Why Is Nutella Considered Bad By Peatarians?

Mauritio

I made my own nutella with low fat butter, dark chocolate, and some coconut oil .
It's very delicious.
Weirdly I still find myself craving normal nutella for some reason ...

lilsticky

I made my own nutella with low fat butter, dark chocolate, and some coconut oil .
It's very delicious.
Might be the tocotrienols that palm oil have

Mauritio

Might be the tocotrienols that palm oil have
Thanks, that's a great guess! I will check tocotrienols out at some point in the future.

schultz

It's very delicious.

Did you put any hazelnut flavouring in it?

Sugartits

Woo. Yess. We need a Peaty recipe for faux Nutella. I once got a Nutella ring on my forehead from the jar. Glory! There are some things I do miss about being obese.

Could we eat that defatted peanut butter powder if we mixed it with sugar and a saturated fat and some cocoa? I am serious you guys.

Mauritio

schultz

Woo. Yess. We need a Peaty recipe for faux Nutella. I once got a Nutella ring on my forehead from the jar. Glory! There are some things I do miss about being obese.

Could we eat that defatted peanut butter powder if we mixed it with sugar and a saturated fat and some cocoa? I am serious you guys.

I didn't know such a powder existed. I did enjoy peanut butter. I cut it out of my life in one fell swoop and I haven't had it since. It's been 9 or 10 years maybe?

I wonder if there are any issues with the powder?

Mauritio

I'm just wondering if that would make it taste very similar to Nutella, or just some oddly flavoured chocolate paste? I guess it depends on the quality of the "flavouring".
I think it would . My recipe already came pretty close and the coconut oil actually fits in really well.
I just dont crave it as much as normal nutella . Maybe it's the childhood memories ? :D

Dr. B

Palm oil is absolutely NOT peat friendly. It is almost completely PUFAs. It also has an insane amount of beta carotene, which is also not peat friendly. Palm Kernel oil, however, is more saturated but still contains too much PUFAs and other allergens, and the ingredient is Palm oil, not Palm Kernel oil.

Hazelnuts are a HUGE addition of PUFAs. That's pretty much all they're made of. The minimal benefits of vitamin E in the nuts would be outdone by all the other toxic ingredients.

Soy lecithin is so poisonous the small amount in processed foods is enough to cause major cancers. Refined whey is also too high in tryptophan, which is also degraded during the processing into something even more toxic than it is in its natural state.
where did you get this info from? Palm oil is mostly saturated and mufa fat, the wikipedia article on it repeatedly mentions its a highly saturated fat. moreover if you look at the chocolate bars using palm oil they have significant saturated fat, remainder is mufa with some pufa if its something like a snickers. im not sure about the amount of beta carotene, that may be too small relatively speaking when youre just having a few grams of palm oil.
im not sure how toxic soy lecithin is but Ray iirc has said the amount in chocolate bars is so small it isnt a big deal. in terms of grams of PUFA its likely pretty low... a chocolate bar with 10g fat has maybe 100mg of lecithin

Steed

On the website of Nutella, they mention that the palm oil they are using is semi-solid in room temperature. So they are not using palm olein which melts at 19 Celcius, which is higher in PUFAS of course. Ferrero likely use regular palm oil with melting point 34 Celcius, which is semi-solid in room temp.

From the Nutella website:

INGREDIENTS: SUGAR, PALM OIL, HAZELNUTS, COCOA, SKIM MILK, REDUCED MINERALS WHEY (MILK), LECITHIN AS EMULSIFIER (SOY), VANILLIN: AN ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR.

The first two abundant ingredients - sugar and palm oil - seem to be peat approved. Hazelnuts themselves are not, but it does not say "hazelnut oil" - so that's a minimal addition of PUFAs, possibly very little depending on how they process it. And the rest of the ingredients: skim milk, whey, licithin, and vanilla are all basically approved.

Why isn't this "healthy" by peat standards?
Ummmm palm oil is bad, hazelnuts are full of PUFA, soy is bad, lecithin is bad and artificial is bad. Unless you just discovered Ray Peat I don’t understand why this is even a question..

Dr. B

I didn't know such a powder existed. I did enjoy peanut butter. I cut it out of my life in one fell swoop and I haven't had it since. It's been 9 or 10 years maybe?

I wonder if there are any issues with the powder?
DEfatted might have no fat but peanuts have other issues with their protein and more, they have phytoestrogens and are a fungus or mold
Iirc

Matestube

Ummmm palm oil is bad, hazelnuts are full of PUFA, soy is bad, lecithin is bad and artificial is bad. Unless you just discovered Ray Peat I don’t understand why this is even a question..
Why would you have such a rude and belligerent tone in all your contributions?
Palm oil is not all that bad given it's SFA/MUFA/PUFA ratio, that's coming from Peat himself.
Unless you can explain what makes it that bad, in a calm and argumented way.

I sometimes have the impression that you are a teenage male trolling, I have never seen that level of agressivity in a female, let alone a female your age.

Why would you have such a rude and belligerent tone in all your contributions?
Palm oil is not all that bad given it's SFA/MUFA/PUFA ratio, that's coming from Peat himself.
Unless you can explain what makes it that bad, in a calm and argumented way.

I sometimes have the impression that you are a teenage male trolling, I have never seen that level of agressivity in a female, let alone a female your age.
“The triglyceride of palm oil contains polyunsaturated fat that easily develops a rancid taste. It’s extracted from the husk of the coconut.” -Ray Peat

"Although I don’t recommend “palm oil” as a food, because I think it is less stable than coconut oil, some studies show that it contains valuable nutrients. For example, it contains antioxidants similar to vitamin E, which lowers both LDL cholesterol and a platelet clotting factor." -Ray Peat 2/27/2022

Q: You say vegetable oils are hazardous to your health. What vegetable oils are you talking about?

“Mainly, I'm referring to soybean oil, corn oil, safflower oil, canola, sesame oil, sunflower seed oil, palm oil, and any others that are labeled as "unsaturated" or "polyunsaturated." Almond oil, which is used in many cosmetics, is very unsaturated.” Ray Peat
Unsaturated Vegetable Oils - Toxic Article

“The anti-obesity effect of coconut oil is clear in all of the animal studies, and in my friends who eat it regularly. It is now hard to get it in health food stores, since Hain stopped selling it. The Spectrum product looks and feels a little different to me, and I suppose the particular type of tree, region, and method of preparation can account for variations in the consistency and composition of the product. The unmodified natural oil is called “76 degree melt,” since that is its natural melting temperature. One bottle from a health food store was labeled “natural coconut oil, 92% unsaturated oil,” and it had the greasy consistency of old lard. I suspect that someone had confused palm oil (or something worse) with coconut oil, because it should be about 96% saturated fatty acids.” -Ray Peat

125g Butter
3 tbsp oil-reduced cocoa powder
400g condensed and maybe sweetened milk
60g milk chocolate bar

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals