Why the plat-based push?

ChemHead

Genuinely curious, are you able to keep up your body temperature and energy/vigour with only raw fruits and veggies, sprouts etc? Do you live in a cold or warm climate?
I've always naturally had issues with maintaining a "qualitative" body temp. Measuring with a thermometer, I'm fine. However, I've always gotten cold hands/feet. When I eat for the first time after waking, though, my body temp goes up within an hour or so. I'm also not completely recovered from my use of a pharmaceutical, so don't know how much of an effect that may be having. I know that it has likely compromised thyroid function. But, to answer your question, I don't really have body temp issues as long as I eat enough.

but in the long run (months to years) most will run into problems due to the lack of deep nourishment from animal products, see long-term fruitarians.
I actually think fruitarianism is very unhealthy long-term. I don't eat a lot of fruit. I try to keep it on the lower end of intake, focusing more on the carbs you get from microgreens and taking in more protein. Eating too much sugar is a good way to accelerate aging.

Korven

I've always naturally had issues with maintaining a "qualitative" body temp. Measuring with a thermometer, I'm fine. However, I've always gotten cold hands/feet. When I eat for the first time after waking, though, my body temp goes up within an hour or so. I'm also not completely recovered from my use of a pharmaceutical, so don't know how much of an effect that may be having. I know that it has likely compromised thyroid function. But, to answer your question, I don't really have body temp issues as long as I eat enough.

I actually think fruitarianism is very unhealthy long-term. I don't eat a lot of fruit. I try to keep it on the lower end of intake, focusing more on the carbs you get from microgreens and taking in more protein. Eating too much sugar is a good way to accelerate aging.

Ok thanks for your reply, and I hope you recover swiftly from the pharmaceutical poisoning! I've also struggled with cold hands and feet my entire life, it's gotten a lot better (though still not perfect) since improving my diet and taking NDT.

ChemHead

Ok thanks for your reply, and I hope you recover swiftly from the pharmaceutical poisoning! I've also struggled with cold hands and feet my entire life, it's gotten a lot better (though still not perfect) since improving my diet and taking NDT.
As I sit here in my house, which is currently 60° F, having eaten a couple hours ago, my hands and body are warm. I was cold, though, before I started eating today.

LLight

I eat a diet of mostly raw plants. So, I eat a lot of leafy greens, vegetables, a lot of sprouted microgreens, some fruits. I rarely eat nuts, but I do eat a couple Brazil nuts a week. I eat a lot of microgreens grown from pulses and seeds.. Lots of lentil microgreens, a couple various bean sprouts, broccoli sprouts, flax sprouts, Chia sprouts, sunflower sprouts. When I eat cooked foods, I feel noticeably more tired.

When I had very prolonged poor digestion caused a nasty pharmaceutical, it became very easy to distinguish which foods were more of a digestive burden. I formerly could not digest pulses.. Cooked beans and lentils, especially black beans due to my digestive issues. My gut would bloat up within 30 minutes of eating and remain that way for over 24 hours and they would come out almost completely undigested. However, if I sprouted the pulses into microgreens and ate only the shoots and removed any remaining seed/bean that was attached, I had zero issues with digestion.

I now have zero issues digesting cooked beans/pulses due to improvement in my condition. However, due to my experience in discovering the digestibility of microgreens compared to seeds or beans, I don't eat them cooked or raw.. And I generally don't eat nuts for the same reason. By growing them into microgreens, the food comes with its own enzymes, it's already been broken down into simple sugars, fatty acids, and amino acids, antinutrients are neutralized, and various phytochemicals, flavanoids, anthocyanidins, etc. are either developed or remain intact.

Because of these things, my body does not have to expend an excessive amount of energy producing digestive enzymes to break down the food I consume. I let sprouting, the enzymes within the plants, and bacteria do most of the work so that my body can allocate the energy it saves toward something else. The only real downside to eating the way I do is the time it takes in learning and developing a completely different lifestyle and the volume of food and the amount of chewing I have to do in order to ensure I'm getting sufficient nutrition.
Thanks for your answer!

Dr. B

Genuinely curious, are you able to keep up your body temperature and energy/vigour with only raw fruits and veggies, sprouts etc? Do you live in a cold or warm climate?

I was WFPB for a couple of years and it worked "fine" as I went into it already being healthy and lived in a warm tropical climate with lots of sunshine and sweet juicy fruits. Whenever I've tried to eat a vegan diet during winter in Scandinavia it quickly makes me feel cold, frail and miserable.

I agree with @Mufasa's perspective on anti-endotoxin foods and pro-endotoxin foods. Fruits, salads, raw vegetables are anti-endotoxin and can make you feel a lot better by reducing inflammation, but in the long run (months to years) most will run into problems due to the lack of deep nourishment from animal products, see long-term fruitarians. Vice versa, animal products, refined starches, hamburgers, milkshakes etc are very pro-metabolic and great for giving you strength and nourishment, but if you overdo them and/or have a low metabolism and weak digestion they can cause endotoxic reactions.

For me the key is to balance both of these; having a glass of cold-pressed pomegranate juice with your ground beef and rice, and some anti-endotoxin spices like fresh ginger.
what is WFPB

why are refined starches pro metabolic, also why do you use pomegranate juice specifically

Sunrise

No

No, it's not. People tend to want to idealize what should or shouldn't be eaten based on the fact that certain nutrients are more prevalent in meat or dairy or plants than one or the other and say that, for example, since you can't get vitamin B12 from plants in any significant amount, this is proof that you should or are meant to eat meat. I don't see it this way. I have a very high maintenance diet. It takes a lot of effort and time to ensure that I get everything I need on a daily basis. However, in return, I have an extremely low inflammatory burden and a greater surplus of energy.

We now live in a world where we can pick and choose the most efficient ways to get all the nutrients we need, whether through food or supplements. Before the industrial era, we had no choice but to eat certain foods in order to survive and be as healthy as possible because we didn't have the advanced accumulated biochemical knowledge we collectively have now. Some of those food choices were only ideal because they were the only choice. Now, in our modern world, I can get an intravenous infusion of vitamin c. Is that bad because it isn't natural? Certainly not. The truth is that we don't live in an ideal world and you're going to make compromises in one way or another depending on what you eat. If you choose to eat a WFPB diet, you're going to spend more time eating to get the calories you need and you'll probably need to put in more effort and time into preparing foods and ensuring that you're getting everything you need, nutritionally. However, the benefit is that (assuming you're not consuming fried foods or PUFA oils) you'll have a much lower inflammatory burden on the body than if you were consuming meats and dairy.

It's all about your body's ability to produce cellular energy. The amount of energy your body has is a function of the amount of chemical energy you take in (food), minus the amount of energy required for that chemical energy to be converted into something useful to the body, minus your systemic load... the amount of energy generally required for you to exist. Everything I do and consume is based on how to maximize the net energy surplus of the body in this equation. I eat foods that are very easy to digest, low in calories, highly nutrient dense, and as low as possible in inflammatory load.

So, the metrics I use to choose what I eat are:

1. what is the net or overall energetic effect the food has on the body? This can be thought of as the amount of energy required to digest or turn the food into something useful to the body subtracted from the amount of energy it actually gets from that food. So...

(energetic value of the food) - (energetic "cost" of the food) = net energy gain/loss

This doesn't just apply to the digestion of food, but also downstream effects. If you consume something that contains things that are harmful and cause inflammation, this "costs" additional energy because your body has to dispatch resources to take care of that inflammation. This is also why when you are younger, you can abuse your body more and not see immediate negative consequences... because your body's biological machinery are in peak condition and the body's cells produce more than enough energy to handle whatever burden is thrown their way. However, continued abuse causes gradual cellular senescence and the cells "forget" how to properly function and don't produce energy as they once did.

2. what useful or essential biochemicals/minerals/nutrients do you get from the food?

I choose what I eat to maximize both of these elements, including supplements. So, as an example, if I had to choose between eating sunflower seeds or sprouted sunflower microgreens, I would choose the microgreens. The reasoning behind this is that: take for example, the fats in sunflower seeds... for them to be useful, my body will have to break down the fats into fatty acids that the body will be able to utilize. If I let the sunflower seeds sprout into microgreens, I allow that natural process to break down the fats for me so that I don't have to do it and it doesn't "cost" me energy. Likewise, if I have to choose between cooked lentils or sprouted lentil microgreens, I would pick the microgreens because the sprouting will break down the proteins in the lentils to amino acids and shorter peptides... less work for my body. In addition, also consider that you're not denaturing proteins or fats into something that might potentially be not very useful.
I ate subflower microgreens and one hour after I drink some milk I never have problem with. Thzt day I felt terrible, headzche, bloating, diarrhea. I do not know if the microgreen deactivates enzymes and so my dear peat mik could not be digested..... or what else could it be. Excess chlorophylle?

Actually microgreens have less aminoavids than sprouts....according to pubmed...just Google on it