Why not Minoxidil? It worked like magic for me. What's really wrong with Minoxidil?

Mister

I've used topical minoxidil daily for over 10 years as a preventative measure; that is, at the first sign of increased shedding. It has allowed me to maintain my hairline so far (age 40), whereas my brother who is 3 years younger has very significant recession and vertex thinning.
Any side effects? Bad skin? Lower libido?

Ingenol

Any side effects? Bad skin? Lower libido?
Not that I've noticed, but through a Peat lens I'd expect negatives of minoxidil to play out over a long time frame and not be directly attributable to it.

Matestube

I attached some pictures of me during the minoxidil usage, after the stopping the usage and before minoxidil. I really need some help on understanding minoxidil which is a potassium channel opener which helps like magic in hair growth. I stopped it because I can't find any information about it's safety on long term usage. Hair like a fox by Danny Roddy has no mentions about minoxidil. I really want to your opinion guys. What will be the peaty view on this? Is there anything natural that can mimic these effects? I am afraid about using it. But, man when I look the before pictures, I feel like everything was so better about my looks. My skin looks fresh, my hair is thick, my beard and moustache became dense and dark. How could something that makes us look good be a bad thing?
Dosage: I mainly used 10% Minoxidil gel for three months and Only 5mg oral minoxidil for about a month and slowly tapered it. And stopped for three months.
Image order, before minoxidil
View attachment 26418

After 4-5 months of minoxidil
View attachment 26419
After 3 months stopping minoxidil
View attachment 26423

Hey man,

Can you please link the 10% gel you were using ?

OP
A

AsuraAcademy

Look at these crazy results of using oral minox:

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/tressless/comments/udjq9q/15_week_update_of_oral_consumption_of_topical/

I was wondering what people's thoughts are about using minox orally? Obviously seems retarded from a health perspective, but maybe less retarded than finasteride?

That's right. Minoxidil seems to be better option for me than Finasteride. Minoxidil might be damaging because it has chemical structure same as nitric oxide but, compared to Finasteride which ***** up hormones and leaves you estrogenic by reducing DHT which opposes estrogen, Minoxidil is better.

Also, as you said minoxidil itself turns against the DHT theory.

OP
A

AsuraAcademy

Interesting

But doesn't this contradict the DHT theory?

From my understanding - it lowers blood pressure and maybe ACE 2.

losartan, or maybe even spironolactone/eplerenone would be better

Both have been discussed on the forum

Yes Minoxidil results as we see weakens the DHT theory. Minoxidil lowers blood pressure by acting as Potassium Channel opener. I think it relaxes ATP sensitive some valve like structure in blood vessels. This ATP valve can also relax if there is ADP - Magnesium. I guess, magnesium supplement and topical magnesium will mimic minoxidil effects. I don't think it acts on ACE 2 mechanism. But lots of people have already used spirolactone to get great results.

johnwester130

Yes Minoxidil results as we see weakens the DHT theory. Minoxidil lowers blood pressure by acting as Potassium Channel opener. I think it relaxes ATP sensitive some valve like structure in blood vessels. This ATP valve can also relax if there is ADP - Magnesium. I guess, magnesium supplement and topical magnesium will mimic minoxidil effects. I don't think it acts on ACE 2 mechanism. But lots of people have already used spirolactone to get great results.

Diazoxide also looks interesting​

johnwester130

Will look into it. You have mentioned in your previous posts about perfenidone anti-fibrotic effect could help with scalp hair regrowth. Have you tried it?

It's another blood pressure drug that may or may not work like minoxodil

I actually bought the capsules but never tried them,

Hair loss is a side effect of the drug. Maybe I could use it topically, I may try topical losartan

OP
A

AsuraAcademy

So did you use zenoxidil or minoxidil then? I read there is a difference between the 2 compounds.
Minoxidil is what I use. The Zenoxidil 10% gel I have mentioned is a brand name. It's composition is Minoxidil 10% and gel base.

Matestube

Minoxidil is what I use. The Zenoxidil 10% gel I have mentioned is a brand name. It's composition is Minoxidil 10% and gel base.

I just started oral minoxidil 1.66mg twice a day, much more effective and convenient than topical minoxidil.

OP
A

AsuraAcademy

It's another blood pressure drug that may or may not work like minoxodil

I actually bought the capsules but never tried them,

Hair loss is a side effect of the drug. Maybe I could use it topically, I may try topical losartan
Just did a quick google. Losartan seems good (angiotensin receptor blocker). I think, we need to minimize stress, adrenaline and norepinephrine by lifestyle changes (Meditation etc.,) would compliment anti-hypertensive drugs for hair loss. Pirfenidone isn't anti-hypertensive it's anti-fibrotic.

Miggie

I just started oral minoxidil 1.66mg twice a day, much more effective and convenient than topical minoxidil.
I'm doing the same. 2.5mg once a day, just drinking the topical. and then applying the topical version at night. I read on some forums that some guys lost gains by just switching to oral and dropping the topical all together.

OP
A

AsuraAcademy

It's true. Minoxidil gets metabolized by liver to Minoxidil Sulphate which I believe to be 10X more potent than Minoxidil. If you use 1ml of topical minoxidil 5%, it gets into your blood (about 0.5mg for every 1ml of minoxidil). I had increased hair growth all over my body just by using topical minoxidil. For convenience and faster regrowth, I also started to use oral minoxidil like you are doing but higher dosage - 2.5mg two times a day immediately after taking food.

OP
A

AsuraAcademy

I'm doing the same. 2.5mg once a day, just drinking the topical. and then applying the topical version at night. I read on some forums that some guys lost gains by just switching to oral and dropping the topical all together.
I don't think it's possible to lose gains by switching from topical minoxidil to oral minoxidil. Maybe they might be rubbing the topical like crazy, ending with more systemic minoxidil than the oral dosage they switched to. Because 1 ml of minoxidil 5% solution has 50mg of minoxidil. As per research, 0.5mg will get into your blood stream. But, I think if you are massaging the solution, then you will end up with more minoxidil in your blood stream. Another case - they might lacking a liver enzyme called Sulfotranferase which converts the minoxidil to minoxidil sulphate (more potent form).

Miggie

I don't think it's possible to lose gains by switching from topical minoxidil to oral minoxidil. Maybe they might be rubbing the topical like crazy, ending with more systemic minoxidil than the oral dosage they switched to. Because 1 ml of minoxidil 5% solution has 50mg of minoxidil. As per research, 0.5mg will get into your blood stream. But, I think if you are massaging the solution, then you will end up with more minoxidil in your blood stream. Another case - they might lacking a liver enzyme called Sulfotranferase which converts the minoxidil to minoxidil sulphate (more potent form).
That's what i was thinking as well seeing as some guys use over 2ml topical per day. which would account for at least 1mg. I read 1-3% goes systemic. So could be anywhere between 1 and 3mg.

I thought that the oral was superior because your liver always produces sulfotransferase while topical this would not always be the case. That's why you see people combining tretinoin cream together with their topical minoxidil to increase sulfotransferase in the scalp.

Matestube

It's true. Minoxidil gets metabolized by liver to Minoxidil Sulphate which I believe to be 10X more potent than Minoxidil. If you use 1ml of topical minoxidil 5%, it gets into your blood (about 0.5mg for every 1ml of minoxidil). I had increased hair growth all over my body just by using topical minoxidil. For convenience and faster regrowth, I also started to use oral minoxidil like you are doing but higher dosage - 2.5mg two times a day immediately after taking food.

Any sides with that total of 5mg/day oral Minoxidil ?
I had a puffy face when I started with 13mg/day oral Minoxidil and I was extremely tired all day.

Matestube

Same, drinking the topical.
Any sides at that dose ? Puffy face ? Tired ?

Miggie

Same, drinking the topical.
Any sides at that dose ? Puffy face ? Tired ?
none that i can report off. I usually have a lean face so i;'d notice some extra puff. Its only been a week or so since i started. Im getting a 12,5% soon from minoxbeards. I will try morning and evening dosing of oral then and drop the topical.

I have not experienced any shedding. But I also never did from topical.