Why Ray Recommends Eating Lots Of Calcium

Doc Sandoz

Just a point of reference...the EU RDA for calcium is 800mg
I tried working up to Ray's suggested Ca dosage of 2000 mg. Twice I had to quit because of very unpleasant symptoms that could only have been a Ca overdose.

Dosages are very individual, I personally can't take nearly as much of most supps as Ray suggests without a bad reaction.

Dolomite

Forum Supporter
I actually feel fine and I think I am getting 2000 mg per day. But I think a lot is not being used. I plan to cut back gradually because I don’t want to ruin the good sleep and lowered cortisol.

Amazoniac

Once the time machine will be invented, and we can travel back in time to observe our ancestors, we will find how absurd most of the contemporary statements about the nutrition of "hunter gatherers" or "preagricultural" people are. I bet you that no individual in the history of mankind ever got anything close to that amount of calcium from greens, or that they even ate greens habitually. Hunter gatheres and tribes that still cling to the old ways got/get their caclium from animals, not plants. It's the stereotypical immage of the caveman hunting a monstrous mammoth that dominates our picture of their nutrition - lots of meat, and berries and greens. In reality, most of their prey probably were very small mammals, fish, and birds, which traditional people still hunt today. They often consume them whole, including the bones. This is an excellent source of calcium, and even a very small amount of small prey can yield the daily amount of needed calcium.

The prevalence of osteoporosis in developing countries is low compared to most industrialised countries despite an apparent low Ca intake. It is possible, however, that food surveys have overlooked important Ca sources in developing countries. Small fish eaten with the bones can be a rich source of Ca, even though Ca from bone may be considered unavailable for absorption. In the present study, absorption of Ca from indigenous Bengali small fish was compared with the Ca absorption from milk. Ca absorption from single meals was determined in 19 healthy men and women (21-28 y). Each subject received two meal types on two separate occasions. Both meals consisted of white wheat bread, butter and ultra pure water with the main Ca source being either small Bengali fish (397 mg Ca in total) or skimmed milk (377 mg Ca in total). The meals were extrinsically labelled with 47Ca, and whole-body retention was measured on day 8, 12, 15 and 19 after intake of each meal. The labelling procedure was evaluated by an in vitro method. The calculated absorption of Ca as measured with 47Ca whole-body retention was 23.8 +/- 5.6% from the fish meal and 21.8 +/- 6.1% from the milk meal (mean +/- SD), which was not significantly different (p = 0.52). Even after correction for an incomplete isotope exchange, as indicated by the in vitro study, Ca absorption was similar from the two meal types. It was concluded that Ca absorption from small Bengali fish was comparable that from skimmed milk, and that these fish may represent a good source of Ca.

Calcium Absorption from Small Soft-boned Fish
M. HANSEN I , S. H. THILSTED, B. SANDSTROM, K. KONGSBAK, T. LARSEN*,
M. JENSEN** and S. S. S0RENSEN**
J. Trace Elements Med. BioI. Vol. 12, pp. 148-154 (1998)

The results from the present study suggest that a daily Ca intake of 400-500 mg as recommended by WHO/FAO for adults (1) can be met by eating 34-43 g fresh small fish and that 43-60 g of the fish would be sufficient to cover the 500-700 mg Ca per day recommended for adolescents. The latest national food survey of Bangladesh (1981-82) showed an average intake of 23 g fish per day (27). Recent minor surveys suggest that intake of fish in Bangladesh has dropped to some extent (28). This trend is probably due to the introduction and promotion o flarge and more expensive fish species in aquaculture projects. However, small fish species are still commonly eaten by the rural population, who cannot afford to buy the larger fish (28).
This seems likely. The authors from that publication acknowledge the possibility, but didn't develop on it for thinking that it wasn't viable or for picturing the mammoth.

"Unlike Cro-Magnons living in Ice-Age Europe, Eskimos lived in high-latitude, circumpolar habitats and as a result their access to plant foods was severely restricted. Their calcium sources are postulated to have included seasonally available berries, moss, and buds, but came mainly from chewing small bones and eating the gastric and intestinal contents of game animals (78). The amount of calcium obtained from these sources is unknown, probably limited, and quite likely insufficient to maintain bone health in older Inuit despite their continuing high levels of physical activity."​

I remember coming across a comparison between sources, yet overlooked:

The experiment you shared was with grasshopper-sized fish, sometimes sold dry or used for pastes. Larger bones may also work provided that they're somehow made finer, ground up bones are supplemented nowadays and the main complaint in using is the texture, not indigestion.

Related to your finding:

- Whole small fish as a rich calcium source
- Fish bones – a highly available calcium source for growing pigs
- Comparison of Limestone and Ground Fish for Treatment of Nutritional Rickets in Children in Nigeria

- Small prey exploitation during the Final Gravettian in the northeast of the Iberian Peninsula: The case of level D from Arbreda cave

- Can fruit pulp meet the calcium needs of tropical frugivorous passerines during reproduction?

Kvothe

Just a point of reference...the EU RDA for calcium is 800mg
I.e. 70g small fish
This seems likely. The authors from that publication acknowledge the possibility, but didn't develop on it for thinking that it wasn't viable or for picturing the mammoth.

"Unlike Cro-Magnons living in Ice-Age Europe, Eskimos lived in high-latitude, circumpolar habitats and as a result their access to plant foods was severely restricted. Their calcium sources are postulated to have included seasonally available berries, moss, and buds, but came mainly from chewing small bones and eating the gastric and intestinal contents of game animals (78). The amount of calcium obtained from these sources is unknown, probably limited, and quite likely insufficient to maintain bone health in older Inuit despite their continuing high levels of physical activity."​

I remember coming across a comparison between sources, yet overlooked:

The experiment you shared was with grasshopper-sized fish, sometimes sold dry or used for pastes. Larger bones may also work provided that they're somehow made finer, ground up bones are supplemented nowadays and the main complaint in using is the texture, not indigestion.

Related to your finding:

- Whole small fish as a rich calcium source
- Fish bones – a highly available calcium source for growing pigs
- Comparison of Limestone and Ground Fish for Treatment of Nutritional Rickets in Children in Nigeria

- Small prey exploitation during the Final Gravettian in the northeast of the Iberian Peninsula: The case of level D from Arbreda cave

- Can fruit pulp meet the calcium needs of tropical frugivorous passerines during reproduction?

I wonder if anyone here has tried hydroxyapatite as a calcium supplement. The extra phosphate make it less than ideal, but I know a guy that swears it's the most tolerable caclium supplement he has ever tried.

peter88

I tried working up to Ray's suggested Ca dosage of 2000 mg. Twice I had to quit because of very unpleasant symptoms that could only have been a Ca overdose.

Dosages are very individual, I personally can't take nearly as much of most supps as Ray suggests without a bad reaction.
What symptoms? I’ve consumed 4-5g of calcium over the last 6 months without any negatives

Mauritio

peter88

Oh ok . Any benefits ?
Yeah I definitely feel the benefits of lower estrogen and prolactin. I prefer drinking more milk because too much cheese seems to be constipating. The only downside for me is cost because I drink grass fed raw milk

Mauritio

Yeah I definitely feel the benefits of lower estrogen and prolactin. I prefer drinking more milk because too much cheese seems to be constipating. The only downside for me is cost because I drink grass fed raw milk
Interesting thanks. I can't tolerate any milk but I migjt try increasing my caclium intake by 1 or 2g .

Dr. B

I actually feel fine and I think I am getting 2000 mg per day. But I think a lot is not being used. I plan to cut back gradually because I don’t want to ruin the good sleep and lowered cortisol.
what mechanism are you using for it? i get around 3000mg a day from a half gallon whole milk...
if my appetite improves enough, im likely going to be doing an additional 140+grams protein from either whey protein or a skim milk organic powder...
the whey would only provide an additional maybe 1000mg calcium...
however if i do the skim milk powder, it's gonna be an additional 6000mg+ calcium so 9000mg or more
im curious to see how things would go, with calcium that high, all from a natural source
plus adding in the amounts present in things like dried figs, small amounts in orange juice, coconut water, it would be around 10000mg a day
milk has phosphate, vitamin A, things like that affecting the calcium
i dont think a supplement would be comparable, not sure about eggshell either if it lacks phosphorus

