Why Ray Recommends Eating Lots Of Calcium

ilhanxx

It doesnt a good idea for suffer from hairloss. calsification is one reason. when i consume lots of calsium resources, my hairloss worsened. Scalp Massage elasticity decrease.

baccheion

It doesnt a good idea for suffer from hairloss. calsification is one reason. when i consume lots of calsium resources, my hairloss worsened. Scalp Massage elasticity decrease.
Did you consume 1:1 with magnesium and with associated vitamins and minerals, like vitamin D3 and vitamin K2 MK-4?

Light

This is certainly only one reason, but given how important for metabolism it is I thought it is worth mentioning. Calcium activates the enzyme pyruvate dehydrogenase (PDH), which takes the pyruvate produced by glycolysis, converts it to Acetyl-Co-A and thus starts the Krebs cycle. Calcium also seems to activate the other enzymes participating in the Krebs cycle.
Without properly functioning Krebs, cells will be stuck in glycolysis with excess pyruvate production. The excess pyruvate will get converted into lactate by the enzyme LDH, thus exhibiting the Warburg effect.
Finally, the proper functioning of the Krebs cycle and synthesis of its intermediate metabolites fumarate and succinate seems to restrain the enzyme HIF, which is so important in human pathology and especially cancer.
Citric acid cycle - Wikipedia

"...Calcium is used as a regulator. Mitochondrial matrix calcium levels can reach the tens of micromolar levels during cellular activation.[27] It activates pyruvate dehydrogenase phosphatase which in turn activates the pyruvate dehydrogenase complex. Calcium also activates isocitrate dehydrogenase and α-ketoglutarate dehydrogenase.[28] This increases the reaction rate of many of the steps in the cycle, and therefore increases flux throughout the pathway."

"...Recent work has demonstrated an important link between intermediates of the citric acid cycle and the regulation of hypoxia-inducible factors (HIF). HIF plays a role in the regulation of oxygen homeostasis, and is a transcription factor that targets angiogenesis, vascular remodeling, glucose utilization, iron transport and apoptosis. HIF is synthesized consititutively, and hydroxylation of at least one of two critical proline residues mediates their interaction with the von Hippel Lindau E3 ubiquitin ligase complex, which targets them for rapid degradation. This reaction is catalysed by prolyl 4-hydroxylases. Fumarate and succinate have been identified as potent inhibitors of prolyl hydroxylases, thus leading to the stabilisation of HIF."
@haidut - I know this is an old thread, but it's the only one in the forum that mentions Von Hippel Lindau - a protein that is malfunctioning in my body.
Do you think adding dietary Fumarate and Succinate would help in compensating for what the faulty Von Hippel Lindau protein fails to do?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
@haidut - I know this is an old thread, but it's the only one in the forum that mentions Von Hippel Lindau - a protein that is malfunctioning in my body.
Do you think adding dietary Fumarate and Succinate would help in compensating for what the faulty Von Hippel Lindau protein fails to do?

For that condition, I would try a few mg methylene blue in combination with 10mg-20mg FAD (activated vitamin B2) and add 200mg-300mg succinate.

Light

For that condition, I would try a few mg methylene blue in combination with 10mg-20mg FAD (activated vitamin B2) and add 200mg-300mg succinate.

I have been taking 0.8mg of oxidal in the last 2 days, with the intent to titrate upwards in the next week or so.
Usually I dilute it down and take 0.1mg, and upping it to 0.8mg made me feel really good for a few hours after taking it.
I'll increase it a little at a time and add the other 2 things you suggest.

Thank you very much.

Last edited:

Amazoniac

"At normal calcium absorption, the intercept of urinary plus skin calcium meets absorbed calcium at an intake of 840 mg as in Figure 14. A 10 percent reduction in calcium absorption raises the intercept and requirement to 1150 mg and a 10 percent increase in calcium absorption reduces it to 680 mg."

upload_2019-8-4_17-1-59.png

As usual, official recommendations are higher than 850 mg (at 1000 mg) to cover most:

upload_2019-8-4_17-7-45.png

- Calcium throughout Life - B.E.C. Nordin | FAO

Check out how protein/sodium might (not sure) affect calcium requirements:

upload_2019-8-4_17-2-10.png

lampofred

That doesn't make sense.

Things that lower cortisol raise serotonin. Serotonin rises when metabolism is slowed. But things like PUFA raise both cortisol and serotonin at the same time. That's how you know it's a degenerative rise in serotonin and not just a rise in serotonin because you are turning off a stress-driven increase in metabolism.

That's my guess.

postman

Things that lower cortisol raise serotonin. Serotonin rises when metabolism is slowed. But things like PUFA raise both cortisol and serotonin at the same time. That's how you know it's a degenerative rise in serotonin and not just a rise in serotonin because you are turning off a stress-driven increase in metabolism.

That's my guess.
Where did you get that from? High serotonin is bad, there is no good high serotonin

Cirion

So you don't believe that you can have both low cortisol and low serotonin? A healthy organism should have low cortisol, low serotonin, and high dopamine / T3 / testosterone / etc. I can't think of anything serotonin is actually useful for, except for getting fat, mental disorders, metabolic syndrome, etc etc...

lampofred

Where did you get that from? High serotonin is bad, there is no good high serotonin

So you don't believe that you can have both low cortisol and low serotonin? A healthy organism should have low cortisol, low serotonin, and high dopamine / T3 / testosterone / etc. I can't think of anything serotonin is actually useful for, except for getting fat, mental disorders, metabolic syndrome, etc etc...

High CO2/thyroid, no stress = low cortisol, low serotonin
High PUFA, estrogen, very unhealthy person = both high cortisol and high serotonin

But in between these two, you can do things that shift the balance between cortisol and serotonin. For example, sleeping raises serotonin but decreases cortisol. But obviously sleeping is not bad for you. I think calcium and Vitamin D act like sleep, they increase serotonin but only because they reduce stress driven metabolism and lower cortisol. Whereas in contrast, something degenerative like PUFA will raise serotonin and cortisol at the same time.

postman

High CO2/thyroid, no stress = low cortisol, low serotonin
High PUFA, estrogen, very unhealthy person = both high cortisol and high serotonin

But in between these two, you can do things that shift the balance between cortisol and serotonin. For example, sleeping raises serotonin but decreases cortisol. But obviously sleeping is not bad for you. I think calcium and Vitamin D act like sleep, they increase serotonin but only because they reduce stress driven metabolism and lower cortisol. Whereas in contrast, something degenerative like PUFA will raise serotonin and cortisol at the same time.
Source that sleeping raises serotonin? I would think it would drop serotonin as more serotonin would get converted into melatonin.

lampofred

Source that sleeping raises serotonin? I would think it would drop serotonin as more serotonin would get converted into melatonin.

Dr. Peat's newsletter "Thought and energy, mood and metabolism" which says oversleeping shifts the stress hormone balance to serotonin.

Plus if you google the effect of sleep on prolactin, you'll find that falling asleep pretty instantly raises prolactin (and waking up decreases it). Prolactin is a very good marker for serotonin activity (learned that from Haidut)

postman

Dr. Peat's newsletter "Thought and energy, mood and metabolism" which says oversleeping shifts the stress hormone balance to serotonin.

Plus if you google the effect of sleep on prolactin, you'll find that falling asleep pretty instantly raises prolactin (and waking up decreases it). Prolactin is a very good marker for serotonin activity (learned that from Haidut)
That's oversleeping, not sleep in general. All of this just sounds like conjecture, unless you have some study where blood serotonin levels go up during sleep I don't think your way of thinking makes sense.

lampofred

That's oversleeping, not sleep in general. All of this just sounds like conjecture, unless you have some study where blood serotonin levels go up during sleep I don't think your way of thinking makes sense.

He also says in the same newsletter that sleep deprivation is a known temporary fix for depression and that it works by lowering serotonin. But you're free to disagree

Cirion

We've definitely had this debate before, but I haven't brought forth my thoughts and collected them in this manner yet... I think I can explain this phenomenom now, to a degree at least.

Sleeping does not raise stress or serotonin or any negative markers, oversleeping or otherwise. But let me get into the why and how and why some may falsely make this connection in fact sleeping lowers all the stress hormones.

The negative effects of sleeping, oversleeping (oversleeping should decrease both cortisol and serotonin even) but there are caveats which makes it seem like it might raise cortisol or serotonin or both

-- Not being well fed
-- Consuming endotoxic foods before bed
-- Sleeping in darkness
-- Sleeping in temperature that is too cold
-- Running out of fuel during the night (This is actually why oversleeping gets negative press, probably) aka fasting for too long with too little food the day before, going along point #1
-- Chronic exposure to emf while sleeping

So it's easy to just say "oversleeping makes your serotonin go up" when in reality, its 99% likelihood one of the above 5 points. Even at that though, I've literally never felt bad when I have over slept. I always feel amazing. So I don't believe that it makes serotonin go up, anecdotally. Now I admi, I have noticed that somewhere in the 8-10 hr mark, sometimes or even often I feel bad. This is most weeknights. 8-9 hr of sleep is not enough for me to feel good. Most would then say "well you're getting too much sleep then. But here's the thing, if I go back to bed again, I'll wake up at 12+ hr mark feeling fantastic, which I usually do on the weekends and feel great. So the 8-9 hr of sleep mark can be this weird "limbo" point where if I get that I feel bad (and if I get less I feel even worse) but getting even MORE sleep than that is better. Clearly, in my opinion and my experience, the people who say oversleeping is bad... Simply haven't overslept enough! If you ask someone they will think 9-10 hr is oversleeping. I've sometimes had to sleep 12-14 hrs to have a truly good "Oversleeping" lol. Let's also keep in mind that the average american is chronically sleep deprived. Do you think a single night of 1-2 hr of extra sleep is gonna be sufficient? Absolutely not. Just like how a single day of good nutrition can't rectify a lifetime of bad food choices.

User ilikecats here actually, for some of the reasons I brought forth, decided to stop sleeping in the dark OR the cold. He keeps several 300W bulbs on during the night and swears by it. I eventually want to try this again, but maybe I have to build up to it because the last time I tried it I had horrible insomnia haha. Probably for the very reason that I (and likely most people) are used to using serotonin as a sleep aid, and once you shut it off (Via a warm, bright room) that all of a sudden serotonin gets shut down. It's then you realize that your "sleepiness" is not truly a need for sleep, but actually your body is crying out for energy! When serotonin is crushed, estrogen is crushed, all the negative hormones are crushed, many people find out they only need 5-6 hrs of sleep, because most of the time when people are "sleepy" its serotonin rearing its ugly head.

tl;dr oversleeping doesn't cause serotonin to rise. Serotonin might rise in the case of oversleeping, but the sleep is not to blame. One of the points I brought up is to blame. Correlation =/= causation. Serotonin absolutely can be the cause of over sleeping (due to reasons I just explained), but the reverse is not true. But because serotonin is the driver of over sleeping, its one of many reasons over sleeping is falsely being accused of raising serotonin when over sleeping is merely a symptom of excess serotonin and over sleeping, in my experience, is actually protective against serotonin and IMO why I feel like a million bucks when I get the chance to sleep 12+ hr.

... And now somehow I wrote an essay to defend my oversleeping habits, for like the third time now. Jeez, now I sound like an addict or something LOL. Oh well, if I'm an addict, I'm an addict and unashamed...

Last edited:

lampofred

Ok, then how would you explain the studies that show that even a 15 minute daytime nap causes a large spike in prolactin, which instantly goes back down after waking up? But I do agree with what you're saying about how oversleeping could actually be a sign of excess serotonin. This is torpor/hibernation and not real sleep, and this is probably the sleep that most people over the age of 20 get, unfortunately. Maybe an explanation could be that deep slow wave sleep doesn't raise serotonin, but torpor/hibernation does.

Also a reason why you feel so bad when you don't get enough sleep might be high nitric oxide. Dr. Peat said sleep lowers nitric oxide. It probably also means you are in torpor, because slow wave sleep is very refreshing even if you get only small amounts of it.

Cirion

Ok, then how would you explain the studies that show that even a 15 minute daytime nap causes a large spike in prolactin, which instantly goes back down after waking up? But I do agree with what you're saying about how oversleeping could actually be a sign of excess serotonin. This is torpor/hibernation and not real sleep, and this is probably the sleep that most people over the age of 20 get, unfortunately. Maybe an explanation could be that deep slow wave sleep doesn't raise serotonin, but torpor/hibernation does.

Also a reason why you feel so bad when you don't get enough sleep might be high nitric oxide. Dr. Peat said sleep lowers nitric oxide. It probably also means you are in torpor, because slow wave sleep is very refreshing even if you get only small amounts of it.

Well, I certainly don't profess to have the answers, just my experiences. I will say that most of the time when you feel the need to nap during the day, its due to an energy problem / hormonal problems / endotoxin. So again I think taking a nap is just symptomatic in the example you gave. On days I'm on point with my eating etc I don't feel the need to take a nap. I'll also note that often times, naps are not restful and I actually feel worse after a nap. This feeling worse is in fact probably due to the effects of prolactin that you talked about. What causes it? Don't know, other than probably taking a nap when you're sleeping due to poor nutrition choices that day. So, I basically never take naps anymore. Now if I find myself in need of a nap, I opt for getting food or caffeine or both instead, sometimes "resting my eyes" in an epsom salt bath for a half an hr perks me back up also I've found. Temporarily I feel a slight torpor resting in the bath (presumably the shutdown of stress hormones) but then 15 or so minutes later my energy returns better than it was before. Again, I think that points to energy problems, mineral depletion, serotonin, other hormonal disruptions, endotoxin, etc.

Last edited: