Why Is Nutella Considered Bad By Peatarians?

narouz

The palm oil is the question mark for me, java.
I did a thread a long time ago
with just the subject palm oil vs. palm kernal oil.

It's been so long ago I'm kinda foggy on it.
But I think palm kernal oil was pretty decent,
maybe like olive oil or even better as far as PUFA.
But just the straight palm oil was pretty bad I think.

I'll have to consult my own thread. :eek: :lol:

And while over 80 percent of the fat in palm kernel oil is saturated, only 50 percent of palm oil is, making it easier on arteries. Palm oil's reddish or golden color is a clue that it also contains a fair amount of heart-healthy carotenoids. Some research even suggests that the fatty acids in palm oil don't raise cholesterol the way saturated fats traditionally do.

eiEhPA9.gif

narouz

Haha yeah...I know, Idi.
But I figure they at least got the contents and percentages right. :lol:

javacody

I was more interested in the Hazelnuts.

But thanks for the clarification on the palm vs palm kernel oil.

Now I know what to watch out for.

schultz

I'm not sure I would say that palm oil and hazelnuts are "almost completely PUFA"
Also, palm kernel is way better than olive oil in terms of PUFA... it's lower than coconut oil.

Palm Kernel Oil has 1.6% PUFA
Coconut Oil has 1.8% PUFA
Palm Oil has 9.3% PUFA
Hazelnut Oil has 10.2% PUFA
Olive Oil has 10.5% PUFA

natedawggh

javacody said:
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread. But I've been researching traditional Irish and northern European diets (trying to find out about Doggerland diet as well, but not much is turning up).

You don't really SOUND sorry, in fact you sound quite pleased with yourself.

javacody said:
Hazelnuts, along with dairy were a staple for the Irish before the potato wrecked their lives. Hazelnuts ARE NOT predominately PUFA. More BS from people who open their mouths without knowing what they are talking about.

Hazelnut fat is predominantly MUFA.

Yes, I misspoke when I said PUFAs were pretty much all they are made of. What I meant by that statement is that they are a significant source of PUFAs. There is 24 mg per 1 ounce [EDIT: the correct amount is 2.4 grams, not 24 mg. I don't know why I accidentally typed 24 mg. 2.4 Grams! Via nutritiondata.self.com]. That is WAY more than Dr. Peat considers allowable in the diet, and that was the point of my post, in addition to the fact that Palm Oil also has a high content of PUFAs and so Nutella is NOT peat friendly. If it was made of coconut oil the PUFAs in the hazelnuts wouldn't' be a problem, but it's not and they are. But If you want to eat nutella so bad go ahead!

tara

natedawggh said:
Yes, I misspoke when I said PUFAs were pretty much all they are made of. What I meant by that statement is that they are a significant source of PUFAs. There is 24 mg per 1 ounce. That is WAY more than Dr. Peat considers allowable in the diet, and that was the point of my post, in addition to the fact that Palm Oil also has a high content of PUFAs and so Nutella is NOT peat friendly. If it was made of coconut oil the PUFAs in the hazelnuts wouldn't' be a problem, but it's not and they are. But If you want to eat nutella so bad go ahead!
I can't find hazel nuts or nutella on nutritiondata, but 24mg/ounce looks surprisingly low to me. That would make it a great deal lower in PUFA than a single egg, and Peat regularly recommends eggs.

1 large poached egg: ~ 700mg PUFA

I'm not recommending nutella, but whether it is an improvement in someone's diet depends on what they would otherwise eat.

4peatssake

I do find the idea of comfort food a little sick :shock:

natedawggh

tara said:
natedawggh said:
Yes, I misspoke when I said PUFAs were pretty much all they are made of. What I meant by that statement is that they are a significant source of PUFAs. There is 24 mg per 1 ounce. That is WAY more than Dr. Peat considers allowable in the diet, and that was the point of my post, in addition to the fact that Palm Oil also has a high content of PUFAs and so Nutella is NOT peat friendly. If it was made of coconut oil the PUFAs in the hazelnuts wouldn't' be a problem, but it's not and they are. But If you want to eat nutella so bad go ahead!
I can't find hazel nuts or nutella on nutritiondata, but 24mg/ounce looks surprisingly low to me. That would make it a great deal lower in PUFA than a single egg, and Peat regularly recommends eggs.

I'm not recommending nutella, but whether it is an improvement in someone's diet depends on what they would otherwise eat.

LOL. I am not doing well with numbers here. 1 ounce of hazelnuts is 2.4 grams of PUFAs. not 24 mg. Which is WAYYYY more than 24 mg and way more than is peat friendly. I had a brain fart when I was typing it. (sourcing this from nutritiondata.self.com

Yes the point was that unlike an egg, which you can cook in coconut oil, nutella is pretty much a grenade of PUFAs. I supposed if you drank enough coconut oil to offset the PUFAs in nutella you might be okay, but that does't account for all the other crap that's in it and that would have to be a LOT of coconut oil. :shock: And of course, I am not happy to be having this opinion about nutella, believe you me.

javacody

natedawggh said:
tara said:
natedawggh said:

LOL. I am not doing well with numbers here. 1 ounce of hazelnuts is 2.4 grams of PUFAs. not 24 mg. Which is WAYYYY more than 24 mg and way more than is peat friendly. I had a brain fart when I was typing it. (sourcing this from nutritiondata.self.com

Yes the point was that unlike an egg, which you can cook in coconut oil, nutella is pretty much a grenade of PUFAs. I supposed if you drank enough coconut oil to offset the PUFAs in nutella you might be okay, but that does't account for all the other crap that's in it and that would have to be a LOT of coconut oil. :shock: And of course, I am not happy to be having this opinion about nutella, believe you me.

I was thinking you could make your own with hazelnuts, good chocolate, and coconut oil.

Personally, I miss having nuts in my diet. So it's nice to know I can have an ounce of Hazelnuts or Cashews maybe once a week and not overdose on PUFA.

schultz

I think the lecithin alone makes Nutella worth avoiding.
PUFA amounts to (more or less) 1g per TBSP of Nutella. That seems pretty high to me.

You could probably make your own with hazelnut extract. Personally I have nothing to put it on or eat it with so it would be a lot of work for nothing.

BigChad

Palm oil is absolutely NOT peat friendly. It is almost completely PUFAs. It also has an insane amount of beta carotene, which is also not peat friendly. Palm Kernel oil, however, is more saturated but still contains too much PUFAs and other allergens, and the ingredient is Palm oil, not Palm Kernel oil.

Hazelnuts are a HUGE addition of PUFAs. That's pretty much all they're made of. The minimal benefits of vitamin E in the nuts would be outdone by all the other toxic ingredients.

Soy lecithin is so poisonous the small amount in processed foods is enough to cause major cancers. Refined whey is also too high in tryptophan, which is also degraded during the processing into something even more toxic than it is in its natural state.

palm oil is mostly saturated fat? with some mono. where are you getting your info from. palm oil says 7g saturated, 5g monounsaturated, 1.3g pufa. Same with hazelnut... I'm not getting why you're saying they're made of pufas when a quick google shows they are 6g saturated fat, 11g pufa, 62g monounsaturated. The pufa amount is significant enough to avoid large amounts of hazelnuts but not the main thing.

You might be right on soy lecithin but someone posted a quote from Ray saying the amount needed as an emulsifier is extremely small. Vitamin E supplements with soy oil would likely have more pufa than lecithin. lecithin even in whey protein powders should be 100mg to 200mg per scoop at most? I'm not sure how much would be present in twix/milky way bars

schultz

You might be right on soy lecithin but someone posted a quote from Ray saying the amount needed as an emulsifier is extremely small.

I've heard this from Ray as well. He said the lecithin in chocolate is not a huge concern, or something like that.

OceanSpray

Btw why are Americans mixing imperial and metric units? Don’t they have gram equivalents? Like miniounces, or pebbles, or bits, or specks? Or something else imperial-sounding.

Seems pretty hypocritical to me. On one hand they refuse to let go of these whacky fairly tale units, but when they need precision suddenly grams don’t look that bad.

And weren’t they supposed to kick the Queen’s **** instead of kissing it by holding onto this archaic mumbo jumbo? It gives the Brits a false validation of international relevance.

Come on people, metrics is where it’s at!

PS: And no, plam oil is not ‘mostly pufa’, whether kernel or not. It’s one of the most saturated plant oils.

Last edited:

BigChad

It's weird, googling "nutella calories", on the side nutrition facts show for "chocolate spread" and under fat it says 11g fat all saturated. I think that means there should be some nutella clones out there which are entirely saturated fat?