Vins7

Most greens taste bad, but some do not (arugula, lettuce, babyzords). The exceptions are those that people normally eat in raw in salads and the rest deserve cooking to decrease toxins and flavorings as complements. Young leaves have less toxins and thus more palatable. West of the sides used to comment how butter tastes weird on its own, so it's the combination that matters.
Regarding intuitive eating, combining meats with leaves increases nutrition, helps to balance the excess phosphorus.
I also already posted about some herbs minimizing the harm of charred meat. Argentina and Uruguay are famous for their barbecues, and there's a traditional sauce that's used accompanying meats:
Chimichurri - Wikipedia

Indeed, but if part of our digestive tract resembles that of an herbivore, it means that we're adapted (and probably expected) to eat vegetation. Since leaves contain a good deal of calcium, the main point is that we're adapted to higher intakes of it. I suspect the reason why people select diets that are lower in it is to protect themselves from imbalances since the main source is dairy. As mentioned before many times, the disproportionate amount of calcium in relation to other of the minerals can be a problem if we consider that most people today eat enough calories but not enough nutrients, so foods that have a lot of nutrition per calorie are interesting.
Are dairy products problematics digestively in your opinion?

tankasnowgod

Not being used? In what way?

Just because something does get absorbed and then incorporated into body structures, like bones, doesn't mean it's not beneficial. There may be percentage limits to how much calcium can be absorbed, so more intake might be better, even if it's not 100% absorbed.

Since it can bind phosphate in foods and block iron absorption, even having more calcium pass through you could potentially be beneficial.

Dolomite

Forum Supporter
what mechanism are you using for it? i get around 3000mg a day from a half gallon whole milk...
if my appetite improves enough, im likely going to be doing an additional 140+grams protein from either whey protein or a skim milk organic powder...
the whey would only provide an additional maybe 1000mg calcium...
however if i do the skim milk powder, it's gonna be an additional 6000mg+ calcium so 9000mg or more
im curious to see how things would go, with calcium that high, all from a natural source
plus adding in the amounts present in things like dried figs, small amounts in orange juice, coconut water, it would be around 10000mg a day
milk has phosphate, vitamin A, things like that affecting the calcium
i dont think a supplement would be comparable, not sure about eggshell either if it lacks phosphorus
I am using eggshell powder, calcium carbonate tablets from Walgreen's and a Tum's tablet. So it is all calcium carbonate. I don't drink milk. I do eat some nonfat Greek yogurt.

Dolomite

Forum Supporter
Not being used? In what way?

Just because something does get absorbed and then incorporated into body structures, like bones, doesn't mean it's not beneficial. There may be percentage limits to how much calcium can be absorbed, so more intake might be better, even if it's not 100% absorbed.

Since it can bind phosphate in foods and block iron absorption, even having more calcium pass through you could potentially be beneficial.
I have cloudy urine sometimes during the day and I looked at it under the microscope and it is all amorphous crystals. I assume it is from excess calcium carbonate because the urine use to be clear. I have lowered the amount from about 2700 mg to 2400 mg. But I sleep so well now I don't want to lower it too much.

Sefton10

I have cloudy urine sometimes during the day and I looked at it under the microscope and it is all amorphous crystals. I assume it is from excess calcium carbonate because the urine use to be clear. I have lowered the amount from about 2700 mg to 2400 mg. But I sleep so well now I don't want to lower it too much.
That would happen to me too when I used eggshell calcium. No such issue with goat’s milk and cheese even up to 4000mg+ calcium a day.

Dr. B

That would happen to me too when I used eggshell calcium. No such issue with goat’s milk and cheese even up to 4000mg+ calcium a day.
would it be safe to get 9500mg+ calcium daily all from skim milk and whole milk. what would happen with calcium that high. super metabolism?

Sefton10

would it be safe to get 9500mg+ calcium daily all from skim milk and whole milk. what would happen with calcium that high. super metabolism?
I think Ray has said in the past he sees no upper limit. I definitely think there is more likely to be an issue when supplementing it than from consuming it in foods like milk though.

Dr. B

I think Ray has said in the past he sees no upper limit. I definitely think there is more likely to be an issue when supplementing it than from consuming it in foods like milk though.
milk has phosphate to balance it, and vitamin A, although skim milk loses the vitamin A

Donttreadonme

Eating lots of calcium is great if you are middle aged and want to increase the progression of atherosclerosis.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals