Why Specifically Is Alcohol Bad To Consume?

Brian Justus

I know Peat mentioned that wine and beer are very estrogenic, but what exactly does alcohol do to the liver that makes it dangerous? (Stupid Question I know)

Vinny

I think, after I learnt about alcohol, that many people wrongly associate it with liver health first.
It actually does do much more horrible damage to one,s kidneys, pancreas and brain.
The liver can easily regenerate itself from booze. The other mentioned organs - not so much, or even not at all.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Peat has said that the number one burden of the liver is to detoxify estrogen. So when the liver is detoxifying ethanol, is it not able to detoxify estrogen as well as usual, so you start accumulating more estrogen in the tissues.

Also, detoxifying ethanol burns up a lot of resources, nutrients, etc.

OP
B

Brian Justus

I think, after I learnt about alcohol, that many people wrongly associate it with liver health first.
It actually does do much more horrible damage to one,s kidneys, pancreas and brain.
The liver can easily regenerate itself from booze. The other mentioned organs - not so much, or even not at all.

That makes sense. When I started drinking and then stopped later on I noticed a pain coming from the appendix. One particularly bad case though was when my lower back started hurting and I couldn’t walk. I’m not sure if it was just the drinking itself or a combination of the hot weather and the drinking, but it was so bad that I couldn’t walk without feeling the pain radiating from my lower back.

OP
B

Brian Justus

Peat has said that the number one burden of the liver is to detoxify estrogen. So when the liver is detoxifying ethanol, is it not able to detoxify estrogen as well as usual, so you start accumulating more estrogen in the tissues.

Also, detoxifying ethanol burns up a lot of resources, nutrients, etc.

Like Vinny said too about the brain being heavily affected by over consuming alcohol. The ones I know who do that are like zombies mentally. They barely eat or sleep and when they do eat for example; they get sick.

OP
B

Brian Justus

Alcohol seems mostly harmless, if responsibly consumed in the context of low PUFA and iron. Beer has hops, and wine I think has some estrogens. Personally I avoid beer and consuming more than 3 drinks a day. For a woman I'd limit to alcohol to one drink or 2 drinks for the average sized male.

https://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/arh22-3/220.pdf

I’ve heard conflicting evidence that says one drink is bad for you and maybe one or two drinks are okay, but nothing more.

Literally

Low levels of alcohol are obviously tolerable, but look at the rate of mouth and throat cancer in heavy drinkers. I haven't double checked but I've read that they are significantly elevated. It has even been claimed that alcohol mouthwash users get oral cancer at accelerated rates, although the industry apparently fought off lawsuits. (But then so did the talcum powder people even though the evidence seems strong that at least some of it is really carcinogenic.)

OP
B

Brian Justus

Low levels of alcohol are obviously tolerable, but look at the rate of mouth and throat cancer in heavy drinkers. I haven't double checked but I've read that they are significantly elevated. It has even been claimed that alcohol mouthwash users get oral cancer at accelerated rates, although the industry apparently fought off lawsuits. (But then so did the talcum powder people even though the evidence seems strong that at least some of it is really carcinogenic.)

Didn’t know that about mouthwash or talcum powder.

Literally

I use a product by Burt's Bees that is talc-free. If you're a chronic mouthwash user, I'd say consider the alcohol free alternatives.

Personally I have about 1 drink a week and don't worry about it in the slightest. But I don't expose myself needlessly to alcohol (e.g. constantly using hand cleaners).

OP
B

Brian Justus

I use a product by Burt's Bees that is talc-free. If you're a chronic mouthwash user, I'd say consider the alcohol free alternatives.

Personally I have about 1 drink a week and don't worry about it in the slightest. But I don't expose myself needlessly to alcohol (e.g. constantly using hand cleaners).

Yeah. I’m trying to replace drinking with something else. The aspirin I’ve been using is good until I found out that it has corn starch in it and now I’m wondering what I could find to replace that aspirin too. Any recommendations would be nice :)

D

Deleted member 5487

How bad is the brain damage? I have a proposenity to blackout when I drink.

Vinny

How bad is the brain damage? I have a proposenity to blackout when I drink.
What i remember from a lecture, it messes up one,s neurotransmitters for sure. Don,t remember it was reversible or not.
The other thing is at what age one started drinking. If early, as i did for ex., it leads to structural changes making u dumber, that are IRREVERSIBLE.
Cheers!

OP
B

Brian Justus

What i remember from a lecture, it messes up one,s neurotransmitters for sure. Don,t remember it was reversible or not.
The other thing is at what age one started drinking. If early, as i did for ex., it leads to structural changes making u dumber, that are IRREVERSIBLE.
Cheers!

Does it cause back pain at all? Cause I’ve had that when drinking too.

Aaron

This is off the top of my head, but doesn't alcohol significantly decrease HGH and testosterone levels and decrease protein synthesis? I don't drink at all because of these reasons since I am a natural bodybuilder, and I've always found that even casual drinkers seem to develop "dad bod/dad appearance" cumulatively, whereas I have virtually no visceral fat, no hair loss, no wrinkles, etc, which I've associated with low alcohol intake. I'm sure things like pufa and stress also play significant roles in that aging process too though.

OP
B

Brian Justus

This is off the top of my head, but doesn't alcohol significantly decrease HGH and testosterone levels and decrease protein synthesis? I don't drink at all because of these reasons since I am a natural bodybuilder, and I've always found that even casual drinkers seem to develop "dad bod/dad appearance" cumulatively, whereas I have virtually no visceral fat, no hair loss, no wrinkles, etc, which I've associated with low alcohol intake. I'm sure things like pufa and stress also play significant roles in that aging process too though.

I’ve been tempted to tell my friends to avoid PUFA but don’t know how to go about it. Have any suggestions? It’s really hard to avoid honestly and my mom/sis hate coconut oil so I think that’s out of the picture with my friends too.

OP
B

Brian Justus

I’ve also looked at other articles talking about PUFA and outside of Peat, Masterjohn, Dinkov, and Roddy there’s nobody really talking about the bad stuff that PUFA does to you. I’ve given up on articles from mainstream publications too.

tygertgr

If you're adapted to regular consumption of alcohol I think it's fine. I have two drinks most evenings. I tend to end up getting properly loaded about once a month. I think the people who freak out in reaction to alcohol are like people who claim milk or wheat intolerance. They mostly just don't consume it regularly and so aren't adapted to it.

Every year I also do lent dry, or go the whole way from new years day to easter dry. I notice nothing different in terms of health. I maybe lean out a little bit but I'm not sure. I tend to be a bit less creative and have fewer fresh ideas when never loosening up with a few drinks.

OP
B

Brian Justus

If you're adapted to regular consumption of alcohol I think it's fine. I have two drinks most evenings. I tend to end up getting properly loaded about once a month. I think the people who freak out in reaction to alcohol are like people who claim milk or wheat intolerance. They mostly just don't consume it regularly and so aren't adapted to it.

Every year I also do lent dry, or go the whole way from new years day to easter dry. I notice nothing different in terms of health. I maybe lean out a little bit but I'm not sure. I tend to be a bit less creative and have fewer fresh ideas when never loosening up with a few drinks.

Yeah but I think like Masterjohn said most people don’t have the will to just drink one or two drinks. I’ve seen it firsthand with the people around me and even myself too. It’s a slippery slope I think, but then again moderation isn’t really something you come by in the USA. That’s why I don’t get people who blame sugar for their problems when the problem is most likely that they aren’t getting enough nutrients and or eating a lot of PUFA along with the sugar which can cause problems. There’s also people who smoke cigarettes and don’t brush their teeth properly.

I’ve also noticed that people equate alcohol to sugar and while alcohol is made from sugar. I think sugar by itself is okay as long as you have other things to consume with it. And no I don’t count high fructose corn syrup because that’s made with other ingredients including glucose and fructose.