Why Is It So Easy For Teeth To Become Yellow, But So Hard For Them To Become White?

Repas du soir

I've always had pretty nice teeth, but after eating a lot of chocolate and drinking coffee, I've noticed they've become more yellow than I would have liked. I'm pretty good with my oral hygiene, and rinse my mouth out with water after eating.

I've become kind of depressed because there doesn't seem to be a reliable way to whiten teeth naturally without damaging them in some way :(

tankasnowgod

Some on the infamous vitamin a thread notice white teeth, likely due to a reduction of beta carotene and other carotenoids

Logan-

I am surprised more people haven’t complained about this here, since I think a diet high in sugar and coffee would cause this problem in most of its followers.

golder

Kuinone has a spectacular effect on my teeth.
Thanks for this. Are you referring to colour/texture/feel? Do you specifically use it orally as a mouthwash, or are these effect just systemic from regular oral use?

GreekDemiGod

@James b I just applied it a few times on my gums and once rinsing the teeth. After reading some member's report.
Noticed a striking whiter tone than what I remember.

Metabawlic

I have an ebook on this - I'll share it for free if you dm me.

The short is it doesn't matter what you consume - daily coconut oil pulling for at least 5 minutes will keep your teeth pristine and make them look spectacular without appearing artificially bleached.

For context, I consume 10-12 cups of coffee and a 1/4 bar of chocolate daily and *might* brush once at nighttime. I get complemented at least weekly on my teeth. You have to maintain the habit for months for best results, but you'll notice changes in a week or two.

Logan-

The short is it doesn't matter what you consume - daily coconut oil pulling for at least 5 minutes will keep your teeth pristine and make them look spectacular without appearing artificially bleached.

For context, I consume 10-12 cups of coffee and a 1/4 bar of chocolate daily and *might* brush once at nighttime. I get complemented at least weekly on my teeth. You have to maintain the habit for months for best results, but you'll notice changes in a week or two.
How much coconut oil do you put in your mouth for oil pulling?

Do you spit after 5 minutes, or swallow it?

Is the oil deodorized?

Bogdar

What is this sorcellery ?
What is the explaination for just oil to whiten teeth ?

Metabawlic

What is this sorcellery ?
What is the explaination for just oil to whiten teeth ?
You look online and there's so many sources telling you coconut oil doesn't whiten and so on...

Yet myself and several friends enjoy whiter teeth now. It likely stems from its powerful ability to remove stains. Turns out when you remove all the staining elements on your teeth, they are naturally very white!

Progress888

I came here to say this!

???

Would be interested in reading the e book as well though!

But I myself have been oil pulling with coconut now for many years and have been drinking coffee and smoking insane amounts of cannabis during that time period and my teeth are crystal white and get compliments on them all the time.

I recently cut out coffee and they are getting even whiter since cutting that out but even while drinking coffee as long as i stick to my daily routine of swishing coconut oil around for like 10 minutes or while I prepare food then it’s like they stay crystal clear. Not just the teeth but the gums too. It’s like it makes smiling feels easier and more welcomed to do as you can feel how squeaky clean the inside of your mouth is.

It depends on the type of yellowing we are talking about..if it's just surface level stains from coffee etc then you can just use a more abrasive toothpaste once a week and hydrogen peroxide. If your actual dentin is yellow though from unchecked plaque left on the teeth too long then very few things short of a professional bleaching with high strength hydrogen peroxide left in contact with the teeth for a while will make the slightest bit of difference in the colour of your teeth.

I don't buy at all that coconut oil can whiten teeth in the latter case

There's a couple of studies showing enzymes like papain and bromelain MAY reverse the oxidation eventually, but i've seen nothing conclusive yet and most of the studies are on extracted teeth