Why Is Salt Reducing My Water Retention And Frequent Urination?

connorj123

i am genuinely curious as to why this is happening. for years my face has been really bloated, but i notice it would change in severity based on what i was eating. and it would only bloat on one side funnily enough, making just one side of my face look chubby. in the past when i was on a vegan diet, if i cut out literally all added salt (at the time i was eating mostly fruit) i could get the facial bloating down. now i have started adding salt to my milk (with sugar) and i put a lot of salt on my food (as much as what seems right to me) and within 2 days my anxiety is definitely less, but my face isnt bloated on the one side anymore. i've also gone from peeing really excessively down to what is normal for me , thoughts ?

edit: i dont know if theres any science behind this, but eating excess sugar (without) salt seems to make me feel worse

HumanLife

Salt, energy, metabolic rate, and longevity

Many young women periodically crave salt and sugar, especially around ovulation and premenstrually, when estrogen is high. Physiologically, this is similar to the food cravings of pregnancy. Premenstrual water retention is a common problem, and physicians commonly offer the same advice to cycling women that was offered as a standard treatment for pregnant women–the avoidance of salt, sometimes with a diuretic. But when women premenstrually increase their salt intake according to their craving, the water retention can be prevented.

linx

Forum Supporter
Low salt, low blood pressure, and stress can all trigger the RAAS system. Ultimately this causes a cascade of hormones resulting in increased aldosterone which increases sodium absorption and potassium wasting. Water follows sodium increasing blood pressure and water retention. Therefore if you're low in salt, increasing it can reduce water retention by reducing RAAS activity.