Why is my instinct anti-carb (and even anti-peat ?) ?

OP
DDRB

DDRB

Okay, so why not just do a liter of orange juice a day for your carbs? And then, hit your favorite protein and fat based foods for the rest of your calories? That would be mostly in line with what people are doing in the no starch diet thread-

A lot of people (myself included) have found that diet to be particularly satisfying. I usually fry up a potato once a week in Hydrogenated Coconut Oil for French Fries, but I'm mostly following that style of diet at the moment.
ty, i will take a look

are you sure you are completely honest about this? what does your diet look like?

Honest with myself? I am very happy with what I am eating nowadays and it looks like this….

Attachments

• 57D24DA3-B178-4270-8402-56DCA5C15230.jpeg
    57D24DA3-B178-4270-8402-56DCA5C15230.jpeg
    407.7 KB · Views: 56
  • 31646A36-CF0F-465C-BB1F-2B9682475F81.jpeg
    31646A36-CF0F-465C-BB1F-2B9682475F81.jpeg
    385.7 KB · Views: 51
  • 70694691-024E-4382-80C2-E652364BB4C8.jpeg
    70694691-024E-4382-80C2-E652364BB4C8.jpeg
    388.6 KB · Views: 53
  • BB55E52B-98BA-4EDC-BC45-D12DB38B49EE.jpeg
    BB55E52B-98BA-4EDC-BC45-D12DB38B49EE.jpeg
    320.4 KB · Views: 48
  • 8E54FF6B-9FDE-4263-9BFE-39E5225FC193.jpeg
    8E54FF6B-9FDE-4263-9BFE-39E5225FC193.jpeg
    417.8 KB · Views: 47
  • B1605371-31F3-43C1-84A6-041B9B7D6298.jpeg
    B1605371-31F3-43C1-84A6-041B9B7D6298.jpeg
    531.9 KB · Views: 47
  • 8A0052AC-87D2-4681-8988-D55FB7353A1D.jpeg
    8A0052AC-87D2-4681-8988-D55FB7353A1D.jpeg
    383.9 KB · Views: 50
  • 4651DCE7-AA2B-45E6-92EF-FF5282957A72.jpeg
    4651DCE7-AA2B-45E6-92EF-FF5282957A72.jpeg
    490.3 KB · Views: 46
  • F6F3FD27-2FCC-4E9A-A182-9288D2A01542.jpeg
    F6F3FD27-2FCC-4E9A-A182-9288D2A01542.jpeg
    880.6 KB · Views: 49
  • FF72F1DA-9028-4833-BA05-D58DCCA76CDD.jpeg
    FF72F1DA-9028-4833-BA05-D58DCCA76CDD.jpeg
    352.4 KB · Views: 58

Herbie

@DDRB I came from doing carnivore and nuts before it was a thing, Ive been experimenting with Peats ideas for 6 years and used to crave fat like you but it's gone away but took more 5 years for the insatiable fat cravings to stop. I'm not sure why.

@DDRB I came from doing carnivore and nuts before it was a thing, Ive been experimenting with Peats ideas for 6 years and used to crave fat like you but it's gone away but took more 5 years for the insatiable fat cravings to stop. I'm not sure why.
Me too! I have been “Peating” for six years now and only the last year did I quit craving meat and fats. It might be because I upped my milk quite a bit and the fats there may be giving my body what it needs.

aniciete

Me too! I have been “Peating” for six years now and only the last year did I quit craving meat and fats. It might be because I upped my milk quite a bit and the fats there may be giving my body what it needs.
Why would no longer have meat cravings be a good thing?

Why would no longer have meat cravings be a good thing?
Because I am trying to follow Ray Peat’s advice and keep iron, tryptophan and methionine low and up my calcium. There is no way I could get all the calcium that I need at my age eating meat at every meal. I would be so fat. I don’t have ANY cravings anymore, which is a good thing for me. Now I can focus on life and not food all day.

Last edited:

Jonk

I am almost never hungry, ever and has forced myself to eat and therefore gained some weight around the midsection, which I've never had before. Starting to realize that I need to take better care of my digestion and that it is very much linked to my years of back pain. We should listen to our bodies, and we can get ourselves in trouble by neglecting physiological queues like these. Maybe your body is very inefficient in using sugar and that's why your not craving it. I would still try to nudge the diet into some sugars but be gentle and attentive - two attributes I much often lack haha :D

I am pretty satisfied after having my usual breakfast of my homemade, no cream or egg yolks, ice cream with fresh blueberries and the zest of one oranges. Sure beats sour lactic acid laden yogurt :)

Attachments

• C690E859-5BB4-4533-B6E3-966992445A85.jpeg
    C690E859-5BB4-4533-B6E3-966992445A85.jpeg
    549.4 KB · Views: 33

Jessie

One of the major issues is social conditioning. We're taught at a very young age that sugar is "bad" for us. Anyone under 25 right now that's even more so, because the anti-sugar cult has grown considerably in the past twenty years.

Another reason, to put it simply, dietary fats can in fact be addicting. Very much so actually. Pound for pound, I prefer the taste of a nice fatty steak over coffee, milk, and sugar any day. One of the reasons why people follow low-carb diets is because it's so easy to follow them, lol.

You can also eat a lot of fat and still have a good metabolism, especially younger people. People rarely (if ever) associate lifestyle choices properly anymore. Bad diets aren't like personal hygiene deficiencies, they don't affect you immediately. Rather, you start paying for the choices you make now 20 years from now. In that light, it makes perfect since why someone can eat high-fat diets when they're young and not reap the consequences. Try sticking with it until your 35.

Lastly, there is health(ier) fats out here. Someone with good insulin sensitivity and thyroid shouldn't have a problem mixing carbs with saturated and monounsaurated fats. I think Peat mentioned one time that the "ideal" ratio of carbs/protein/fat is 33/33/33.

One of the major issues is social conditioning. We're taught at a very young age that sugar is "bad" for us. Anyone under 25 right now that's even more so, because the anti-sugar cult has grown considerably in the past twenty years.

Another reason, to put it simply, dietary fats can in fact be addicting. Very much so actually. Pound for pound, I prefer the taste of a nice fatty steak over coffee, milk, and sugar any day. One of the reasons why people follow low-carb diets is because it's so easy to follow them, lol.

You can also eat a lot of fat and still have a good metabolism, especially younger people. People rarely (if ever) associate lifestyle choices properly anymore. Bad diets aren't like personal hygiene deficiencies, they don't affect you immediately. Rather, you start paying for the choices you make now 20 years from now. In that light, it makes perfect since why someone can eat high-fat diets when they're young and not reap the consequences. Try sticking with it until your 35.

Lastly, there is health(ier) fats out here. Someone with good insulin sensitivity and thyroid shouldn't have a problem mixing carbs with saturated and monounsaurated fats. I think Peat mentioned one time that the "ideal" ratio of carbs/protein/fat is 33/33/33.
I was on meat since my 30’s and 23 years later I switched to Ray Peat’s advice and 6 years later, I have never been healthier in my life. I am sticking to it all right. The problem is people eat their normal fatty diet and then try to add in a bunch of sugar. There is where all the weight gain comes from. Meat plus ice cream equals tubby, pick one or other.

"People on a standard diet will typically burn 200 or 300 more calories per day when that amount of sugar is added to their diet; but if extra fat is added, too, some of the extra calories are likely to be deposited as fat.”
-Ray Peat

GreekDemiGod

Because I am trying to follow Ray Peat’s advice and keep iron, tryptophan and methionine low and up my calcium. There is no way I could get all the calcium that I need at my age eating meat at every meal. I would be so fat. I don’t have ANY cravings anymore, which is a good thing for me. Now I can focus on life and not food all day.
I've been recently reading that good meat, with added salt is a good way to build up your stomach acid, and that too high carb diets tend to cause low stomach acid.

GreekDemiGod

I think Peat mentioned one time that the "ideal" ratio of carbs/protein/fat is 33/33/33.
Yeah. Seems to me that Haidut is the one pushing higher carbs, and Peat agrees with higher SFA in diet, up to 50% as I remember from an older quote of him.

I've been recently reading that good meat, with added salt is a good way to build up your stomach acid, and that too high carb diets tend to cause low stomach acid.
I am an O blood type so my stomach acids are hearty. I don’t have the typical digestive issues that I use to have, and that most people have at my age. Everyone around me has acid reflux or some other digestive issue. I think the big saving grace eating a Ray Peat inspired diet is that I DON’T drink mostly liquids. I eat my foods instead. I didn’t feel good on lots of liquids.

Q: I have no control over oils when eating out. What can I do to offset the harmful effects of polyunsaturated oils?

“A small amount of these oils won't kill you. It is the proportion of them in your diet that matters. A little extra vitamin E (such as 100 units per day) will take care of an occasional American restaurant meal. Based on animal studies, it would take a teaspoonful per day of corn or soy oil added to a fat-free diet to significantly increase our risk of cancer. Unfortunately, it is impossible to devise a fat-free diet outside of a laboratory. Vegetables, grains, nuts, fish and meats all naturally contain large amounts of these oils, and the extra oil used in cooking becomes a more serious problem.” -Ray Peat

“During aging, our tissues tend to store an excess of iron. There is a remarkably close association between the amount of iron stored in our tissues and the risk of death from cancer, heart disease, or from all causes. This relationship between iron and death rate exists even during childhood, but the curve is downward until the age of 12, and then it rises steadily until death. The shape of this curve, representing the iron burden, is amazingly similar to the curves representing the rate of death in general, and the rate of death from cancer. There is no other relationship in biology that I know of that has this peculiar shape, with its minimum at the age of 12, and its maximum in old age at the time of death.“ -Ray Peat

GreekDemiGod

The problem is people eat their normal fatty diet and then try to add in a bunch of sugar
True, given that on this combination, caloric intake will usually be highest. People are just gluttons, especially the ones eating junk food. Emotional eating is another cause.
From my observations, there are times where eating generous amounts of SFA has its place and is healing:

High SFA + moderate carbs(100-150g) can also work really great, it seems. It's also likely better for dental health.
From my experience, when I switch to eating higher SFAs, my carb cravings reduce, and the sugar/ fruits taste much, much better on this diet when I treat them as dessert, and not the staple.

True, given that on this combination, caloric intake will usually be highest. People are just gluttons, especially the ones eating junk food. Emotional eating is another cause.
From my observations, there are times where eating generous amounts of SFA has its place and is healing:

High SFA + moderate carbs(100-150g) can also work really great, it seems. It's also likely better for dental health.
From my experience, when I switch to eating higher SFAs, my carb cravings reduce, and the sugar/ fruits taste much, much better on this diet when I treat them as dessert, and not the staple.
I know what you mean, I can’t eat a lot of fruit either. When I do get to eating a perfect watermelon or fresh sweet orange juice, I always wonder why I don’t have it more often, but I don’t crave it.

OP
DDRB

DDRB

Honest with myself? I am very happy with what I am eating nowadays and it looks like this….
You seem to be a good cook :) But that's the problem, just like we can't say that a person who is only beautiful when she's well dressed and well-groomed is really beautiful, I don't think you can say that a high to very high carbohydrate diet is pleasant if you have a particular need to cook.
In addition, your dishes seem quite balanced at the macronutrient level and finally quite rich in fat, my point was the very high carbohydrate diets like the Mcdougal diets.

OP
DDRB

DDRB

Have you checked your ferritin?