Why Is Adrenalin Bad?

J

James IV

Hello all. I'll get straight to the point. I can't figure out why adrenaline is bad?
I know ray says it causes insulin resistance, but I don't understand how?
The key actions of adrenaline I have found include: increasing the heart rate, increasing blood pressure, expanding the air passages of the lungs, enlarging the pupil in the eye, redistributing blood to the muscles and altering the body's metabolism, so as to maximise blood glucose levels primarily for the brain. Most of these seem like they would be positives, and are markers of a strong metabolism:
I can understand why this would be detrimental in a low energy, low nutrient, environment because of the resulting cortisol response to mobilize energy for the enhanced metabolic rate. However if the adrenaline is brought by nutritional means, such as ingestion of high vitamin C fruit or juice, which, from what I understand, can raise adrenaline levels, why is this a bad thing?
I know things like love, sex, thrill seeking, and extreme joy can elevate adrenaline as well, so it seems like calling it a stress hormone is kind of a misnomer?
I am just trying to wrap my brain around this whole metabolism thing, and it just seems like higher levels of adrenaline would be a positive thing in a energy and nutrient rich environment, which is the goal most of us seem to be striving for.
I hope someone smarter than me can explain this to me. I may end up writing The man himself, but I'd rather not take his time away from helping others.
Thanks.

OP
J

James IV

Oh, by the way, sorry for the lack of introduction. I have been lurking around here for quite some time, so I feel like I already know some of you. I apologize for any grammar or typing mistakes. My only internet connection is my old iPhone, which makes typing a chore.

Anyway... Hello everybody! I am James.

LucH

James IV said:
Only bad if too often and too long.
When there is adrenaline secreted, there is also cortisol secreted, just in case it would be needed. Think of an antelope in the nature: Alert when it smells bad (a lion). It must be ready to flight (fight or flight attitude). It's in our genes. We must be fit to flight or to fight (survive).
After adrenaline secretion, the body and the mind need one hour and a half (90') to get back to normal.
Cortisol is a corticoid (sugar). [highlight=yellow]When corticoid is secreted, any other recovering process is stopped[/highlight]. Digestion or detox are delayed e.g. Priority to energy levels. Blood gets off from stomach, towards where it's needed ...
If there is cortisol, there is sugar. if there is sugar, you need energy from glucose (first choice). If you were on lipolysis (fat consumption), this process is momently stopped. Etc.
:hattip
LucH

Last edited by a moderator:

LucH

Our brain needs neurotransmitters. Our brain functions with one accelerator (noradrenalin) and one brake (serotonin). Serotonin is helped / assisted by another transmitter anti-anxiety, GABA, which acts on anxiolytic receptors (like benzodiazepines).

Overwork can lead to overshoot some neurons, others are then emptied (low levels). If the accelerator is low, we do not want to get up, there is a lack of fighting, it's hard to focus, we don’t anticipate the pleasures, we tend to depression. And without courage it’s hard to do anything. This apathy gradually happens after exhausting stress and is often found in some pathologies after exhausted adrenal fatigue (fibromyalgia).
But it’s the opposite that is the most common. Too intense tension makes us impatient, intolerant of frustrated, irritable, sometimes aggressive, agitated, "speedy", anxious, we crave for sugars or sweets (more calories) or alcohol or tobacco to try to relax or to other type of behavior "compulsive".
Source: Jean-Paul Curtay
LH

Decode: If you use energy and nutrients to make some neurotransmitters, other functions in the brain won’t be optimized. If you are borderline, it could push you into depression ...
:hattip

CoolTweetPete

Well put, LucH. :hattip

OP
J

James IV

Thank you for the reply. So you are saying with a rise in adrenalin, there is always a corralative rise in cortisol, regardless of blood energy status?

LucH

James IV said:
https://raypeatforum.com/forums/posts/97378/ So you are saying with a rise in adrenalin, there is always a corralative rise in cortisol, regardless of blood energy status?
Yes. That's why we can't lose weight, or with difficulty, if we are often stressed, for most people. Except when there is another health problem (hyperthyroid e.g.)
We say then we're making bad fats. In French, we say: "Faire du mauvais gras".
LH

XPlus

It's a stress hormone. It has it's uses of course but it's chronic elevation interferes with sugar metabolism leading to what's called insulin resistance. Also, when the fats released by adrenaline are predominantly polyunsaturated, it adds up to the stress effect.
This is the my understanding of adrenaline workings in physiology but as LucH said, never works alone, it's usually accompanied by cortisol. With that comes a whole vicious stress cycle of increased estrogen, serotonin and histamine and the growth hormone. Not to forget the blocked thyroid function - so basically, it's chronic elevation can be part of the typical degenerative picture.

James IV said:
https://raypeatforum.com/forums/posts/97209/ Hello all. I'll get straight to the point. I can't figure out why adrenaline is bad?
I know ray says it causes insulin resistance, but I don't understand how?
The key actions of adrenaline I have found include: increasing the heart rate, increasing blood pressure, expanding the air passages of the lungs, enlarging the pupil in the eye, redistributing blood to the muscles and altering the body's metabolism, so as to maximise blood glucose levels primarily for the brain. Most of these seem like they would be positives, and are markers of a strong metabolism:
I can understand why this would be detrimental in a low energy, low nutrient, environment because of the resulting cortisol response to mobilize energy for the enhanced metabolic rate. However if the adrenaline is brought by nutritional means, such as ingestion of high vitamin C fruit or juice, which, from what I understand, can raise adrenaline levels, why is this a bad thing?
I know things like love, sex, thrill seeking, and extreme joy can elevate adrenaline as well, so it seems like calling it a stress hormone is kind of a misnomer?
I am just trying to wrap my brain around this whole metabolism thing, and it just seems like higher levels of adrenaline would be a positive thing in a energy and nutrient rich environment, which is the goal most of us seem to be striving for.
I hope someone smarter than me can explain this to me. I may end up writing The man himself, but I'd rather not take his time away from helping others.
Thanks.

Why Zebras Don't Get Ulcers

That book will explain why adrenaline is said to be bad and it will also explain the times where adrenaline is said to be good.

I'd consider it required reading to anyone coming to Peating, it sets the Stress Vs Non-Stress context so you can better understand Peat. Peat himself has referred to the author of that book.

OP
J

James IV

I actually have that book in my kindle. Haven't gotten around to reading it yet. I'm seeing now that adrenaline shuts down insulin production, and up regulates glycolysis and lipolysis. I was under the impression only cortisol did that. If adrenaline has a similar effect, I understand why it's chronic elevation would be harmful. Thank you for your answers.

tara

Amongst other things, as described above, I think:
adrenaline -> increased breathing rate
If no actual physical fight or flight required
-> reduced CO2
-> reduced circulation to extremities (and to digestive system, as mentioned above)
-> other dysregulations based on low CO2

tara

This is an old thread, but I've been wondering for quite some time what happens in the long term to folks who are "adrenaline junkies"?

You know, people who crave and engage in risky/dangerous behavior for the thrill on a regular basis...I mean other than wingsuit flyers crashing into the side of a mountain or wild car crashes, do these dare devils have long term health effects if they don't die early?

Simonsays

Just from a few older male "adrenaline junkies" i know (all slim) , they do suffer long term health effects, probably from undiagnosed hypothyroidism and constant life long over exercising (heart disease) and or prostate cancer (men who take beta-blockers, which interfere with signaling from the stress hormones adrenaline and noradrenaline, have a lower incidence of prostate cancer).

Elephanto

Effects of adrenaline in human colon adenocarcinoma HT-29 cells. - PubMed - NCBI

Adrenaline stimulated HT-29 cell proliferation. This was accompanied by the enhanced expression of COX-2 and VEGF in HT-29 cells. Adrenaline also upregulated MMP-9 activity and PGE(2) release. Adrenaline stimulated HT-29 cell proliferation which was reversed by COX-2 inhibitor sc-236. COX-2 inhibitor also reverted the action of adrenaline on VEGF expression and MMP-9 activity. Further study was performed to determine the involvement of β-adrenoceptors. The stimulatory action of adrenaline on colon cancer growth was blocked by atenolol and ICI 118,551, a β(1)- and β(2)-selective antagonist, respectively. This signified the role of β-adrenoceptors in this process. In addition, both antagonists also abrogated the stimulating actions of adrenaline on COX-2, VEGF expression, MMP-9 activity and PGE(2) release in HT-29 cells.

Histamine release by adrenaline and d-tubocurarine in the human subject

Increase in epinephrine excretion is associated with cognitive decline in elderly men: MacArthur studies of successful aging. - PubMed - NCBI

-

TLDR: highly inflammatory, promotes angiogenesis, cancer incidence/progression and particularly, cognitive decline.

YuraCZ

adrenaline = activates sympathetic nervous system = fight or run( it shuts down digestion and regeneration) parasympathetic nervous system is opposite = rest and digest. People overall are more in sympathetic state. Which is highly detrimental to health. So short term adrenalin is not a big of a deal. For example when you are doing some adrenaline sport or something. But soldiers in a war for example are long term on adrenaline which shuts down everything essential for life( activation of parasympathetic nervous system..)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals