Why is my instinct anti-carb (and even anti-peat ?) ?

OP
DDRB

DDRB

@DDRB I came from doing carnivore and nuts before it was a thing, Ive been experimenting with Peats ideas for 6 years and used to crave fat like you but it's gone away but took more 5 years for the insatiable fat cravings to stop. I'm not sure why.
It's not necessarily a question of taste, carbohydrates are filling, especially starch. My topic is "against" starch more than against peat.

You seem to be a good cook :) But that's the problem, just like we can't say that a person who is only beautiful when she's well dressed and well-groomed is really beautiful, I don't think you can say that a high to very high carbohydrate diet is pleasant if you have a particular need to cook.
In addition, your dishes seem quite balanced at the macronutrient level and finally quite rich in fat, my point was the very high carbohydrate diets like the Mcdougal diets.

I DO NOT like cooking, AT ALL. I like eating tasty and healthy foods and I am not gonna find that in a restaurant. I wish the food would magically land in front of me, but that is not gonna happen, just like doing my laundry, I just have to get off by butt and get the job done and I get it done well, just like my laundry. I sort my laundry and never will you find a stain, even on 10 year old clothing. I eat high fat and I eat low-fat foods, and have many food threads on this forum that cover many needs. Sometimes I need fats and sometimes I don’t. What I am eating presently is different than what I was eating 6 months ago, and may be different 6 months from now. Presently I am not eating to lose weight, as I have achieved my fat loss goal, so I get to enjoy more fats nowadays than I did months ago. People on keto and low carb diets only address weight loss, Ray Peat addresses thyroid, hormones, anti-aging and healing.

Herbie

It's not necessarily a question of taste, carbohydrates are filling, especially starch. My topic is "against" starch more than against peat.
Yeah I meant craving as in the need for fat not the taste of it.

I've written this before and people argue but I think you will agree that out the protein, fat and carbs. carbs are the most difficult thing to get in the diet because starch causes digestive issues and takes time and effort to prepare properly and make palatable, fruit is seasonal and can be allergenic, any fruit and sugar usually comes with lots of water which can be an issue.

Carnivore diet is awesome in that it's very fast and easy to high quality, great tasting, super clean and digestable.

Peat is trying to make the best of a bad situation and tweaking it constantly.

I am totally with you on the starches!

Nomane Euger

@DDRB hi,to answer to your original post,most popular starches have almost no taste,i dont think its inherent to starches,i had honey where in theory the fructose and gluclose splitted in 2 distincts parts,and what is speculated to be the glucose had a very little degree of taste,like starch,only the fructose part tasted great,i think high starches diet are far from optimal.high sugar(sugar in the form of refined sugar,sirup honey)is trash too and the tasting quickly become not very enjoyable,and you feel trash afterward.a diet high in certains very ripe fruits can be fantastic,even even you consume a bunch of honey with it as long as you eat enough of these ripe fruits.high coconut water or high milk for some even copple with high sugar can be great too

Nomane Euger

I've been recently reading that good meat, with added salt is a good way to build up your stomach acid, and that too high carb diets tend to cause low stomach acid.
hi,with respect to you,this claims from the peoples that wrote it is non sense bro science,meat and salt is good to stimulate stomach acid when you do have the ressources to produce it safely ,specifically cooked in a certain state and or with some long enough degree of fermentation and or aging,when you dont have the ressources to produce stomach acid safely,it will just sit in your stomach or burn your stomach in certains specific contexts.its also possible that eating salt when you have low stomach production do worsen your state further more,as my self and some of the people i know experienced.high carbs diet can potentially lower your stomach acid potential if your diet isnt rich enough therefore you deplete yourself,high carbs diet while your whole diet is rich enough will on the contrary give you a very high stomach acid potential where you can eat meat and a bunch of fat and do sport right after,or sleep right after with out getting any reflux or trouble

I feel your frustration in trying to find what works for you, particularly when when works for you seems to look so unfavourable through a particular lens. And to make things even worse, sometimes you look and feel your healthiest on a diet that isn't particularly enjoyable. It can be really confusing.

What is working for me right now is tuning right into my cravings, beyond what is considered a conventional meal. For example, I don't usually crave steak & potatoes. I'm craving steak or I'm craving potatoes. And when I'm craving something sweet, I'm not craving some sweetened cream desert or similar, I need sweet ripe fruit. Doesn't mean I won't crave a nice steak in a few hours. Some days I don't want fatty foods, some days I do. Some days I want a lot of fruit, some days not at all. Am I making sense? Eat what you want, so long as it's natural and not toxic, without feeling pressured to eat what comes with the meal.

I think if you combine this intuition with knowledge and thus avoidance of harmful substances like PUFA and gluten and toxins and antinutrients, I have faith you'll find something that works well for you.

RollingStone

I think this idea that everyone needs to find what works for them, while true to some small extent, is misleading, because a species is generally adapted to a certain kind of diet. Their physiology demands a specific diet to function at it's best. There is a generally optimal way to eat and it's different for each species but not different for different animals within that species. If an animal strays too far from their optimal diet, they will lose health. Challenge: Find any species of animal where you can take 2 different animals of that same species, feed them each a completely different diet, and have them both thrive the same. It's just not really how it works. A biology is set up to work a certain way and take certain inputs. I guess it's possible that you could have a species that is going through a transition phase where their biology is adjusting to a change, and they are sort of in the middle of that transition and not leaning mostly to one side or the other, but this would be a very rare exception I think.

We can survive on farm vegetables and grains and stuff, but it's not optimal and we will not develop to our full potential by eating these foods and health will degenerate.

The idea that we should eat what we crave or whatever is also flawed, because while it will lead you to some good choices, it will also lead you to terrible ones. Sugar hijacks your reward system the same way addictive drugs do. If a sugar-addict just follows their cravings, they will eat doughnuts and cola and cake. If they are more health conscious, they will resist the baked desserts and candy and it will be fruits and starch they are addicted to.

P

pineywoodrooter

I don't agree with all of it either. High sugar doesn't work for me. I also don't understand the ultra low fat diet. I think we have a gallbladder for a reason.

The carrot salad does nothing (for me). White bottom mushrooms are high in FODMAPS. Milk is high in both tryptophan and FODMAPS (saying it's not converted to serotonin is a stretch IMO). Eating tons of carbs releases serotonin unless you're consuming pure fructose. Lot's of Vitamin A can cause liver issues (liver, OJ, eggs).

His dietary advice is still well ahead of anyone else out there. The main stream still thinks canola oil is heart healthy, soy is acceptable, red meat causes heart disease, and eating egg yolks is worse than smoking.

Eating enough carbs and not eating PUFA oils is what I mostly got out of his work.

jet9

I would say at least 10-20% of people on this forum are anti-starch and eat no starch at all. For me personally starch is worst food group from all (worse than PUFA, etc), I never eat it anymore. Yes, it’s filling but it sucks life out of me.

Once you remove starch completely you will find your self craving fruits more too.

So diet of meat / eggs / seafood + fruits / honey + some macadamia / hazelnut (which are lowest PUFA nuts from all) is pretty Peaty.

Matestube

I DO NOT like cooking, AT ALL. I like eating tasty and healthy foods and I am not gonna find that in a restaurant. I wish the food would magically land in front of me, but that is not gonna happen, just like doing my laundry, I just have to get off by butt and get the job done and I get it done well, just like my laundry. I sort my laundry and never will you find a stain, even on 10 year old clothing. I eat high fat and I eat low-fat foods, and have many food threads on this forum that cover many needs. Sometimes I need fats and sometimes I don’t. What I am eating presently is different than what I was eating 6 months ago, and may be different 6 months from now. Presently I am not eating to lose weight, as I have achieved my fat loss goal, so I get to enjoy more fats nowadays than I did months ago. People on keto and low carb diets only address weight loss, Ray Peat addresses thyroid, hormones, anti-aging and healing.

Because we are not meant to cook.

Raw milk
Raw cheese
Raw butter
Raw eggs

don't require cooking, are delicious and nutritious.

RollingStone

Because we are not meant to cook.

Raw milk
Raw cheese
Raw butter
Raw eggs

don't require cooking, are delicious and nutritious.

Sure, but plant foods are different. Cooking plant foods makes digestion easier and can lower the amount of antinutrients.

RollingStone

While also lowering the amount of nutrients. So what’s the point of eating cooked plants?

There probably usually isn't a point, but if you are going to eat them, then you should generally minimize how rough they are on your system by cooking them.

Matestube

Sure, but plant foods are different. Cooking plant foods makes digestion easier and can lower the amount of antinutrients.
Then why eat plants in the first place if they have anti nutrients ? That should be our first clue they are not meant to be eaten.
I haven't eaten plants in 2 years and don't have any deficiency in anything.

RollingStone

People on keto and low carb diets only address weight loss, Ray Peat addresses thyroid, hormones, anti-aging and healing.
Keto and low carb diets do a lot more than address weight loss. People like myself who have never been even slightly overweight at any point in their life can still see huge benefits from dropping sugar and carbs.

P

pineywoodrooter

Keto and low carb diets do a lot more than address weight loss. People like myself who have never been even slightly overweight at any point in their life can still see huge benefits from dropping sugar and carbs.

Did the keto help any with digestion?

I'm about to try carnivore I guess. No carbs aside from fruit juice digest for me, but drinking fruit juice sends me on an annoying blood sugar roller coaster. It's not feasible.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals