Why Is Everyone Suddenly Bipolar?

Xisca

Absolutely, but diet can always help, same as breathing methods can help.
For me, the relieve of the nervous system is central, with a direct method doing it as its main goal.
And even if the stress is less than such an attack as you mention!
Proportions are very relative.
Knowledge/cognitive is cortex, emotional therapy is at limbic level, and somatic experiencing is at the reptilian level, the sympathic system. The oldest brain is the leader.

Greg says

This is from some notes on cPTSD I found...Complex PTSD is believed to be more common, more serious and harder to treat and more undiagnosed than PTSD. PTSD has a much better treatment rate. cPTSD is not even officially recognised by the mainstream, DSM etc. I think a lot of people with mental issues have cPTSD and have been incorrectly diagnosed as it has a broad symptom range. Bipolar has numerous causes. Diet/hypo-thyroid may be a contributing and/or a causative factor (?)

I read about a woman in New York who was painting her house by herself for a few weeks and ended up sectioned at Bellevue Psychiatric Hospital. She was diagnosed with schizophrenia. It turned out it was the paint fumes over burdening her liver which created a cascade of issues. Within a couple weeks of treatment she was totally back to normal. I can't remember but I think she had massive B vit deficiencies.

'Are there undiagnosed cases of hypo-thyroidism in mental institutions? One hopes not, but possibly there might be. In 1949, a study in Britain indicated that such cases were frequent there and that many, once their thyroid deficiency was recognized and treated, could go home.' -Broda Barnes, MD, PhD

Screen Shot 2016-04-16 at 22.21.23.png

'The brain is fed from the bottom to the top and from the back to the front. Fuelled by oxygen and glucose from food. If the lizard and the monkey are getting all the fuel the human gets starved. It cannot think about the future. There is an inability to get any traction. It is as if a part of your brain is missing. You cannot interact with the world in a totally conscious state. You are on constant alert, ready for action, a hyper-vigilant state; an incessant, on-guard scanning of both the real environment and, most especially, the imagined upcoming environment.

Thinking becomes like a car stuck in mud. The will to move forward is there but the harder you try the more you become stuck. This way of thinking creates further hopelessness and helplessness because you have tried many times to move forward but now you “know” it is useless. Not forward moving or assertive. The ability to move forward has been damaged.

The way the brain should function has become unbalanced in victims of trauma. Instead of operating out of the human pre-frontal cortex, trauma victims tend to use the the reptilian or reactive part of the brain more without having the normal connection with the rational part of the brain. This is due to our brain’s effort to increase of chances of survival. This part of the brain is about survival not thriving. Overtime with this use the hippocampus shrinks and atrophies.

This causes the amygdala to fire causing emotional flashbacks. There is NO frontal lobe activation. The person with cPTSD is on auto-pilot, just drifting through. They appear emotionless. This is because the monkeys fuel tank is so low it cannot regulate emotions.

People with cPTSD will get personality disturbances. This is why Borderline Personality Disorder and Bipolar can be mistaken for cPTSD. Personality disturbances include; irritability, aggression, hard to be around, hair trigger rage, can’t look people in the eyes, they become easily emotionally dysregulated.'

postman

SSRI's directly cause bipolar disorder, barely anyone got diagnosed with this before SSRI's hit the market.

rmgwm

Great topic. I have said this often to my wife and friends that I believe almost everyone is suffering from low energy, low motivation, some sort of depression, as well as other issues. The problem is who wants to admit such a thing? You can't just ask someone if they are depressed and low on energy and have them respond honestly, their reflex response will be "no".

The thing for me is this: I can see it when I go out to bars and in public. Almost everyone seems sluggish and apathetic, it's simply not like it used to be. I have some friends who seem to be higher energy and great motivation and upon probing with questions tactfully I almost always find out they are on some sort of drug like Adderal or anti-depressants. People as a whole have been downgraded in some form or fashion. I don't believe it's as simple as just "diet and exercise" because I have an when immaculate diet and exercise often and yet still feel low energy yet all my blood-work and tests show I'm healthy as an ox. I actually think "diet and exercise" is an excuse people give to themselves because they don't want to believe they have a deeper issue. I've even gone as far as to ask friends and family to take their temperature around noon time to see what it is, almost every single person is in the 97's (usually 97.9 or 97.3) and at best 98.3, almost nobody is at the correct body temperature of 98.6. What does this mean? Low grade infection? Hypothyroidism? It's anyone's guess.

This is an epidemic that nobody is talking about because it's embarrassing to admit you might be a slow, dumb, tired animal; I feel like part of solving the problem is for people to discuss it openly so they realize they're not alone, although I suspect some people are slow and tired and don't realize it.

Greg says

Great topic. I have said this often to my wife and friends that I believe almost everyone is suffering from low energy, low motivation, some sort of depression, as well as other issues. The problem is who wants to admit such a thing? You can't just ask someone if they are depressed and low on energy and have them respond honestly, their reflex response will be "no".

The thing for me is this: I can see it when I go out to bars and in public. Almost everyone seems sluggish and apathetic, it's simply not like it used to be. I have some friends who seem to be higher energy and great motivation and upon probing with questions tactfully I almost always find out they are on some sort of drug like Adderal or anti-depressants. People as a whole have been downgraded in some form or fashion. I don't believe it's as simple as just "diet and exercise" because I have an when immaculate diet and exercise often and yet still feel low energy yet all my blood-work and tests show I'm healthy as an ox. I actually think "diet and exercise" is an excuse people give to themselves because they don't want to believe they have a deeper issue. I've even gone as far as to ask friends and family to take their temperature around noon time to see what it is, almost every single person is in the 97's (usually 97.9 or 97.3) and at best 98.3, almost nobody is at the correct body temperature of 98.6. What does this mean? Low grade infection? Hypothyroidism? It's anyone's guess.

This is an epidemic that nobody is talking about because it's embarrassing to admit you might be a slow, dumb, tired animal; I feel like part of solving the problem is for people to discuss it openly so they realize they're not alone, although I suspect some people are slow and tired and don't realize it.

Agree ^

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I've even gone as far as to ask friends and family to take their temperature around noon time to see what it is, almost every single person is in the 97's (usually 97.9 or 97.3) and at best 98.3, almost nobody is at the correct body temperature of 98.6. What does this mean? Low grade infection? Hypothyroidism? It's anyone's guess.
The cumulative effect of pufa perhaps?

Simonsays

People as a whole have been downgraded in some form or fashion. I don't believe it's as simple as just "diet and exercise" because I have an when immaculate diet and exercise often and yet still feel low energy yet all my blood-work and tests show I'm healthy as an ox. I actually think "diet and exercise" is an excuse people give to themselves because they don't want to believe they have a deeper issue

Totally agree.

I think a lot of people who "come to" Peat, obviously have physical/metabolic/diet issues, but some may not want to admit they may have deeper psychological issues, that prefigure their decline in physical health. The diet/exercise option as an answer to everything, is something attractive, as it doesnt require painful introspection/proper insight and for which there arent simple answers, as stop doing this, start doing that and you will see positive results!

I come from a dysfunctional family and i have a disordered personality, however painful this is to admit, but am 51 and believe i now have a fair degree of insight into my personality. But no one else in my family would admit it about themselves, its easier not to and blame their problems on their partners/children/employers/friends/life etc,etc.

I developed hypothyroidism in my 20s i believe, as a result of chronic emotional stress, no doubt diet played its part. The origins of this stress was a traumatic highly stressed childhood. A form of PTSD and i believe a raised base level of cortisol.

I am friends with a guy in his mid 40s who had a breakdown in his early 20s and was diagnosed hypo in his early 30s. His mother was bi-polar.

I dont think the two are unrelated.

He is of the opinion that dysfunctional hormones cause the mental/psychological problems, not the other way round. He is a Peatist of sorts.

Neither of us believe they were caused by poor diet, but of course better diet helps.

There are many, many high functioning borderline/sociopath/narcissists/psychopaths in positions of power and influence. (Most psychopaths arent serial killers, but more likely to be politicians/CEOSs). They dont see themselves as having a problem.

Greg says

Totally agree.

The origins of this stress was a traumatic highly stressed childhood. A form of PTSD and i believe a raised base level of cortisol.

Agree ^

Adverse childhood experiences exponentially increase not only the risk of addiction, but cancer, mental health issues, heart disease, EDs, suicide and early death. There is a real connection between our childhood and how that impacts our adult behaviours.

'Stress early in life can impair learning, cause aggressive or compulsive behavior, learned helplessness, shyness, alcoholism, and other problems.' - RP

HPA axis dysregulation caused by living in a state of survival. Repetitive rigid thoughts, stuck in a state of arousal. The child adapts to the constant state of threat by partly shutting down and disassociating. The child goes through the motions of life and doesn't have an appropriate respond to threat. These children then become a target for predators in adult life. I have experienced this. I have a people pleaser tendencies (or porous ego boundaries) and I worked for a predatory narcissist and I had no idea he was bullying me until it was pointed out to me. Its like a faulty alarm system in a house. The alarm is going off all the time. When this happens the alarm isn't an alarm anymore notifying you of danger. Same applies to women that have been abused by their partners. It's been shown that they have a high chance of ending up in another abusive relationship.

Stressful state as a child whilst eating a poor diet. This creates a biological problem and a psychological problem. I agree many people have personality disorders. I believe caused by complex PTSD. It's better to call it Post Traumatic Stress Response, it's not a disorder, its a natural response to adverse childhood abuse. I think it is learnt behaviour and can be un-learnt. Also terms like 'melt down' or 'nervous breakdown' are not helpful. This western medical mechanistic view divides the mind from the body and the mind/ body from the environment (I think Gabor Mate said that). People are emotionally injured. There is a lot of trauma out there but we still don't want to talk about it. We would rather just deal with diet and exercise.

An example of this is Stephen Fry. He has said he was buggered at school by other boys and teachers. This is institutionalised violence and trauma. He recently said that it didn't do him any harm and 'toughens you up'. I beg to differ. He is bi-polar.

Our society rewards people for being competitive psychopaths. If you are 'sensitive' you will suffer. '
The mentally unstable thrive on this planet, it’s the mentally sound who struggle!'

I like RP's take on trauma, its very hopeful compared to the mainstream opinion (you are disordered, therefore broken).

Q - "So if someone has experienced a child trauma but also had thyroid problems, could the healing of the thyroid heal the emotional trauma all at once? Or would the person still have to do the work of getting in touch with their feelings about it? I do think feelings are like energy, they can't be stuffed. Could the increased energy from the thyroid bypass the need for direct emotional healing and coming to terms with all the fears and blind spots created by the emotional trauma?"

A - "Yes, no, yes. Nothing is stored, it's like the pasts are all present in the same room, and we periodically have a different perspective on them. When the present balance of stuff, toxicants, euphoriants, etc., is good, you can think and feel what you want to about things." —RP

Simonsays

I do hope Rays right about repair, emotional repair of trauma i think is lifelong.

Greg, have you read "They f**k you up, How to survive Family Life" by Oliver James , i cant recommend it enough. Although the use of celebrities is obviously a tool to attract readers (although Peaches Geldof death was no surprise when you read about her mother and grandmother) , i dont think it detracts too much.

I recognised so many people in it, it took a time to see myself. Attachment theory was an eye opener, with my subsequent wobbler attachment confirmed in my relationships!!

Stephen Fry reacts just like a personality disordered person, one minute theres clarity and insight , the next theres denial and suppression, flipping no doubt according to his mood state.

Its very similar to the opening of "They f**k you up" where James quotes a young Mia Farrow, who with remarkable insight bemoaned who her own upbringing in a large family (she was one of 7), saying understandably, there wasnt enough love to go round. Then she goes on to be a mother of 12!!

I too have people pleaser traits! so i can totally relate, along with narcissistic and borderline. People pleasing is often a narcissistic trait

Shari Schreiber and Sam Vankin i find are very insightful.

How often have you heard yourself say, "I'm a giver, not a taker"? Have you experienced any discomfort when receiving something from another~ whether it's a gift, a compliment or a kind gesture? Have you ever known what it feels like to be in a reciprocal relationship? If these questions trigger memories of awkward, familiar sensations, it means you were programmed as a small child to believe that receiving vital supplies of attention, affection and emotional support came at a substantial cost to your parent(s). Very young, you learned to accommodate and normalize these bad feelings, and began putting others' feelings and needs far ahead of your own, because doing otherwise meant you'd have to endure sensations of guilt or shame.

You might identify yourself as a 'rescuer type' personality, but you were not born with this trait. It was cultivated in you from an early age, and it's directly due to faulty relationship dynamics with an impaired parent (or two).

Were you raised in a home where everything you did was closely monitored or controlled? Did you grow up feeling as if you had to be perfect, to please your mother or father? What was the cost to you, if (God forbid) you ever failed to perform perfectly? Might you have feared the loss of their affection, approval or love?

Greg says

I do hope Rays right about repair, emotional repair of trauma i think is lifelong.

Greg, have you read "They f**k you up, How to survive Family Life" by Oliver James , i cant recommend it enough. Although the use of celebrities is obviously a tool to attract readers (although Peaches Geldof death was no surprise when you read about her mother and grandmother) , i dont think it detracts too much.

Shari Schreiber and Sam Vankin i find are very insightful.

No, I bought it for my sister for Christmas once, with the idea of reading it myself. I will track it down.

I have watched some interviews with Sam Vankin. I watched one recently and the interviewer was a psychologist who talked about how dangerous narcissist are to be around. He said he really liked Sam, but treated him like Hannibal Lecture; no touching or getting too close.

I am really starting to question my 'good nature'...

Some key features of People Pleaser syndrome...[from Psychologist Richard Grannon].

1. Emotphobia (not emetophobia) - Fear of negative emotions in yourself and other people. Not wanting to disappoint people.
2. Naïveté - not seeing reality as it presents itself.
3. Desire to be loved - desperate desire for attention whether good or bad.
4. Inability to say NO
5. External Locus of Control
6. Excessive Conscientiousness
7. Lacking proper boundaries - Blurry sense of self. Putting yourself in other people's shoes. Vampire type people can see this and will suck your blood.
8. Emotionally Dependent/Co-dependent
9. Low self worth
10. Over intellectualisation/rationalising away wrong doing
11. Addicted to approval
12. Immature - Adult children. Locked into a certain phase of your life (like Michael Jackson).
13. Excessive unfettered altruism/philanthropy - Always wanting to help people.
14. Self Isolated
15. Impressionable

Simonsays

Hi Greg,

I can relate to some of the points, but not all. I think the list overlaps a few conditions.

It sounds a lot like dependant /clinger insecure attachment.

I am really starting to question my 'good nature'...

The quote i posted was from Shari Schreiber (she has an Internet site). When i started to read her site, some ot it really was close to the bone, adding to all the other stuff i had absorbed over the years and no doubt age has helped. More and more about my personality is being revealed. It was a shock and painful for me, but the positive is at least im no longer in denial! Well up to a point!

The inability to see ourselves honestly warts and all, of course is pure narcissism, as we want to have a positive image of ourselves reflected back to us, not criticism. Sometimes family/friends/colleagues etc can point things out, that really jolt us, if we are prepared/secure enough to take it on board.

The most obvious trait and that so many suffer from, is an insecure self obsession, a lack of emotional maturity. This is the core of all personality disorders, basically you were never able to grow up, you are stunted, stuck as a toddler, but hidden behind an adult veneer.

Luann

On the unsaturated fats, it seems like Ray talks about organisms that can't grow or react in good ways to trauma and conditions. I'm not trying to explain away any of the concepts in this thread, they're very thoughtful and well-said. That was just what came into my mind.

Brother John

Absolutely, but diet can always help, same as breathing methods can help.
For me, the relieve of the nervous system is central, with a direct method doing it as its main goal.
And even if the stress is less than such an attack as you mention!
Proportions are very relative.
Knowledge/cognitive is cortex, emotional therapy is at limbic level, and somatic experiencing is at the reptilian level, the sympathic system. The oldest brain is the leader.
Xisco, I'm glad you are writing these posts Xisco! Great information and a great way of looking at such issues.
Thanks, Brother John

x-ray peat

lots of reasons but I think one not mentioned is the ridiculous way we coddle our students so that they can be free of any microaggressions and be secure in their safe spaces. Once in the real world. they can't seem to handle any adversity or disagreement and will fly off into a bipolar rage at the slightest provocation.

Last edited:

sladerunner69

Omg. Everyone's bipolar now. It's the diagnostic norm now. Wtf? Is there a Peaty explanation?

High stress hormones. The cascade begins with high estrogen and cortisol, over time that degrades the preferred glycolysis cycle. After years and years of poor diet and environmental factors, and sitting down all day at a desk snacking on vegetable oil snacks, adrenaline begins to take over. Peat has stated that most people are hugely dependent on adrenaline because of their insulin resistance, ketogenisis, FFA overload ( mitochondrial dysfunction )

this combination of being in a poor state of health (high estrogen and cortisol), and always being on edge and ready to take off in anger (adrenaline) but being sedated and slightly depressed (high serotonin) to me demonstrated the so called "bi polarities" of this "mental health" disease that is really just the psychological effects of generally poor health.

amethyst

"Everyone suddenly bipolar" is, I feel, a combination of our heavily chemical-ized (if that's a word) society. Or the tendency to reach for a drug or chemical to sooth us rather than looking at the root of the issues and what caused them. Depressed? Take an antidepressant happy pill. Have a crazy family (parents out of control) which produces out of control children? Send the out of control little boogers to a austerity boot camp to get that waywardness knocked out of them. Seems we want quick fixes and happy pills instead of dealing with the root causes of why things may be dysfunctional on one's life.
But wait. What did they do during the depression when there was little money, few jobs and little food? Did people suddenly develop a "bipolar" disorder due to the dire circumstances? Or did they just try to accept what they could, improve their circumstances by working hard and helping out their neighbor?

Regina

Agree!

Regina

Agree ^

Adverse childhood experiences exponentially increase not only the risk of addiction, but cancer, mental health issues, heart disease, EDs, suicide and early death. There is a real connection between our childhood and how that impacts our adult behaviours.

'Stress early in life can impair learning, cause aggressive or compulsive behavior, learned helplessness, shyness, alcoholism, and other problems.' - RP

HPA axis dysregulation caused by living in a state of survival. Repetitive rigid thoughts, stuck in a state of arousal. The child adapts to the constant state of threat by partly shutting down and disassociating. The child goes through the motions of life and doesn't have an appropriate respond to threat. These children then become a target for predators in adult life. I have experienced this. I have a people pleaser tendencies (or porous ego boundaries) and I worked for a predatory narcissist and I had no idea he was bullying me until it was pointed out to me. Its like a faulty alarm system in a house. The alarm is going off all the time. When this happens the alarm isn't an alarm anymore notifying you of danger. Same applies to women that have been abused by their partners. It's been shown that they have a high chance of ending up in another abusive relationship.

Stressful state as a child whilst eating a poor diet. This creates a biological problem and a psychological problem. I agree many people have personality disorders. I believe caused by complex PTSD. It's better to call it Post Traumatic Stress Response, it's not a disorder, its a natural response to adverse childhood abuse. I think it is learnt behaviour and can be un-learnt. Also terms like 'melt down' or 'nervous breakdown' are not helpful. This western medical mechanistic view divides the mind from the body and the mind/ body from the environment (I think Gabor Mate said that). People are emotionally injured. There is a lot of trauma out there but we still don't want to talk about it. We would rather just deal with diet and exercise.

An example of this is Stephen Fry. He has said he was buggered at school by other boys and teachers. This is institutionalised violence and trauma. He recently said that it didn't do him any harm and 'toughens you up'. I beg to differ. He is bi-polar.

Our society rewards people for being competitive psychopaths. If you are 'sensitive' you will suffer. '
The mentally unstable thrive on this planet, it’s the mentally sound who struggle!'

I like RP's take on trauma, its very hopeful compared to the mainstream opinion (you are disordered, therefore broken).

Q - "So if someone has experienced a child trauma but also had thyroid problems, could the healing of the thyroid heal the emotional trauma all at once? Or would the person still have to do the work of getting in touch with their feelings about it? I do think feelings are like energy, they can't be stuffed. Could the increased energy from the thyroid bypass the need for direct emotional healing and coming to terms with all the fears and blind spots created by the emotional trauma?"

A - "Yes, no, yes. Nothing is stored, it's like the pasts are all present in the same room, and we periodically have a different perspective on them. When the present balance of stuff, toxicants, euphoriants, etc., is good, you can think and feel what you want to about things." —RP
Hi Greg,

I can also relate to your experience. I've been the "super-empath" a couple of times in relationships with narcissists. I think it is far more likely for the empath to heal and recover. Because the narcissist sure doesn't think they have a problem. Unfortunately, my awareness of my own traits had to increase substantially when I became ensnared by a Narcissistic Sociopath. Two of them. First was not an intimate partner. Thank God. But I still had to move and go "No Contact" to survive it. But the 2nd was a painful relationship. I had read Vaknin's Malignant Narcisstic when trying to figure out the first person. But the dynamic was so different, I just didn't see the red flags. However, I escaped much sooner than I probably would have. A quick way to develop anti-bodies ;-) to them is reading HG Tudor.
Knowing the Narcissist
He's a self-described narcissistic sociopath. I believe him. He writes about 5 articles a day. This crap is coming out of his own breathtakingly warped mind.

So, I want to believe all mental health problems can be resolved through hormonal balance (etc.), but I have reservations saying that about psychopaths/sociopaths. The intensity of their scheming, planning and machinations requires ludicrous amount of energy and fortitude to be malevolent. I do think that overtime all this nattering in their conscious scheming minds and the sheer mal-everything (maladaption/malice/malevolence) will certainly leaving them physically dysregulated to say the least.

There is nothing about reading HG Tudor that makes me swing to the dark side. Sometimes, I just like to refresh my antibodies and read a few of his twisted articles.

I still tend toward empathic and I like that fine. But I am much quicker to scoot if I get signs that my tender heart is being stepped on. I move on quickly.

postman

Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors directly cause bipolar disorder. Look at the diagnostic rate before this class of drug hit the market.

Regina

High stress hormones. The cascade begins with high estrogen and cortisol, over time that degrades the preferred glycolysis cycle. After years and years of poor diet and environmental factors, and sitting down all day at a desk snacking on vegetable oil snacks, adrenaline begins to take over. Peat has stated that most people are hugely dependent on adrenaline because of their insulin resistance, ketogenisis, FFA overload ( mitochondrial dysfunction )

this combination of being in a poor state of health (high estrogen and cortisol), and always being on edge and ready to take off in anger (adrenaline) but being sedated and slightly depressed (high serotonin) to me demonstrated the so called "bi polarities" of this "mental health" disease that is really just the psychological effects of generally poor health.
Yes. This is probably the case for many.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals