Why is thiamine so rare in foods?

DonLore

I have always wondered, why is it that you can get almost all the other minerals and vitamins in huge RDA amounts from food (copper and vitA from liver, B12 from seafood, B2 from most offal and milk, etc) but it is not that easy to hit the RDA for B1. Pork is basically the only food rich in thiamin, giving around 100% in 100grams.

P

Peatness

I don't have numbers but it seems that thiamine is ubiquitous but what might be an issue is thiaminase.

1657629160400.png

OP
D

DonLore

Seeds etc you would have to consume a huge amount to get enough B1, and anyone familiar with Peats work wouldnt eat that. Chicken, beef, even liver and other offals dont have too much B1 either. Only pork meat. Thiaminase is found in raw fish I think

animalcule

Acorn squash: 15% RDI per 100 grams

If you eat two cups of mashed acorn squash, that’s 75% RDI thiamine (according to cronometer).

InChristAlone

Many foods don't have that many b vitamins. They come from our bacteria.

youngsinatra

That's why most traditions consumed whole grains and legumes regularly, many even daily. They are the most important thiamine sources.

B

BRBsavinWorld

I looked up beef and lamb brain on cronometer, those arent that high in B1 either? About 10% in 100grams. Should we eat low fat pork more often for thiamine maybe?
Dang I heard it was higher. Oh well

P

Peatness

You asked why is thiamine so rare in foods. I posted a list of foods I wasn't prescribing them.

OP
D

DonLore

Many foods don't have that many b vitamins. They come from our bacteria.
I wonder if there is knowledge if most people even have that kind of bacteria anymore, with all the antibiotics and digestive illnessess.

InChristAlone

I wonder if there is knowledge if most people even have that kind of bacteria anymore, with all the antibiotics and digestive illnessess.
They don't! That's why we need all these supplements.

OP
D

DonLore

What about nutritional yeast?
It seems to have a good amount. But I havent yet found one that isnt fortified or otherwise legit enough that I know 100% sure its not just filled with synthetic vitamins

Dule

It seems to have a good amount. But I havent yet found one that isnt fortified or otherwise legit enough that I know 100% sure its not just filled with synthetic vitamins
Sari Foods Nutritional Yeast Flakes

NuNaturals, Non-Fortified Nutritional Yeast Flakes,

InChristAlone

But what probiotics would restore those bacteria? Raw cheese and milk? Sauerkraut? Yoghurt? Kimchi? Raw meat?
Probiotics are hit or miss. It can cause competition. The microbiome needs adequate vitamin D and to get them going they need a surplus of b vitamins.

OP
D

DonLore

Probiotics are hit or miss. It can cause competition. The microbiome needs adequate vitamin D and to get them going they need a surplus of b vitamins.
I agree on probiotic supplements but shouldnt fermented food have a wide range of strong natural probiotics, that is also commonly found in healthy human microbiome.
Is there a source on microbiome needing extra b vits? People talk about it but I wonder if there is evidence for it or is it just pseudoscience

Angel45

I agree on probiotic supplements but shouldnt fermented food have a wide range of strong natural probiotics, that is also commonly found in healthy human microbiome.
Is there a source on microbiome needing extra b vits? People talk about it but I wonder if there is evidence for it or is it just pseudoscience
Sadly the probiotics in food are not natural indigenous gut anaerobes. The closest thing you can get is a fecal transplant. Science has not developed a way to commercial produce human anaerobes that are shelf stable at least not since I last checked. Your gut bacteria swims in b vitamins that they make and when the body is stressed out those b vitamins get depleted or if you wipe out a certain bacteria with antibiotics then you can also get to low in a b vitamin. This was explained to me by a doctor so you can take that with a grain of salt I guess.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals