Why Six Hours Of Sleep Is As Bad As None At All

FredSonoma

Is this BS? Haha. A lot of times when I'm going to bed at 3 and have to be up for class at 9, I'd rather just stay up all night.

J

jb116

They have to factor in nutritional variables which it doesn't seem they did. My perspective is that those individuals who didn't sleep for 2 days
had the support of stress: cortisol, adrenaline. We should keep in mind how "awesome" people feel running on such things. In the short term,
they could feasibly perform just as well (rather than looking at it as "6 hrs of sleep performed just as bad as lack of sleep") as those who slept
6 hours. In the long term who is better off? I'd put my money on those who at least slept 6 hours, running less on stress. Give those sleep deprived individuals
hearty food and sugars, and they will probably be passed out not performing as well as the others.

Xisca

Buteyko says that when your CP gets better, then you need less sleep. I would have read if the text was published here and not on a link. Well, I go on sleeping what by body wants!

I remember running 2 very good competitions after a (nearly) sleepless night... support of stress sounds right to me, jb116.....

OP
L

lollipop

From my understanding it is cumulative. One or two or three nights most likely no problem. After months or years the effects might show up!!

DaveFoster

@Xisca

I've also heard this. I'm curious to know if it's true. I do know the quality of sleep improves with adequate nutrition and a higher metabolic rate.

Xisca

I agree Lisa, except that with no sleep at all, the cumulative effect shows up in less than months!
Dave, I think this is true about Buteyko, because it happened to me. I did it 1st after having been a little ill and was out of breath during the recovery. And I had to sleep much much more and "hacer la siesta"!
With the breathing exercises, I slept right away much less, better too.

OP
L

lollipop

I agree Lisa, except that with no sleep at all, the cumulative effect shows up in less than months!
Dave, I think this is true about Buteyko, because it happened to me. I did it 1st after having been a little ill and was out of breath during the recovery. And I had to sleep much much more and "hacer la siesta"!
With the breathing exercises, I slept right away much less, better too.
:yeahthat Breath work is sooooo helpful! I learned this value in yoga over the years.

Last edited by a moderator:

Maretch

Is this BS? Haha. A lot of times when I'm going to bed at 3 and have to be up for class at 9, I'd rather just stay up all night.
I do the same thing, when i know that i have to sleep less than 5 or 6 hours I actually avoid sleeping. I feel so bad if i sleep less and when avoid sleeping is like i even don't need to sleep at all! Strange..

Ahanu

Why Six Hours of Sleep is as bad as none at al
Just read the article and cannot follow this. After 2 weeks of 6 hours u are like 2 days with no sleep. But if you have have to choose between one night 6 hours and one night no sleep then its another story, right ?

WestCoaster

I've also heard waking up outside your natural rhythm is also worse than say getting up a couple hours prior. Whatever that natural sleep cycle is (like 3hours at a time before your inside deep sleep. I've read that waking up in deep REM sleep is actually worse than just staying up after you've awoken from your previous cycle. Seems to ring true, I cannot count how many times I've woken up at say 5am feeling good, only to go back to bed and get up at 7 feeling much worse.

OP
L

lollipop

I cannot count how many times I've woken up at say 5am feeling good, only to go back to bed and get up at 7 feeling much worse.
@WestCoaster I totally have experienced this as well. Each time I say get up get up get up and rarely do - lol.

@Ahanu that makes sense to me. Harder to recover from missing sleep one full night than getting 6 hrs over a few days. I think any sort of long term sleep deprivation leads to trouble imo. When I was doing my master's I was sleeping like 3.5 - 4.5 a night. Doable for 3 yrs - but then could not sustain it much beyond that. Crashed and needed 7-8 hrs.

tara

I've also heard waking up outside your natural rhythm is also worse than say getting up a couple hours prior. Whatever that natural sleep cycle is (like 3hours at a time before your inside deep sleep. I've read that waking up in deep REM sleep is actually worse than just staying up after you've awoken from your previous cycle. Seems to ring true, I cannot count how many times I've woken up at say 5am feeling good, only to go back to bed and get up at 7 feeling much worse.
I can believe this - being suddenly woken out of the wrong part of sleep can throw me off for the rest of the day.

Aleeri

I have a problem with my sleep, I seem to be unable to get more than 6-7 hours per night. My sleep tracker logs about 6:30 hours as my average.

I had a period of 2 weeks where I had so sleep upright because of an injury and these weeks I got a lot less sleep. After resuming a normal sleep schedule after that I had multiple days of 8-9 hours sleep, even one day of 10 hours.

But after about a week of that my hours are back to around 6:30 on average.

My question is, is this normal? I feel pretty ok on 6:30 hours, but of course if I manage to sleep more someday I feel more fresh quicker after waking.

Maybe this is some genetic thing? My dad sleeps around 6 hours per night for the last 20 years.

Some days I will go up and maybe eat something small and go back to bed and sleep another hour, which gives me like 7 hours or a bit more.

InChristAlone

I lost my health from sleep deprivation. I was woken up every couple hrs for 2 yrs. I don't think I ever got more than 3 hr chunks of sleep because of my nursing baby. I will never take for granted sleep ever again. I need at least 7 hrs every night. I usually get 8. And that feels good. People don't realize how much healthier they could be if they prioritized sleep.

Nighteyes

Looks like 6-8 hours is the sweet spot according to reviews quoted here

Lifespan linked to sleep

And less than 6 is actually not as bad as too much

But does This mean that those who sleep for 9 or more hours do it because they are sick or get sick because of it? Maybe it is a crutch for Them to live slightly longer.. same with too little.. how to know if body takes what it needs if allowed to sleep in?

walker_in_aus

But does This mean that those who sleep for 9 or more hours do it because they are sick or get sick because of it? Maybe it is a crutch for Them to live slightly longer.. same with too little.. how to know if body takes what it needs if allowed to sleep in?

I think they sleep longer because they are sick.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals