Why is sporadic thyroid use bad?

RealNeat

Hans Selye seems to recommend quite a strict protocol for thyroid supplementation. I understand wanting to bring someone's thyroid back to where is should be but it seems the overwhelming advice is to stay consistent.

However, as Ray has mentioned several times people used to regularly eat thyroid and not on any schedule that I'm aware of.

So why couldn't someone take a grain or so of thyroid without fear? The object would be to mimic occasional thyroid consumption. I want to experiment with that method of supplementation but even I have been made afraid of doing it due to the opposition of sporadic thyroid use on the forum.

Thoughts?

Limon9

Hans Selye seems to recommend quite a strict protocol for thyroid supplementation. I understand wanting to bring someone's thyroid back to where is should be but it seems the overwhelming advice is to stay consistent.

However, as Ray has mentioned several times people used to regularly eat thyroid and not on any schedule that I'm aware of.

So why couldn't someone take a grain or so of thyroid without fear? The object would be to mimic occasional thyroid consumption. I want to experiment with that method of supplementation but even I have been made afraid of doing it due to the opposition of sporadic thyroid use on the forum.

Thoughts?
Dr. Peat said the gland heals quickly, so this would hopefully be a harmless experiment. Maybe those nonagenarian fish-head-soup people & the pre-gullet-trimming-law fast food consumers were healthier and faced less assaults environmental or congenital than someone in (almost) 2023, allowing more lenience.

Atman

Do you have the exact quote? Hard to know what he meant exactly without it.

I have personally taken sporadic thyroid supplements for many years now, without any issues.

exile

I’ve wondered about this too. He did say “I knew Norwegians who lived in fishing villages and ate fish head soup every week who said all their relatives were healthy into their 90s.”

Normal Human

Thoughts?
I think it's a reasonable thought. In fact, hearing Ray talk about how thyroid used to make up part of our natural diet was helpful to me in shifting my perception of "taking a hormone".

I don't think anything is likely wrong with this in principle, however 1 grain sporadically taken may be a bit high, as most people recommend starting around half a grain when starting a thyroid supplemental program.

OP
RealNeat

RealNeat

I think it's a reasonable thought. In fact, hearing Ray talk about how thyroid used to make up part of our natural diet was helpful to me in shifting my perception of "taking a hormone".

I don't think anything is likely wrong with this in principle, however 1 grain sporadically taken may be a bit high, as most people recommend starting around half a grain when starting a thyroid supplemental program.
Eating a meal with thyroid likely results in higher dose than 1 grain. Thyroid supplements are pre-formed hormones however as opposed to liberated after digestion, which real food thyroid does.

Theres where i can see issues arising if anywhere. I think that aspect could be mitigated by taking it with a meal as Ray suggests.

Normal Human

Eating a meal with thyroid likely results in higher dose than 1 grain. Thyroid supplements are pre-formed hormones however as opposed to liberated after digestion, which real food thyroid does.

Theres where i can see issues arising if anywhere. I think that aspect could be mitigated by taking it with a meal as Ray suggests.
I agree, I know he spoke of that directly regarding NDT forms of thyroid with meals.

OP
RealNeat

RealNeat

I agree, I know he spoke of that directly regarding NDT forms of thyroid with meals.
My understanding is that he feels that way about any thyroid supplementation. With a meal.

He also bashes on med professionals who say to take it away from a meal as its natural release endogenously is a trickle and not a dump.

Its possible that with more consistent consumption the body would learn to adapt to the thyroid meals.

Ray has also mentioned chicken neck soup guy who over did it and his temperatures and breathing went mad, but he lived.

I think unless someone is fresh out of a heart attack experimenting with small meals and or doses here and there is safeish.

I once took a NDT brand sold OTC and i could feel my thyroid "clenching."

The dose must have been hefty. This is the supp Thyroid Health the dose seems pretty unusual when compared to other NDT supps, wonder why they think its ok?

Normal Human

My understanding is that he feels that way about any thyroid supplementation. With a meal.

He also bashes on med professionals who say to take it away from a meal as its natural release endogenously is a trickle and not a dump.

Its possible that with more consistent consumption the body would learn to adapt to the thyroid meals.

Ray has also mentioned chicken neck soup guy who over did it and his temperatures and breathing went mad, but he lived.

I think unless someone is fresh out of a heart attack experimenting with small meals and or doses here and there is safeish.

I once took a NDT brand sold OTC and i could feel my thyroid "clenching."

The dose must have been hefty. This is the supp Thyroid Health the dose seems pretty unusual when compared to other NDT supps, wonder why they think its ok?
Yeah, that supplement doesn't even make sense to me lol. 350MG is nearly 6 grains (??). "Thyroxine-free" (?). Yes, very weird formulation.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals