Why Is Nutella Considered Bad By Peatarians?

From the Nutella website:

INGREDIENTS: SUGAR, PALM OIL, HAZELNUTS, COCOA, SKIM MILK, REDUCED MINERALS WHEY (MILK), LECITHIN AS EMULSIFIER (SOY), VANILLIN: AN ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR.

The first two abundant ingredients - sugar and palm oil - seem to be peat approved. Hazelnuts themselves are not, but it does not say "hazelnut oil" - so that's a minimal addition of PUFAs, possibly very little depending on how they process it. And the rest of the ingredients: skim milk, whey, licithin, and vanilla are all basically approved.

Why isn't this "healthy" by peat standards?

4peatssake

Soy lecithin is deadly stuff. I avoid it like the plague.

From this thread: http://www.raypeatforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=17341#p17341

What Are the Dangers of Soy Lecithin Ingestion?
By Gord Kerr
http://www.livestrong.com/article/52460 ... ingestion/

Soy lecithin is a common ingredient in hundreds of processed foods, including cereals, pasta, breads, soy milk and many meats. Lecithin is also available as a health supplement; proponents claim that it can benefit the heart, brain, liver and athletic performance. However, there are potential dangers of soy lecithin that could outweigh the possible benefits.

Origin
To solve the problem of disposing of the gummy waste residual generated from the soy oil refining process, German companies patented a process of vacuum drying the sludge to make soybean lecithin. Although lecithin originally had many uses, today soy lecithin is used as an emulsifier in foods and infant formulas and also as a health supplement.

Genetic Modification
In 2007, the GMO Compass reported that soy lecithin, like many food products in American supermarkets, contained genetically modified soy. Genetically modified, or GM, foods are biotechnically changed to increase yields and resistance to herbicides and insects. Some health-food advocates and scientists have concerns with the potential long-term impact from eating genetically modified food. For example, a study published in the "Journal of Applied Toxicology" discovered that mice fed GM soybean developed a decrease in pancreatic function. Although the nutrition of the soy was not altered, the study showed that as few as five days of feeding GM food caused pancreatic cellular changes, which were reversed after 30 days of non-GM foods.

Cancer
A compound of soy lecithin, phytoestrogen, can produce effects on the body similar to the hormone estrogen. Soy phytoestrogens may promote an increased risk of breast cancer in adult women by altering or decreasing natural estrogen, although the direct link to cancer is inconclusive. One study reported by Cornell University examined 28 women receiving soy supplements for six months. The women were found to have an increased growth of milk ducts in their breasts, which is a leading forerunner of cancer, according to the Program on Breast Cancer and Environmental Risk Factors in New York State. Conclusions suggest that premenopausal women may be at greatest risk, but further research is needed.

Reproduction
Soy and soy lecithin contain a compound called fenistein that may have a negative effect on fertility and reproduction. According to a study at Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, rats that were fed soybeans containing genistein produced offspring with abnormal reproductive organs, including smaller testes, larger prostate glands and lower testosterone levels. Conclusions suggested that exposure to soy during reproductive development could have long-term detrimental effects in males, ultimately leading to reproductive abnormalities and sexual dysfunction.

Brain Development
Soy lecithin may affect immature brain cells leading to impeded brain development. "Developmental Psychobiology" published the results of a study on brain function in rats fed soy lecithin. Groups were divided into pregnant rats, rats in fetal development and weaned offspring. In the earliest stages, deficits in sensory motor skills, including righting and swimming abilities, were observed in the soy lecithin group. Long-term consumption of soy lecithin produced rats that were inactive physically and mentally with poor reflexes. The study concluded that soy lecithin supplementation in early stages of life may lead to behavioral and cerebral abnormalities.

Dosage
Because lecithin and other dietary supplements do not need FDA approval, there is no defined recommended daily amount. In addition, different brands of supplements may vary in content, purity and strength, which makes safe and effective dosing inconsistent. Talk to your doctor about the amount of lecithin required for your condition. If you are concerned about the amount of lecithin from food you are ingesting, read labels carefully. Lecithin must be listed on labels containing soy in accordance with The Federal Food and Drug Act. However, many processed foods, including fast foods, baked goods and delicatessen and meat products, are not labeled.

From Oils in Context

Ray Peat said:
Brain Damage And Lipid Peroxidation: When pregnant mice were fed either coconut oil or unsaturated seed oil, the mice that got coconut oil had babies with normal brains and intelligence, but the mice exposed to the unsaturated oil had smaller brains, and had inferior intelligence. In another experiment, radioactively labeled soy oil was given to nursing rats, and it was shown to be massively incorporated into brain cells, and to cause visible structural changes in the cells. In 1980, shortly after this study was published in Europe, the U.S. Department of Agriculture issued a recommendation against the use of soy oil in infant formulas. More recently, [68] pregnant rats and their offspring were given soy lecithin with their food, and the exposed offspring developed sensorimotor defects.

Birdie

Also, nuts are not recommended. Neither is whey.

Birdie

Not sure what you were trying to say about hazelnut oil in your question. It's not listed as an ingredient that I can see.

lindsay

the soy lecithin is the only really bad ingredient - whey could be questionable. but once in awhile won't kill you. or, you could make your own similar spread with the same ingredients. and I would think the palm oil would protect agains the hazelnut PUFA.

I bet this stuff would be even better if made with macadamia nuts!! I hate nutella (because I don't like hazelnuts), but chocolate macadamia butter sounds really good......

jyb

Soy lecithin is the reason why I don't eat most chocolate bars/powders. It also appears in unsuspecting places. It's unfortunate because this means I can't eat these wherever I go, but over the years I have come to conclude that tolerance to soy, including lecithin, should be absolutely zero, even if its inconvenient.

OP
O
OK, already a large amount of contradictory information in this thread. There is a very small amount of soy oil due to the lecithin - but very low (basically zero) soy proteins. There are about 50 hazelnuts per jar of Nutella, and less than 20% of a hazelnuts fat is PUFA (mostly mono, and some saturated fats).

4peatsakes' reply doesn't address my question directly. It sounds like the consensus so far is that nutella is fairly peatarian except for a bit of soy lecithin.

lindsay

oxidation_is_normal said:
OK, already a large amount of contradictory information in this thread. There is a very small amount of soy oil due to the lecithin - but very low (basically zero) soy proteins. There are about 50 hazelnuts per jar of Nutella, and less than 20% of a hazelnuts fat is PUFA (mostly mono, and some saturated fats).

4peatsakes' reply doesn't address my question directly. It sounds like the consensus so far is that nutella is fairly peatarian except for a bit of soy lecithin.

I'm pretty sure it's the soy lecithin that is questionable - that's what we've all been saying. Not soy oil. Soy lecithin. If you want, just eat the stuff - it's a terrible tasting processed food, but if you like it and digest it well, who cares? Personally, I would make my own, but that's just me. I love Peanut butter, but I would only eat the fresh stuff because the stuff in jars is a little weird. But occasionally is no big deal.

jyb

I have read studies showing that soy lecithin is so estrogenic, that the amount found in chocolate has estrogenic properties comparable to tofu. "Low" soy protein doesn't mean that's its not toxic, that's a huge assumption.

And that's just for the soy lecithin ingredient.

pboy

I don't know how exactly Peat this response is, but personally ill say what I think. The lecithin isn't ideal, that tiny amount might not be noticeable unless you made it a daily staple. Id be more worried about the hazelnuts and cocoa solids, theyre both very high in antinutrients that will give you stomach ache, and potentially constipation. The skim milk is probably a powder, which means its oxidized and also, potentially indigestible. The PUFA of hazelnuts isn't that high, and it has a lot of vit E so that might not be the worse thing. It has too much sugar for the protein ratio, probably has some maillard reaction products in there from the roasted nuts. I mean honestly its not the worse thing ever, but in the state im in now, any thing like that appears to be like glue to me. I used to be a vegan man so ive eaten so many nuts and...you cant even imagine all the preparations ive done with so many, literally soaking some in batches, tasting each hour to see the difference, soaking then roasting, soaking then steaming, they just aren't digestible, we're talking like a few hundred repititions of doing this and each day tracking my GI movement patterns and always checking elimination. I dont know what it is but yea, they have astringent and antinutrient properties which are detrimental. If might sound weird but I think seeds if anything should be brewed like how coffee is, so you get the magnesium and potassium and other good stuff while leaving most of the offensive stuff behind. The protein in seeds is hardly bioavailable, imbalanced, and same with the fat. Go for it though if you want, because often times...the only way youll know for sure is to try something, and if you don't, it'll keep showing up in the corner of your eye and nagging you and you'll be like "eff those people telling me not to eat it!"...so really you gotta find out

OP
O
lindsay, soy lecithin is made with a certain percentage of soy oil. (source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lecithin#P ... plications )

jyb, it seems like the thing after processing that lecithin can still have from soy are phytosterols (of which some types are estrogenic).

pboy, cocao doesn't seem very bad unless you're one who doesn't do well on it. I don't know how many antinutrients of hazelnuts are around after roasting (the "primary" processing nutella describes on their site), but I'm not sure why we should worry about antinutrients in foods that have positive metabolic effects so long as we're also eating lots of foods with no antinutrients (i.e. animal products).

So it sounds like the only significant reason so far nutella goes against peatarianism is a bit of phytosterol-related estrogenic effects. Are there any peatarian ways to neutralize such compounds from foods?

tara

More than half of a hazel nut is oil, and less than a quarter of that is saturated. It is relatively high in oleic fatty acids, but I don't know the PUFA and MFA ratios.

OP
O
Tara, this is what Wikipedia says (in 100 grams):
Fat 60.75 ---
Saturated 4.464
Monounsaturated 45.652
Polyunsaturated 7.92

tara

Tara, this is what Wikipedia says (in 100 grams):
Fat 60.75 ---
Saturated 4.464
Monounsaturated 45.652
Polyunsaturated 7.92
That seems like another reason not eat jar-fulls at a time on a regular basis.

If you are looking for a chocolate spread/sauce, have you tried mixing cocoa powder into a tin of sweetened condensed milk? Can optionally add a bit of coconut oil and/or vanilla. If it's not thick enough, you could add extra milk powder.

NotSoAlpha

jyb said:
Soy lecithin is the reason why I don't eat most chocolate bars/powders. It also appears in unsuspecting places. It's unfortunate because this means I can't eat these wherever I go, but over the years I have come to conclude that tolerance to soy, including lecithin, should be absolutely zero, even if its inconvenient.

What about SOY SAUCE? Is this bad? I've been using it because it's very delicious and a good way to get salt. It's organic and fermented if that makes any difference.

pboy

comparatively its low or absent in soy toxins which is nice....however there are probably yeast toxins in there, I used to use it and it didn't give problems, I don't anymore tho cause I don't really eat anything it would go on, and just because of the potential yeast fragments (although koji is exceptionally low in toxins compared to most or all other common food yeasts) id probably just not buy it

BingDing

OP, the Peatarian way of dealing with soy lecithin is not eat it, LOL.

AFAIK, Ray has never said palm oil is good. I think he equivocated about it because the vitamin E includes tocotrienols and he doesn't recommend tocotrienols because we don't know enough about them. Since coconut oil is known to be good, that is what he recommends.

Making your own, as lindsay suggests, is often the only way to go.

But people can eat whatever they choose to, there is no warden passing out demerits for not taking Ray's advice. The decline of metabolism with aging is like death by a billion pinpricks. It can be hard to worry too much about any one particular pinprick, but they add up.

You do realize that "just remove the soy lecithin" is not an option for the company, do you?

natedawggh

The first two abundant ingredients - sugar and palm oil - seem to be peat approved. Hazelnuts themselves are not, but it does not say "hazelnut oil" - so that's a minimal addition of PUFAs, possibly very little depending on how they process it. And the rest of the ingredients: skim milk, whey, licithin, and vanilla are all basically approved.

Palm oil is absolutely NOT peat friendly. It is almost completely PUFAs. It also has an insane amount of beta carotene, which is also not peat friendly. Palm Kernel oil, however, is more saturated but still contains too much PUFAs and other allergens, and the ingredient is Palm oil, not Palm Kernel oil.

Hazelnuts are a HUGE addition of PUFAs. That's pretty much all they're made of. The minimal benefits of vitamin E in the nuts would be outdone by all the other toxic ingredients.

Soy lecithin is so poisonous the small amount in processed foods is enough to cause major cancers. Refined whey is also too high in tryptophan, which is also degraded during the processing into something even more toxic than it is in its natural state.

javacody

natedawggh said:

Palm oil is absolutely NOT peat friendly. It is almost completely PUFAs. It also has an insane amount of beta carotene, which is also not peat friendly. Palm Kernel oil, however, is more saturated but still contains too much PUFAs and other allergens, and the ingredient is Palm oil, not Palm Kernel oil.

Hazelnuts are a HUGE addition of PUFAs. That's pretty much all they're made of. The minimal benefits of vitamin E in the nuts would be outdone by all the other toxic ingredients.

Soy lecithin is so poisonous the small amount in processed foods is enough to cause major cancers. Refined whey is also too high in tryptophan, which is also degraded during the processing into something even more toxic than it is in its natural state.

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread. But I've been researching traditional Irish and northern European diets (trying to find out about Doggerland diet as well, but not much is turning up).

Hazelnuts, along with dairy were a staple for the Irish before the potato wrecked their lives. Hazelnuts ARE NOT predominately PUFA. More BS from people who open their mouths without knowing what they are talking about.

Hazelnut fat is predominantly MUFA.

The only nut lower in PUFA than hazelnuts (from my brief search) is macadamia ( I would consider cashews roughly equivalent).

Omega-6 Content Various Nuts (1/4 cup)

Walnuts – 9.5 g

Almonds – 4.36 g

Cashews – 2.6 g

Macadamias – 0.5 g

Brazil nuts – 7.2 g

Hazelnuts – 2.7 g

Pistachio – 4.1 g

Pine nuts – 11.6 g

Pecans – 5.8 g

Read more: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/nuts-ome ... z3h2rBbv5d

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals