Why Is Peat A Fan Of Milk With All The Unhealthy Opioids In It?

Hgreen56

Milk and orange juice are the safest basic things, raw carrot helps to reduce intestinal inflammation and absorption of endotoxin, liver, eggs, and oysters are foods with a high ratio of nutrients to toxins." -Ray Peat
Notes Toward An "Optimal Peat Diet"

So peat is a fan of milk, but why?
opioids in milk or other dairy foods have lots of side effects.
- increase prolactin
- increase estrogen
- lower dopamine
- cause autism

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/10942912.2012.712077
Opioid Peptides: An Overview of Functional Significance
https://edepot.wur.nl/8139
Error - Cookies Turned Off
Peptides’ role in autism with emphasis on exorphins

Aymen

Coffee in milk is protective, don't drink 1 liter straight but 2 cups with fruits/honey/white sugar every few hours and you should be fine.

Maljam

I think the denial of the opioid effects of milk is one big flaw in Peats work. He consumes excessive amounts of coffee, that contains potent anti opioid compounds, so he wouldn't feel any opioid effects personally.

Don't worry what Peat thinks, just switch over to goat dairy and maybe drink some coffee if you tolerate it and forget about it.

boris

Me: The opioid peptide beta-casomorphine-7 from A1 milk worries me, do you have any thoughts on this since you haven't spoken fondly of opioids
Ray Peat: The experiments involved injecting it into brains. It’s a peptide derived from partial digestion of casein; good digestion should reduce it to amino acids.

Maljam

@boris

The problem with that is good digestion should reduce it to amnio acids.

How many people come to Peats writing and want advice with already good digestion? People come to him in poor health and poor digestion, which cow dairy exacerbates imo, so what should they do? (Goat dairy)

schultz

BCM7 appears to be protective from what I've read. Assuming it gets into the system undigested it appears to be anti-inflammatory and down regulates ACE and upregulates ACE2. That would actually help a person with a corona virus. Dare I say that it cures COVID-19? Maybe... :eek:

Why do you think it is bad?

Hans

Forum Supporter
The opioid issue is with A1 milk. Just drink A2 milk and there shouldn't be an issue.

rei

There shouldn't be an issue with any decent quality milk. If there is, then it is a clue to the underlying health problem.

And please don't confuse drinking skim milk with having problems from milk. Any and all studies done on full milk vs. skim has shown significant damage from skim milk. Both in adults, and children. Up to statistically significant increase in obesity from skim milk in children.

Unhomogenized full milk should be tried by everybody, even if you think you have milk allergy, endorphin effect or anything really. Chances are you have previously been consuming industrial byproduct that is not really fit for human consumption.

Last edited:

Maljam

BCM7 appears to be protective from what I've read. Assuming it gets into the system undigested it appears to be anti-inflammatory and down regulates ACE and upregulates ACE2. That would actually help a person with a corona virus. Dare I say that it cures COVID-19? Maybe... :eek:

Why do you think it is bad?

The links OP posted cover it well.

Have a read through Travis's posts on the forum about it, he explains it in incredible detail. Using the search function try words like "opioid" or "goat" and the username "Travis" it doesn't pop up any more but it will still search fine. Changing from A1 to A2/goat milk had drastic health differences to me.

Jessie

Most of it is really bad science. Same as the "milk has estrogen in it" stuff.

It doesn't take into account that milk also has progesterone and thyroid in it, and a generous amount of calcium which supports the metabolic rate in several different ways.

Additionally, it also doesn't explain why our dairy phobic culture tends to be one of the most unhealthiest and most obese societies in the world. Meanwhile milk drinkers tend to live longer and are less fat.

There's also a surprisingly high amount of centenarians that drink milk and eat dairy. In fact, their dairy consumption is one of the key things that stand out that separates them from the average.

Is it the perfect food? Probably not, but it's better than grains, oil, starch, and meat.

It's a logically incoherent point to critique milk if the individual is eating any of the aforementioned in large amounts. Milk drinkers aren't dying prematurely and many of them live well into their late 90s and 100s.

OP
Hgreen56

Hgreen56

Use goat milk/cheese instead or go dairy free.

@boris
so what should they do? (Goat dairy)
how is it that goat milk is different than from cows and dont have opioids?

