?

Clyde

Even teenage girls have pigmented underarm hair so I'm not sure how this happens to a male. I had also lost all visible forearm hair even though I had normal brown forearm hair prior to puberty then no longer visible after about 20 years (just fine unpigmented vellus hair).

Unfortunately the only blood work I had done during this time was thyroid. I had a normal tsh 1.9 and below reference free t3 (about 30% below reference so Euthyroid Sick). But I was wondering low thyroid alone can cause this. I feel like I've seen lots of hairy hypothyroid people.

I couldn't really find much on this online. My guess is that you need both low thyroid and low androgens or maybe it's mtor suppression from very long term keto diet and I was surprised that head, eyebrow and other body hair have all thickened at the same time. I was assuming that if body hair and head hair would go in opposite directions but both increased for me after a mostly peat inspired diet.

Maybe it was the 20 grams of kirkland fish oil a day (and I felt smart about this lol). I read both keto and fish oil were helpful for chronic migraines so that's what that was about.

Last edited:
“Testosterone promotes body hair growth in men. As a result, one common symptom of low testosterone is a loss of body hair. You may notice thinning of your armpit or pubic hair. Many men find the change is most noticeable in their beard because they don't have to shave as often.”

Dawid

“Testosterone promotes body hair growth in men. As a result, one common symptom of low testosterone is a loss of body hair. You may notice thinning of your armpit or pubic hair. Many men find the change is most noticeable in their beard because they don't have to shave as often.”

Nonsense. I've had testosterone level below minimal range for years and very hairy body. Old people often have hairy body especially chest and other upper parts.

Nonsense. I've had testosterone level below minimal range for years and very hairy body. Old people often have hairy body especially chest and other upper parts.
It didn’t say “body” it said armpits and pubic hair. That isn’t a fact for all, but just a common cause for some, the “could be” part.

PopSocket

When I was on very high saturated fat based Keto I had the body hair of a girl - very little if any, usually thin blonde hairs, nothing on my back and very little on chest. I suspect it was the high SHBG levels. All other hormones were OK. I would check SHBG if I were you.

TheSir

Maybe it was the 20 grams of kirkland fish oil a day
That'd 13k IU of vitamin A on top of what you were getting from diets and supplements. RDA in most countries is around 2500, which might be too high to begin with. In one of his books Grant Genereux describes how he gradually lost his body hair as his subclinical A toxicity deepened. What other health issues are you suffering from?

OP
C

Clyde

That'd 13k IU of vitamin A on top of what you were getting from diets and supplements. RDA in most countries is around 2500, which might be too high to begin with. In one of his books Grant Genereux describes how he gradually lost his body hair as his subclinical A toxicity deepened. What other health issues are you suffering from?
I was getting daily migraines for decades but they're mostly gone after avoiding pufa and linoleic especially. After I heard RP talking about pufa I found a study showing linoleic acid could be involved in the pathology. People with migraines should give pufa avoidance a long trial.

But people never change one thing so it could be from other things or a combination. I'll never know.

OP
C

Clyde

I didn't know there could be that much vitamin a in fish oil. You would think it would be on the label. No more liver then.

I changed so many things after hearing a couple Ray Peat interviews and all at the same time. But the fish oil thing was the big punch in the gut. It's completely insane how industrial waste became an elixir.

I'm otherwise weirdly healthy all things considered.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals