Why there is no such thing as children being afraid of the dark and why people like sleeping "under the covers"

JamesGatz

Why are night lights so popular especially among young children ?

Why do people like laying "under the covers" while sleeping ?

images.jpg

Because darkness increases serotonin and what decreases serotonin ?

Being in a dimly lit room would decrease the serotonergic response from being in a pitch black room and increasing the body temperature via insulation (such as wearing bed covers over your body) also decreases the serotonergic response from being in a pitch black room

Therefore,

I do not believe there is such thing as being afraid of the dark - children just realize they don't like that serotonergic response and engage in activities to decrease it

Last edited:

SamYo123

Being afraid of the dark is normal, even as an adult, since the night is when demons are most active.
"Demons are most active"

Where your brain is most active

People swear they be fighting demons, whole time it's just consequences to their actions

Chad_Catholic

"Demons are most active"

Where your brain is most active

People swear they be fighting demons, whole time it's just consequences to their actions
The time in between 2am and 3am is referred to as the witch's hour, because this is when they perform their demonic rituals, and it's also the time--for people experiencing demonic infestation--when items fly off the wall, the dog starts growling or barking at "nothing", and when people are pulled right off their beds.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
That’s the same time people were most likely to die in the hospital setting. I always attributed it to the circadian rhythm’s influence on hormones.

SamYo123

The time in between 2am and 3am is referred to as the witch's hour, because this is when they perform their demonic rituals, and it's also the time--for people experiencing demonic infestation--when items fly off the wall, the dog starts growling or barking at "nothing", and when people are pulled right off their beds.
Ive only seen that in movies

Chad_Catholic

Ive only seen that in movies
It happens in real life, too. You should read up on the stories of Catholic saints who dealt with devils. They were often physically assaulted or even beaten nearly to death. St. Padre Pio is a much more recent example, and his stories were pretty well-documented. Other monks or priests would sometimes hear noises like chains and loud rumblings coming from his room.

artist

When I was having dysautonomia episodes at night (I would wake up to 150+ bpm heart rate/fluctuating blood pressure) my number one thing was I needed to turn all the lights in the room on. It was so instinctual like drinking water. This is something I would be doing in a frantic state and had no conscious/rational basis for. I really think it makes a difference in defusing an attack. Sometimes when I would try to turn the lights off and go to bed again the attack would start back and then I would simply sleep with the lights on and it was fine.

Waynish

Kind of a materialist explanation. What is more reductionist than reducing so many phenomena to a single molecule (serotonin)? Why isn't that "more reductionist" than reducing many things to genes? Fear of the unknown is natural and children are more open and sensitive than adults.

philalethes

Why are night lights so popular especially among young children ?

Why do people like laying "under the covers" while sleeping ?

View attachment 28776

Because darkness increases serotonin and what decreases serotonin ?

Being in a dimly lit room would decrease the serotonergic response from being in a pitch black room and increasing the body temperature via insulation (such as wearing bed covers over your body) also decreases the serotonergic response from being in a pitch black room

Therefore,

I do not believe there is such thing as being afraid of the dark - children just realize they don't like that serotonergic response and engage in activities to decrease it
Well, I'd say it's reasonable to believe that there's a reason why darkness produces a stressful response in the first place. To which extent you want to call varying levels of such stress "fear" depends on how you define it, but I'd argue that it's actually accurate to say that it really is due to humans being "afraid of the dark"; if you look at it from an evolutionary point of view it makes sense, considering how we've spent tens of millions of years evolving in the tropical equatorial rainforest, where our primary natural predators were leopards, which are nocturnal (and also that we've evolved to rely heavily on diurnal vision to both find food, mates, and avoid danger in general).

OP
JamesGatz

JamesGatz

Well, I'd say it's reasonable to believe that there's a reason why darkness produces a stressful response in the first place. To which extent you want to call varying levels of such stress "fear" depends on how you define it, but I'd argue that it's actually accurate to say that it really is due to humans being "afraid of the dark"; if you look at it from an evolutionary point of view it makes sense, considering how we've spent tens of millions of years evolving in the tropical equatorial rainforest, where our primary natural predators were leopards, which are nocturnal (and also that we've evolved to rely heavily on diurnal vision to both find food, mates, and avoid danger in general).
GOOD TRY but I'm too WOKE to fall for Masonic scams - I already posted proof that masons OPENLY ADMIT they planned evolution for a scam - 0 proof, 100% speculation - I don't fall for academic SCAMS but good try though

Huh. I wonder if this is why my anxiety is at its worst at night when I'm lying in bed. I might try sleeping with a light on and see if that helps.
Yea besides this I would say best thing is to NOT sleep on a polyester mattress - they cause A LOT of anxiety - so much damage, if youre able to sleep on a wool comforter on the floor you would experience no anxiety (if the floor is too hard you can buy a slab of cork for cheap to put under your head and body and you'll be golden

That and putting your phones and tablets in Faraday cages and in another room

philalethes

GOOD TRY but I'm too WOKE to fall for Masonic scams - I already posted proof that masons OPENLY ADMIT they planned evolution for a scam - 0 proof, 100% speculation - I don't fall for academic SCAMS but good try though
Well, I obviously think that's irrational and ignoring a rather large body of evidence (to put it mildly), but let's put that aside for the sake of argument and look at certain hunter-gatherer tribes that exist this very day in Africa and reply "lion" or "leopard" when asked what their biggest fear is; clearly they are still deathly afraid (and rightly so, since it's generally the largest threat to their lives) of these big cats, and these big cats are primarily nocturnal (not exclusively, but primarily), thus the people are at a significant disadvantage when it's dark, such as during the middle of the night (and at the equator the day/night cycles are pronounced all year round).

What I'm primarily getting at is that there seems to be lacking from your explanation an actual reason for why darkness triggers this serotonergic and melatonergic response that children don't like. To me it seems reasonable to call that response "fear", and that the reason it occurs is that nighttime is stressful due to the much higher risk of danger, since humans are primarily diurnal animals (like the other great apes, for those who "believe" in the scientific evidence).