Why It Might Be Better To Temporarily Gain Weight After Diet Improvement

YamnayaMommy

Oh freaking geez. How would feminism be partly to blame. I swear to God, right wingers can ruin a thread about *anything*
Hahaha

Because feminist boomers largely opted out of cooking real meals from whole food. And they didn’t teach their kids how to cook.

I (1981 baby) didn’t learn how to cook until i went to live in Italy for a couple years.

Cooking and home economy are the patriarchy.

redsun

But you assume that people are fat because they have poor metabolism and not because they’re eating too much too often, which is my assumption. My assumption is supported by research showing that Americans consume more calories and eat more often than they did in the 1960s, when there was no obesity epidemic. is there any evidence that metabolic rates have declined over that period and that such a decline can explain the rise in BMI?

You can pathologize IFers if you like. It’s fun to pathologize people who don’t follow your diet. But IF is rational. I could count calories and eat small meals all day long and lose the pregnancy weight. I did that after my first pregnancy. But it’s easier and more enjoyable to eat twice, and to have larger portions at a sitting. And I can go out and eat big meals at great Chicago restaurants and drink bottles of fabulous wine on the weekend, and not gain weight, because I’m back to my nice Monday through Friday IF routine.

I agree that most people don’t know how to feed themselves. I think feminism is partly to blame.

People eat more food because modern food is high in calories but low in nutrients and low in protein. Most fast food or common foods that people eat is loaded with carbs and fat but always lower in protein with few exceptions and always low in nutrients with zero exceptions. You will just pound down food until your body can fill its micronutrient needs, this is what it tries to do all the time. This is why there are some people that can eat a thousand calories of their favorite cake and not even blink. No nutritional value = no satiation = overeating = weight gain.

signalguy

Hahaha

Because feminist boomers largely opted out of cooking real meals from whole food. And they didn’t teach their kids how to cook.

I (1981 baby) didn’t learn how to cook until i went to live in Italy for a couple years.

Cooking and home economy are the patriarchy.

Oh you mean that time when the top tax rate was 91 percent, the unionization rate was 5x what is today, and a man could support his wife and kids on *one* income and retire with this thing called a pension? But yes, let's blame feminism.

LOL

OP
Kelj

Kelj

A Taco Bell Taco Salad has 80% of the daily value of sodium, 34% of the DV for potassium, 26% for carbohydrate, 6% of the DV for vitamin A, 50% of the DV for calcium, 52% of the DV for iron, 35% of the DV for cobalamin, 25% of the DV for B6, 36% of the DV for magnesium.

Chocolate cake
upload_2019-10-23_8-15-42.jpeg

OVERVIEW

NUTRITION FACTS

RECIPES

PEOPLE ALSO SEARCH FOR

1. Chocolate cake, without frosting

Amount Per 1 piece (1/12 of 9" dia) (95 g)

Calories 352
    % Daily Value*
    Total Fat 14 g 21%
    Saturated fat 5 g 25%
    Polyunsaturated fat 2.6 g
    Monounsaturated fat 6 g
    Cholesterol 55 mg 18%
    Sodium 299 mg 12%
    Potassium 133 mg 3%
    Total Carbohydrate 51 g 17%
    Dietary fiber 1.5 g 6%
    Protein 5 g 10%
    Vitamin A 2% Vitamin C 0%
    Calcium 5% Iron 8%
    Vitamin D 0% Vitamin B-6 0%
    Cobalamin 3% Magnesium 7%
There are nutrients in these foods. These are just two examples. It all adds up to your 2500 to 3500 or more standard minimum calorie intake. No one gets enough nutrition when restricting calories.

In the Minnesota starvation experiment, it was found that unless the subjects were given enough calories, the supplementation of vitamins and minerals did not help them recover. The body will direct you to eat what it needs through cravings. Ray Peat speaks of this. What people stop having in anorexia nervosa is an appetite. At least, statistically, anorexics avoid food for about 8 years, then the body forces them to eat, at which point they begin to purge. They either vomit, exercise a great deal, or abuse laxatives and the like. When some begins to eat what seems to be enormous amounts of anything, it is biology driving it. They need to address the energy deficit they created through restriction. The body will direct them to the necessary nutrients as long as they are eating.

There has never before been so many people on some kind of restrictive diet. Of course, there have always been people who, for one reason or another couldn't get enough to eat. If that was ongoing, the people were under grown. If they always had enough to eat, in the past, it would never have occurred to someone to not enjoy their regular mealtimes and snack times. Rarely was anyone overweight, because people did not, as a rule, cycle through restrictive diet/reactive eating like they do now. Interestingly, though, in the twentieth century there began to be subsets of people among whom it was fashionable to starve. For example:

Virginia Woolf was anorexic, claims great niece | Virginia Woolf | The Guardian

"Virginia Woolf's great niece has suggested that her great aunt suffered from anorexia nervosa. Emma Woolf, who has written a memoir of her own recovery from the eating disorder, says she experienced a "painful moment of recognition" when she saw a photograph of Virginia Woolf in 1932, standing between TS Eliot and his wife Vivienne. "The image of Virginia is of someone suffering from anorexia," she wrote in tÍhe Mail on Sunday.

Her husband Leonard Woolf wrote at the time that "the most difficult and distressing problem was to get Virginia to eat", points out Emma Woolf. He refers to "this excruciating business of food", and says that their arguments boiled down to resting and eating: "If left to herself, she would gradually have starved to death," wrote Leonard Woolf.....

his comment that "there was always something strange, something slightly irrational in her [Virginia's] attitude towards food. It was extraordinarily difficult to get her to eat enough to keep her strong and well. Superficially, I suppose, it might have been said that she had a (quite unnecessary) fear of becoming fat."

Leonard recalled meal times when Virginia was unwell: 'I could usually induce her to eat a certain amount, but it was a terrible process. Every meal took an hour or two; I had to sit by her side, put a spoon or fork in her hand, and every now and again ask her very quietly to eat … ",

The cause is anxiety or emotional turmoil, not the desire to be thin. I believe that this is what Virginia experienced: when life got too much, she stopped eating."

https://www-huffpost-com.cdn.amppro...www.huffpost.com/entry/sylvia-plath_b_2944939

"Ever since I read The Bell Jar, Sylvia Plath's autobiographical novel, I've wondered if Plath had an eating disorder. Apparently, I'm not the only one. There's much discussion on the Internet about the link between Plath's dark moods and her suspected eating issues.

In many ways, Plath was a mindful eater. She paid close attention to the taste and texture of food, the whole eating experience.

attitudes toward food among women in the '50s?
Having a hearty appetite was considered unfeminine,
In the '50s, even if you looked great, having a big appetite was considered a male quality.
Smoking to keep your appetite down was considered totally acceptable, and there were more diet pills on the market.
Certainly when you read The Bell Jar, Esther Greenwood, [her fictional character,] eats all this caviar and avocados. Unlike Sylvia Plath, she didn't seem to be getting enjoyment from it. She was just eating to deal with emotional pain. I've always wondered how much of that relates to Sylvia's attitude."

Both of these women committed suicide.

https://www-townandcountrymag-com.c...-jackie-o-breaking-down-the-first-ladys-diet/

"According to legend, Jackie followed a diet of one baked potato a day stuffed with caviar and sour cream. The first day I did this, it was almost fine. Then it rapidly became unsustainable and I started dreaming of breakfast. However, one meal a day really does limit calories.

After days of heavy eating (two baked potatos?) Jackie Kennedy would often go on a fruit fast, in which she ate only fruit.

Jackie's longtime housekeeper Marta Sgubin released a cookbook called "Cooking For Madam" in 1998. In it, there was a recipe for a spinach risotto without cheese, which is usually a main ingredient in risotto.

Jackie reportedly drank a glass of champagne every day and also smoked like a chimney."

Clearly, a serial restricter using smoking to suppress appetite.

https://amp-businessinsider-com.cdn...errer=https://www.google.com&amp_tf=From %1$s

Attachments

• upload_2019-10-23_8-34-13.jpeg
    upload_2019-10-23_8-34-13.jpeg
    1.9 KB · Views: 6
I'm starting an experiment to increase my calories maybe 10% or 20%.

I'm just eating more. And seeing what happens.

Today my waking temps were a bit higher -- 97.2F. I am up to 98.6 to 99 during the day. I take about 25mcg of T3 in small amounts throughout the day.

I'll try this for 2 weeks and see what happens. I'm about 15 pounds over my ideal set weight, methinks. I am setting out to convince my body that it can drain the fat organ safely.

If this is working I should see a bit of weight gain, but my temperatures should rise, and I should then at some point begin losing the fat even if my calories are higher.

Have I got this right @Kelj basically?

I really appreciate you here. I at first wrote off your posts but they have grown on me lately. Do you suggest I buy the book you reference?

sunraiser

Oh you mean that time when the top tax rate was 91 percent, the unionization rate was 5x what is today, and a man could support his wife and kids on *one* income and retire with this thing called a pension? But yes, let's blame feminism.

LOL

:handfist:

No,we are not all different.Heartrate,Bodytemperature, Hormonelevels are all in very,very narrow margins if someone
is to be Healthy.
If someone cant stand overall true Health Foods like Meat and Fruit and Butter,he just has health issues from
longstanding deficiencies and possibly incurred auto-inflammatory-states,inducted imho by excessive
junk food Salt intake.i came to the conclusion that sodium is a micronutrient in the Range of intake of 500-1500mg a day.
Sodium intake above that is initiating severe Th17 Autoimmunity.i wrote about these findings elsewhere.
And:for all the wishful Gulls:dont load up on junkfood.it will destroy you by micronutrient-malnutrition.just dont do twixx.

Last edited:
Ancel Keys,the Nerd behind the Minnesota Starvation EXP also designed the Junk-Food K-RAtion,named after his Inital,
a military sustenance Ration that hurt a large amount of Citizens,also he was a Phony PUFA-Peddler,and seemed to
me like someone who was backing the JunkFood Industry Ideologically.think you were starving?think again,just eat
dried sausage and TWIX,lol.if you aint heelthy,it aint us!
Just dont choke on Family Rations of ******* TWICKS-BARS Kids.

Today my waking temps were a bit higher -- 97.2F. I am up to 98.6 to 99 during the day. I take about 25mcg of T3 in small amounts throughout the day.

I'll try this for 2 weeks and see what happens. I'm about 15 pounds over my ideal set weight, methinks. I am setting out to convince my body that it can drain the fat organ safely.

If this is working I should see a bit of weight gain, but my temperatures should rise, and I should then at some point begin losing the fat even if my calories are higher.

I really appreciate you here. I at first wrote off your posts but they have grown on me lately. Do you suggest I buy the book you reference?

yeah.no.dont do it,at all.you wont lose weight,you are already overfed,you have @ 15 pounds overweight -52500-kcal
overfeed.fiftytwothousandfivehundred kilocalories.

yeah.no.dont do it,at all.you wont lose weight,you are already overfed,you have @ 15 pounds overweight -52500-kcal

well that's the experiment, isn't it?

I've lost 15 pounds. I haven't done anything crazy and my metabolism is hotter than it was. So I'll see what happens over the next few weeks or so.

well that's the experiment, isn't it?

I've lost 15 pounds. I haven't done anything crazy and my metabolism is hotter than it was. So I'll see what happens over the next few weeks or so.

The Experiment?useful Quotes?.15 pounds by overeating,that is impressive.im interesting to learn more about what you read.
But i have Doubts.

somuch4food

CICO does not work. Calories are only useful to quantify energy in food, but you can't control how much will be burnt exactly. That depends on your metabolism at rest and activity level.

The weight and calories obsession so prevalent nowadays is an eating disorder.

CICO doesn't take into account increased energy consumption through futile cycling, such as conversion of energy into heat and CO2 that takes place with uncoupling. A higher BMR burns more calories at rest. So of course, CICO is true from a reductionist physics view, but it isn't true for humans trying to figure things out for themselves.

OP
Kelj

Kelj

The book is good. By a doctor who treats any medical complications experienced by those who have been restricting calories who want to recover health. It is good to know, when you experience any symptoms, that they are typical under the circumstances and what your treatment options are.

Just hang in there. If you can't sleep, eat until you do fall asleep and increase your calories commensurately the next day. This is a good idea of when you've reached good calorie levels. Don't be afraid of the weight gain. You will not keep gaining once your body is on solid ground. Try to have some appreciation for the process and love for yourself which will allow you to nourish yourself without fear. And enjoy having what you like.

I was very, very sick fearing to eat foods in the way others are proposing here. I have become completely well eating what my body wants. I have seen others do the same.

OP
Kelj

Kelj

BTW. You must take into account the first and second laws of thermo dynamics. Human bodies are different than a car. If your car breaks down on the side of the road, you can't cover it with a blanket, fill its gas tank and tell it you're going to let it rest there and come back to fill its tank again tomorrow and however long it takes until it is better and will run again. With the body, we can do that. We go wrong with the idea of CICO because we don't realize how different the body is from any machine.

YamnayaMommy

LOL
I said partly. You could also partly blame immigration/automation/globalization for driving down male wages while making industrially processed food cheaper than homemade

But feminism has done a lot of damage to traditional family life where a wife and mother is putting together three balanced high quality meals/day for a family of five or six. Women don’t want to do it anymore. Cooking for a family is real labor and society doesn’t value it. There is zero prestige in being s stay at home mom. I don’t blame women for preferring to get a job and let corporations do most of the meal preparation. But one result of this is that people don’t know how to cook real food for themselves and put together proper meals.

YamnayaMommy

LOL
Oh and I agree also that lower top tax rates hurt families. FWIW I am not a right winger although it’s funny that that other poster thought I was

YamnayaMommy

i think all the refeeders should keep a thread where they post how well they’re doing with their program. With pics. I eagerly await the results from this very scientific diet program of nonstop junk food eating as a means of increasing metabolism and achieving, after temporary weight gain, a healthy BMI.

When refeeding guru is revealed to be an seventeen year old four chan troll i am going to go crazy

signalguy

i think all the refeeders should keep a thread where they post how well they’re doing with their program. With pics. I eagerly await the results from this very scientific diet program of nonstop junk food eating as a means of increasing metabolism and achieving, after temporary weight gain, a healthy BMI.

When refeeding guru is revealed to be an seventeen year old four chan troll i am going to go crazy
To be honest, I worry about this as well. Having said that, you can look up kayla rose kotecki on youtube and see her transformation.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals