Why it's not wrong to impress other men as a man

Hans

Forum Supporter

What are your thoughts on this?

Sitaruîm

In my experience what matters is to be driven and to look like you have a mission in life, even if this doesn't include the things that are traditionally recognized as high status, like wealth, a fancy car, a respected job. Driven men with a mission are very easy to detect, and women (and other men, too) can easily spot who these people are, and they tend to respect them.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
In my experience what matters is to be driven and to look like you have a mission in life, even if this doesn't include the things that are traditionally recognized as high status, like wealth, a fancy car, a respected job. Driven men with a mission are very easy to detect, and women (and other men, too) can easily spot who these people are, and they tend to respect them.
Spot on. Love it. Being motivated and driven can be contagious.

crazypatriot

I'm not aspiring to men like Dwayne Johnson who obviously are cheating with exogenous hormones. I actually find fictional characters like Goku and Vegeta more motivating than 'enhanced' celebrities.

Many women's actions contradict what they say they are attracted to anyways. Just do what makes you feel better, healthier, stronger, and proud every day.

For me, weight training has been one of the best things I've ever decided to do because of the lessons it teaches in hardwork and perseverance, and the subsequent application to other areas of my life. ...plus being muscular just feels damn good as a male. :):

golder

I'm not aspiring to men like Dwayne Johnson who obviously are cheating with exogenous hormones. I actually find fictional characters like Goku and Vegeta more motivating than 'enhanced' celebrities.
Cheating? What’s he cheating on? He’s not competing in an all natural bodybuilding competition.

crazypatriot

Cheating? What’s he cheating on? He’s not competing in an all natural bodybuilding competition.

You think he would be as famous without his physique? Have as many movie roles where being huge is part of the auditioning criteria?

I'm not saying he doesn't work hard, but obviously he wouldn't be as successful without PEDs.

Sitaruîm

Doing anything to impress others is in my opinion not worth much. I get that maybe you want to play the evolved great ape game, and that can be fun. But not for me.
This is a good point. Impressing others should not be the goal. Rather, you should do things that you want to do and that you are passionate about, and inevitably, some people will be impressed by it. But never let the impressing of others be your motivation!

TobyBjorn

Doing things for their own sake* yields superior results faster, relative to end-goal, product, implication, or subsequent result orientation. Improved mood improves long-term prospects for continued high performance.

When focused on doing what you enjoy for its own sake you are more likely to exhibit charisma, and the enhanced results are more likely to garner praise. While I totally agree with Hans' premise that there is nothing wrong with impressing people, I am commenting on the method of doing so. If you want to impress people, don't try to impress them, and as you are working on what will impress them, try not to think much about how they will be impressed. Focus on the process and its nuance, your work will be rewarding in itself and the results can only be effected positively.

*as in Csikszentmihalyi's Flow, and often the state of samadhi valued in many eastern schools

TobyBjorn

This is a good point. Impressing others should not be the goal. Rather, you should do things that you want to do and that you are passionate about, and inevitably, some people will be impressed by it. But never let the impressing of others be your motivation!
ah, you beat me to it. Well said.

76er

I like the phrase and idea of men "being the best version of yourself".

TMCMac

You think he would be as famous without his physique? Have as many movie roles where being huge is part of the auditioning criteria?

I'm not saying he doesn't work hard, but obviously he wouldn't be as successful without PEDs.
Agreed. PEDs play a huge role in ability to recover from stress. The only thing that irritates me are sometimes the motivational speeches to work hard at the gym etc. No pain no gain when he is on PEDs which help recovery and his ability to work hard so people end up thinking they can push themselves as hard. Its more of an art when you are natty. Although I dont take away from his charisma and quick wittedness that got him to the top of the WWE and movie industry. Theres lot of other guys on PEDs who never had close to the same success in those same field as the rock. The rock is literally the apex of whats achievable from coming out of the wwe and even in the wwe

A

Adf

I've never heard anyone say it's bad to be impressive, to any gender. When it comes naturally that is, it is annoying when people try too hard to impress.

unsubscribed

I've never heard anyone say it's bad to be impressive, to any gender. When it comes naturally that is, it is annoying when people try too hard to impress.

^^^ This exactly ^^^

To be seen as a motivator to do 'better' whether physically, mentally, spiritually, general life etc has to be a positive. Those who get their nose out of joint tend to simply be reminded how much their not trying.