Coffee in milk is protective, don't drink 1 liter straight but 2 cups with fruits/honey/white sugar every few hours and you should be fine.
is it the coffee or caffeine thats make it protective?

The opioid issue is with A1 milk. Just drink A2 milk and there shouldn't be an issue.
is there a reason that you don't say goat milk besides a2 milk?

i have googled yesterday about A2 milk and there are lot of people saying that A1 & A2 milk are the same and its only a commercial thing so they make a lot of money on it.
I'm not saying I agree with them, i am just confused.

Changing from A1 to A2/goat milk had drastic health differences to me.

i have googled yesterday about A2 milk and there are lot of people saying that A1 & A2 milk are the same and its only a commercial thing so they make a lot of money on it.
I'm not saying I agree with them, i am just confused.

OP
Hgreen56

Hgreen56

Additionally, it also doesn't explain why our dairy phobic culture tends to be one of the most unhealthiest and most obese societies in the world. Meanwhile milk drinkers tend to live longer and are less fat.
i am not phobic about it, i always notice prolactin and estrogen symptoms after consuming dairy within a hour.
(never tried a2 milk or goat milk, so i going to try that for a change)

Vegancrossfit

I think it’s an easy answer

So peat is a fan of milk, but why?

probably personal preference and extrapolation from his own experience

opioids in milk or other dairy foods have lots of side effects.
- increase prolactin
- increase estrogen
- lower dopamine
- cause autism

if I don’t have any of those, and Ray doesn’t have any of those, even when consuming the cheapest mass produced skim milk with cheap additives, I’ll tend to think that it’s all bollocks.

Everybody can be biased you know

schultz

Have a read through Travis's posts on the forum about it, he explains it in incredible detail. Using the search function try words like "opioid" or "goat" and the username "Travis" it doesn't pop up any more but it will still search fine. Changing from A1 to A2/goat milk had drastic health differences to me.

Yes Travis doesn't seem to like milk for some reason. I have argued with him about the estrogen issue before. I don't think the tiny amount of estrogen is a problem, nor do I think the "opiate" thing is a problem (oh my gosh, it sounds like opium so it must be bad! It's like drinking heroin!!)

The Protective Effects of Beta-Casomorphin-7 against Glucose -Induced Renal Oxidative Stress In Vivo and Vitro

This study suggests it's protective. Personally, I think it probably doesn't have much biological effect negative or positive.

Cow's have both A1 and A2, it's just that some cow's have more of one or the other. As far as I understand it no breed has 100% of one or the other.

Hans

Forum Supporter
I'm not saying I agree with them, i am just confused
There is a difference between A1 and A2 and it's been studied as well. The beta-casein of A1 milk contains a histidine at 67 position in its protrein structure whereas A2 beta-casein contains a proline at that position. This makes the A2 milk easier to digest and less likely to cause issues.

equipoise

I developed a distaste for milk after I got fat in my adolescent years. I also developed gyno, which I thoroughly blamed on milk.
I consumed up to 20L of milk a week from age 3 to age 15. I have to note though that I had the most amazing and luscious hair. Thick, shiny, with a perfect hairline.
Never broke a bone in my body, and I lived dangerously. All the other kids had numerous broken bones and what not. I was always stronger than my peers even though I was shorter than them. I have a massive frame for my height which is around 173cm. Like top tier. I cut weight by cutting out all diary and had a gyno op done.
I love dairy now and full fat, semi skimmed and all sorts of cows and goat milk.
I ruined my health with drugs, intermittent fasting and a lot of bad experimentation. But I'm not sad. It all led to where I am today.

Milk is amazing.

Aymen

how is it that goat milk is different than from cows and dont have opioids?

is it the coffee or caffeine thats make it protective?
Coffee has a Mu-opioid antagonist called caffeoyl quinide
4-Caffeoyl-1,5-quinide in roasted coffee inhibits [3H]naloxone binding and reverses anti-nociceptive effects of morphine in mice - PubMed
Coffee contains potent opiate receptor binding activity - PubMed

you can try sheep or goat's milk too and see what works for you.
releated thread: Casein Contains Opioid Receptor Agonists + Removal Methods

Back
Top Bottom