Why Is There So Much Soluble Fibre In Human Breast Milk?

narouz

I reckon.
Not bitchin' at you, Charlie.
Just weird.
The phenomenon has stopped with other threads.
Just this one.

Maybe it will clear up.
(I got a superduper newfangled speed o light Windows 7 machine almost ready to go, so...
I will soon be blasting along the InterWeb SuperHighway!)

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
narouz said:
post 98921 (I got a superduper newfangled speed o light Windows 7 machine almost ready to go, so...
I will soon be blasting along the InterWeb SuperHighway!)
Hopefully that clears it up.

Last edited:

artist

HDD said:
I have had the same problem with cascara. I assumed that it was the quality of what I was taking. I used a capsule to make a tea this time and was surprised that I tolerated it. I had self diagnosed a hiatal hernia. :lol: So to say I was relieved is an understatement. I am sold on it now.

I suppose I will always trust what Ray Peat says. I didn't even know I was hypo or had a hormonal imbalance before reading his articles on MS. I would most likely still be juicing carrots, fermenting cabbage, doing wheat grass shots, and aging. I don't worry about my health now....just the health of those I've imprinted. :(
Do you have MS? My dad suffers from this and I would like to get him interested in Ray Peat since I found his work on it so optimistic and interesting, but he trusts his doctor like a god and just dutifully takes his pills, maybe because thinking about it is very stressful. He continues to get worse despite the fact that all their tests indicate he should have stabilized, since the beta theron has resulted in no new plaques in the decade since his diagnosis. They just can't conceive of why in the material reality of his daily existence his health is going to hell

HDD

artist said:
post 99415
HDD said:
I have had the same problem with cascara. I assumed that it was the quality of what I was taking. I used a capsule to make a tea this time and was surprised that I tolerated it. I had self diagnosed a hiatal hernia. :lol: So to say I was relieved is an understatement. I am sold on it now.

I suppose I will always trust what Ray Peat says. I didn't even know I was hypo or had a hormonal imbalance before reading his articles on MS. I would most likely still be juicing carrots, fermenting cabbage, doing wheat grass shots, and aging. I don't worry about my health now....just the health of those I've imprinted. :(
Do you have MS? My dad suffers from this and I would like to get him interested in Ray Peat since I found his work on it so optimistic and interesting, but he trusts his doctor like a god and just dutifully takes his pills, maybe because thinking about it is very stressful. He continues to get worse despite the fact that all their tests indicate he should have stabilized, since the beta theron has resulted in no new plaques in the decade since his diagnosis. They just can't conceive of why in the material reality of his daily existence his health is going to hell

Yes, I was diagnosed in 1988 when they did not have the meds they use today. I went on a very lowfat diet (Swank diet) that I loosely followed for a few years. My most serious symptoms were in very beginning of pregnancy and after following a Paleo diet for a few months. When my legs became numb after following Paleo, I googled MS and fats and found Peat's articles. His ideas on MS resonated with my experience so I began implementing his suggestions on what could be helpful. Within a month the numbness was gone (I took a lot of aspirin). I am sorry your father is not doing well. Part of my belief in being able to get and stay well was from the story of Roger McDougall. He was in a wheelchair and unable to write and totally reversed his ms with diet. The worst symptom I'vehad since Peating occurred when I was not eating well for several days and the weather was very cold. I had pain/numbness in my leg. When I checked my temperature, it was around 96 degrees. This was confirmation to me that my metabolism and ms symptoms were related. I hope you can encourage your dad to try a change in his diet to see if it can help. Also, Haidut has posted several studies of different supplements helping ms.

Link to McDougall story:
http://www.direct-ms.org/rogermcdougall.html

Last edited by a moderator:

artist

HDD said:
post 99432
artist said:
post 99415
HDD said:

Yes, I was diagnosed in 1988 when they did not have the meds they use today. I went on a very lowfat diet (Swank diet) that I loosely followed for a few years. My most serious symptoms were in very beginning of pregnancy and after following a Paleo diet for a few months. When my legs became numb after following Paleo, I googled MS and fats and found Peat's articles. His ideas on MS resonated with my experience so I began implementing his suggestions on what could be helpful. Within a month the numbness was gone (I took a lot of aspirin). I am sorry your father is not doing well. Part of my belief in being able to get and stay well was from the story of Roger McDougall. He was in a wheelchair and unable to write and totally reversed his ms with diet. The worst symptom I'vehad since Peating occurred when I was not eating well for several days and the weather was very cold. I had pain/numbness in my leg. When I checked my temperature, it was around 96 degrees. This was confirmation to me that my metabolism and ms symptoms were related. I hope you can encourage your dad to try a change in his diet to see if it can help. Also, Haidut has posted several studies of different supplements helping ms.

Link to McDougall story:
http://www.direct-ms.org/rogermcdougall.html
Thank you, that's wonderful that you've seen such improvement - I'll pass this all onto him. What do you make of Roger McDougall's dietary advice being so diametrically opposed to Ray Peat's?

HDD

I think that different diets can be healing. The Swank diet has a high success rate. There are other diets that I have read online or heard about that have helped. The difference with Ray Peat for me is that it makes sense with my health history. The underlying reason behind my health problems was what I needed to know. In the past, I could follow any diet to keep my ability to walk but without having a conviction about what I was doing, I tended to drift away until a symptom appeared.

HDD

Artist,
If you search the forum for posts by haidut on ms, you can find the many studies he has posted about various supplements helping ms. These might be simple ideas your dad might be open to trying since there are studies showing results.

narouz

I guess the cagey way to put it would be,
here is some mainstream propaganda
sent to me by uBiome in their e-newsletter I get every so often.

I am not advocating fiber consumption.
I have been experimenting with it.
Some interesting stuff in there,
if only to highlight how far apart they are from Peat's views on fiber.

Such is always champing at the bit to read fiber propaganda,
so here ya go my friend! :D

Fail to feed your bacteria properly and they'll start eating you.
I donʼt want to frighten you, but right now there are around 100 trillion bacteria chomping away in your gut.

Itʼs a hungry job being a microbe.

Thereʼs something like three pounds of bacteria lining your intestinal tract,
probably made up of about 500 different species.

I say probably, because everyoneʼs different. Although you and I share around 99.5% of the same DNA, our microbiomes almost certainly vary widely,
one of the reasons itʼs so fascinating to explore yours with a uBiome test.

The thing is, a lot of your bacteria keep you healthy - theyʼre helping you digest
food and synthesize vitamins, for instance.

Doesnʼt it therefore make sense, in return, to keep them healthy too?

One way to do that is to ensure theyʼre properly fed, and hereʼs where things
get interesting and actually pretty serious.

You see, a prime source of bacterial nutrition comes from fiber, but most
peopleʼs diets are vastly underrepresented in this respect.

An average individual in the West gets roughly 15 grams of fiber a day, which
is nowhere near enough. In fact, The Institute of Medicine recommends
women should get 25 grams per day, while men should consume 38 grams.

Does this matter much?

Well, yes.

Actually it matters enough for the U.S. governmentʼs dietary guidelines to label
dietary fiber as a “nutrient of concern”. A public health issue, no less.

Itʼs long been accepted that having enough fiber in your diet can contribute to
a feeling of fullness (so you know when to stop eating) and what
gastroenterologists politely call "healthy laxation" (regularity in the bowel
movement department).

More seriously, a low fiber diet may also be associated with the risk of
developing various conditions, including heart disease, diabetes, diverticular
disease, and constipation.

But now studies are showing that failing to provide enough fiber to the gutʼs
bacteria may lead to them feeding on the gut itself.

Researchers at the University of Michigan Medical School found that when
mice were placed on a fiber-free diet, their microbes began to eat away at the
gutʼs protective mucus lining, potentially triggering inflammation and disease.

So fiberʼs important.

How easy is it to get enough, then?

Well since most of us are only getting around half as much as we should,
clearly not very. Eating a salad every night, for instance, would only provide
two or three grams of fiber.

Dieticians say itʼs best to get fiber as part of your regular diet, but supplements
can help.

In a small study at the University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, adults ate a
fiber-enriched snack bar containing 21 grams of fiber once a day for three
weeks.

The good news?

Their gut bacteria composition shifted from a profile similar to that found in
obese individuals to one which was more like the microbial make-up of lean
people.

The bad news?

The minute the experiment was over, participantsʼ microbiomes returned to the
way theyʼd been before the experiment began.

So to keep your gut healthy, itʼs vital to eat a high fiber diet every day.
Whole grains, legumes, vegetables, and fruits. Raspberries, bran, split peas, artichokes. Whatever roughage you like.

Your bacteria will thank you for it.

Split peas for dinner tonight, anyone?

Have a great week!

Alexandra :)
--
Alexandra Carmichael
Director of Community, Product, and Growth
uBiome

Further reading
Fiber-Famished Gut Microbes Linked to Poor Health

Shift in gut bacteria observed in fiber supplement study may offer good news for weight loss

Fiber supplementation influences phylogenetic structure and functional capacity of the human intestinal microbiome: follow-up of a randomized controlled trial

Think Globally, Act Locally: Regulated Deployment of Polysaccharide Degradation Abilities by our Symbiotic Gut Bacteria

Attachments

• uBiome.png
    uBiome.png
    6.2 KB · Views: 453

Parsifal

Isn't there some fibers in cow's milk as well? I have to admit that my digestion is not really improved with Peating. But fibers are always making things worst :|. I feel kind of trapped. Antibiotics are not healthy at all, I had to take some during 1 year for Lyme disease and it really messed my already bad gut.

jyb

narouz said:

gutʼs protective mucus lining
, potentially triggering inflammation and disease.

So fiberʼs important.

Hum...

narouz

Parsifal said:
post 99777 Isn't there some fibers in cow's milk as well? I have to admit that my digestion is not really improved with Peating. But fibers are always making things worst :|. I feel kind of trapped. Antibiotics are not healthy at all, I had to take some during 1 year for Lyme disease and it really messed my already bad gut.

The OP believed that strongly negative reactions to eating fiber
was diagnostic of gut microbiome imbalance.

narouz

jyb said:
post 99791
narouz said:

gutʼs protective mucus lining
, potentially triggering inflammation and disease.

So fiberʼs important.

Hum...

I hope to post a more complete summary of my state of health
since I've been eating fiber.
I've made a lot of changes in my diet beyond just introducing soluble fiber.
My life is not a well-designed science experiment. :D
But, fwiw, I can say at this point
that I have experienced a distinct turn for the better.
The consumption of soluble fiber (Globe artichokes, sprouted spelt bread, FOS) correlates
with this upturn.
So...I really can't argue for causation.

On the other hand,
I was kinda surprised that the fiber consumption did not cause negative results.
It definitely did not.
Well...when I experimented with big doses of supplemental fiber powder (FOS and inulin)
I did get little farts pretty consistently.

One tidbit I've found stimulating:
before I began the starch,
I was Really craving fermented vegetables.
They sell this fancy brand at Whole Foods where I live.
Locally made and $12 for a pretty small jar.
I usually don't buy stuff like that.
But like I said: I Really craved it.
I have 6 empty jars of it sitting on my counter now. :lol:

So now, after about a month and a half of eating starch and those fermented veggies...
I kinda lost my craving for the fermented veggies.

In my personal, subjective leaning,
I tend to see the starch as feeding something I needed.
Or maybe feeding something my bacteria needed.
I crave those Globe Artichokes too!
I've probably eaten 100 of them! :lol:

My tongue is finally, after about 3 years, back to what I'd come to know as "normal":
clear pink or sometimes just a very transparent whitish glaze.

With the uBiome newsletter...
I do think we should avoid being too sure of ourselves
and our Peatian Certainties.
Sure, we can look at the views from uBiome as typical mainstream bs propaganda about gut health.
On the other hand,
it is a pretty sophisticated operation,
and dedicated to exploring, with cutting edge tools, the mysterious microbiome.
I think we should keep an open mind....

narouz

Interesting feature on new aspects of the microbiome on NPR a few days ago.
Here are a couple of highlights...

"But Meadow and his colleagues wondered if we're also spewing our microbial companions into the air. So they asked 11 healthy volunteers in their 20s and 30s to sit quietly in a special, closed booth for four hours while the researchers analyzed the air.

'The results really surprised us,' Meadow says.

By analyzing DNA from bacteria in the air, the researchers could clearly detect plumes containing thousands of different types of bacteria. They could discern all sorts of things from each plume, such as whether the person in the booth was a man or a woman."

...and...

"We know that if you live with people, and even if you just work with people, your microbial communities come to resemble theirs over time," Knight says. "And in the past we used to think that was due to touch. It may be just that you're releasing microbes into the air and some of those microbes are colonizing the people you're with."

You can listen, here.
http://www.npr.org/sections/health-...ou-go-your-personal-cloud-of-microbes-follows
Or, here is the whole article...

Remember Pig-Pen? The little kid from Charles Schulz's Peanuts cartoons who walked around in a cloud of dirt? Well, the human body does spew a cloud, but instead of dirt it contains millions of microorganisms.

"It turns out that that kid is all of us," says James Meadow, a microbial ecologist who led research about the microbes shadowing us during postdoctoral work at the University of Oregon. "It's just a microscopic cloud that's really hard to see."

The findings from Meadow and his colleagues were published Tuesday in the journal PeerJ.

Each of us carries around millions of microorganisms – including bacteria, fungi and viruses — on the inner and outer surfaces of our bodies. Most of them aren't dangerous. In fact, growing evidence indicates that they help us in lots of ways. Scientists call this collection of organisms our microbiome.

"A lot of the recent work on the human microbiome has revealed that we're kind of spilling our microbial companions all over our houses and our offices and the people around us," Meadow says.

We do that by touch, and by sharing objects — dishes, computers, toys, beds and so much more. But Meadow and his colleagues wondered if we're also spewing our microbial companions into the air. So they asked 11 healthy volunteers in their 20s and 30s to sit quietly in a special, closed booth for four hours while the researchers analyzed the air.

"The results really surprised us," Meadow says.

By analyzing DNA from bacteria in the air, the researchers could clearly detect plumes containing thousands of different types of bacteria. They could discern all sorts of things from each plume, such as whether the person in the booth was a man or a woman.

"More importantly," Meadow says, "we found that each person is unique in two
respects."

First of all, "we each give off different amounts of bacteria to the air around us," he says, probably because of factors such as how much we scratch and how much we fidget. Beyond that, Meadow says, "we each give off a slightly different cocktail of those bacteria. There are just really subtle differences."

Meadow says the findings raise a number of possibilities, including, maybe, one day being able to identify a criminal by analyzing the microbial cloud he or she leaves behind at the scene.

"There are a lot of reasons why we might want to know if some nefarious character's been in a certain room in the last few hours," Meadow says. "Maybe there's a way to use microbes for that."

Microbiome researcher Rob Knight, of the University of California, San Diego, calls the research "exciting" and says it may offer insights into how each of us develops a personal microbiome.

"We know that if you live with people, and even if you just work with people, your microbial communities come to resemble theirs over time," Knight says. "And in the past we used to think that was due to touch. It may be just that you're releasing microbes into the air and some of those microbes are colonizing the people you're with."

Knight says there may be a wealth of information yet to be decoded from your microbiome that could one day yield information about "where you've been, who you've been in contact with" and more.

narouz

A passionate kiss that lasts more than 10 seconds transfers about 80 million bacteria, researchers say. The evidence, published Sunday in the journal Microbiome, comes from 21 couples, ages 17 to 45, who made out for science. (Tough gig.)

That is a highlight from another bit I saw on the NPR archives.
http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2014/11/17/364054843/whats-in-his-kiss-80-million-bacteria
Here's the whole article...

If your partner's kiss is on your lips, his microbes are, too.

A passionate kiss that lasts more than 10 seconds transfers about 80 million bacteria, researchers say. The evidence, published Sunday in the journal Microbiome, comes from 21 couples, ages 17 to 45, who made out for science. (Tough gig.)

Each couple had their mouths swabbed and spit to measure the bacteria in their mouths. Even before kissing, the couples had similar mouth bacteria.

"To our surprise, we found that those people that are intimately related ... share much more of that bacteria on their tongue than unrelated individuals," Remco Kort, a microbiologist at the Netherlands Organisation for Applied Scientific Research in Amsterdam and lead author of the study told NPR's Rob Stein. He believes it may be due to other shared habits among couples, like using a certain toothpaste or smoking.

The bacterium Enterococcus faecalis is a beautiful example of a gut microbe.
THE SALT
What Our Gut Microbes Say About Us
To see if kissing transfers microbes from one person to another, the couples then smooched after drinking probiotic yogurt. The researchers focused on Lactobacillus and Bifidobacteria, which together usually make up only about 0.15 percent of the bacteria in human saliva and 0.01 percent of the bacteria on the tongue.

But after the yogurt kiss, the Lactobacillus and Bifidobacteria in the person on the receiving end rose substantially — up to 0.54 percent in saliva and 0.49 percent on the tongue. This led them to the estimate that each smooch carries 80 million bacteria.

It's busy down there: a gut bacterium splits into two, becoming two new cells.
SHOTS - HEALTH NEWS
Staying Healthy May Mean Learning To Love Our Microbiomes
Couples who kissed at least nine times a day were more likely to have similar saliva microbes. Put simply, "kissing affects the microbes living in your mouth," says Kort.

To be clear, we're talking about French kissing here, not a grandmotherly peck.

Kort and colleagues believe this vigorous osculation could be a way to change your microbiome. "There's a number of studies that show that it's healthy to have a high diversity of microorganisms in your mouth," says Kort. And it might be fun to try.

Remco Kort, author of the kissing study, stands near his Kiss-O-Meter developed for the Micropia museum.i
Remco Kort, author of the kissing study, stands near his Kiss-O-Meter developed for the Micropia museum.
Courtesy Micropia
Could changing the microbiome be as simple as a lip lock? "It is provocative to think that we can perhaps donate beneficial microbes by an 'oral microbiome transplant,' " says Joseph Petrosino, a microbiologist at the Baylor College of Medicine who didn't work on the study, in an email to Shots.

Maybe we could transplant the mouth bacteria of a person who doesn't get cavities to one who often does, says Andrea Azcarate-Peril, a microbiologist at the University of North Carolina School of Medicine who did not work on the study. There may even be evolutionary reasons for the swap, she says, like, "when a mom of a newborn kisses a baby, it may actually be sampling the microbiota."

If you'd like to find out how many microbes you and your partner swap, the results of the study have been used to fuel a Kiss-O-Meter at Micropia, billed as "the world's first museum of micro-organisms." Just stand on the stage and pucker up and sensors will detect the type of kiss you're sharing. A readout will tell you how many and what types of microbes you've just shared. But that requires a trip to Amsterdam.

If you really want to know, that is. Some of us just might prefer kissing in the dark.

We are so dirty on the inside, and on the outside. Our puny Westerner consciences can't deal with it :cry: thank god our glorious poop scientists are here to rescue us from ourselves :ss

narouz

Lots of unseen things goin' on.
The one article says if people live together
their microbiomes begin to look similar over time.
That's not necessarily a couple in an intimate relationship, kissing, etc.
Just inhabiting the same space.
(Or, presumably, just working in the same area over time)....

If that is true, then...
what does this do to the "terrain" viewpoint?
It would seem the terrain--the organism--would remain constant.
But the microbiomes change, allegedly....

Narouz, females living together synchronize menstrual cycles, pendulums on a wall synchronize the beat, etc.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals