Why I Will No Longer Consume Prepacked Fruit/fruit Juice

beta pandemic

Long story short i went to get my usual 2L bottle of apple juice yesterday and spotted a bottle in the fridge with an overgrowth inside. Looked exactly like a kombucha scoby. This is from what I would consider the best/purest fruit juice company in Aus.

Even if you cant see a visual microbial overgrowth the risk for contamination is too high, and there most likely is contamination in all fruit juice.

I will replace the fruit juice with Honey and advise others people not where they want to be healthwise, or trying to increase thyroid/metabolism to discontinue prapacked fruit/juice in any form. Stick to fresh fruit and eat whole or juice at home and consume immediately.

OP
B

beta pandemic

Also id liketo add this applies tofluid milk. It may well be that earlier in peating it was not te actual milk giving me issues but microbial load in the fluid milk that was causing issues. So uht milk if any is consumed would be preferred and the whole bottle should be consumed on day of opening

Xisca

I have read this before! I think you are right, but it can be difficult for many people to have a better source of fruit than juice...

More than bacterial, I think the problem are MOLDS.

Waynish

Yes none of it is worth the price when you can buy the unaltered fruit Frozen or fresh.

Deadpool

This just seems like a huge coincidence.

Just 20 minutes a go, I drank high-quality apple juice straight out of the package and then I noticed extremely painful gut irritation. It was super painful for 10 minutes.

Now that you said it, the last sip I took tasted very weird and moldy. Also I took it straight out of the package, so I couldn't see if there was anything weird in it.

This is the second time this happened with apple juice.

Wagner83

I only drink filtered apple juice and don't have issues, if not filtered apple juices give me mouth ulcers quick as well as allergic reactions sometimes (apples do the same).

Djukami

I only drink filtered apple juice and don't have issues, if not filtered apple juices give me mouth ulcers quick as well as allergic reactions sometimes (apples do the same).
How do you do your apple juice? I think the peel is a problem, at least for me. It gives me huge gut pain sometimes. Without it, I can eat them without experience any huge side effects. I've been wondering about experimenting apple juice, but I don't have those expensive slow juicers that filter fiber. I have to blend them... But then the fiber it is still there.
Do you blend and then filter the juice? Isn't it a very slow process?

I also think every single juice in bottles, packages are pure garbage. I know it's easy to get them, but if one wants to drink juice as a main staple, the best option is clearly doing it at home or buying some that is fresh pressed. The only cons though, are extra work at home and the price for a fresh pressed juice.

[EDIT]
Ups, I think I misunderstood what you have said. For some reason I interpreted "drink filtered apple juice" as apple juice filtered at home. Sorry.

Last edited:

Deadpool

How do you do your apple juice? I think the peel is a problem, at least for me. It gives me huge gut pain sometimes. Without it, I can eat them without experience any huge side effects. I've been wondering about experimenting apple juice, but I don't have those expensive slow juicers that filter fiber. I have to blend them... But then the fiber it is still there.
Do you blend and then filter the juice? Isn't it a very slow process?

I also think every single juice in bottles, packages are pure garbage. I know it's easy to get them, but if one wants to drink juice as a main staple, the best option is clearly doing it at home or buying some that is fresh pressed. The only cons though, are extra work at home and the price for a fresh pressed juice.

I buy relatively expensive fresh pressed juice. It's called direct pressed here in Germany and I still had my problems.

Tenacity

This just seems like a huge coincidence.

Just 20 minutes a go, I drank high-quality apple juice straight out of the package and then I noticed extremely painful gut irritation. It was super painful for 10 minutes.

Now that you said it, the last sip I took tasted very weird and moldy. Also I took it straight out of the package, so I couldn't see if there was anything weird in it.

This is the second time this happened with apple juice.
I have experience the exact same thing, with likely a cheaper juice. It only happens in the morning though, for some reason. I didn't detect a moldy taste though.

Djukami

I buy relatively expensive fresh pressed juice. It's called direct pressed here in Germany and I still had my problems.
But does it come already in a bottle? Does it have an expire date? Or do you see a person pressing it like on Danny Roddy's video here (min. 1:06) -

Perhaps it may indeed have good quality... In my country most of them have ascorbic acid as a conservative...

squanch

I assume you mean the unpasteurized, unfiltered apple juice you can buy at a lot of farmers markets in Germany? We call it "süßer Most" here.
I've also noticed that at this time of the year, it's definitely starting to taste a bit weird. Those apples have been in storage for around 10 months now, there will definitely be a few that are a little moldy/rotten inside. Probably best to only buy it between fall and spring.

But unpasteurized and unfiltered apple juice generally always has a slight laxative effect when you drink it in larger quantities, even when made with apples picked freshly from the tree. Something about the pectins binding water in the colon I think?

Is that even a thing outside of Germany? Apple cider is pretty big here and a lot of the cider producers will have a stand at the local farmers market and sell fresh unpasteurized apple juice. The color is darker than pasteurized juice and it tastes completely different. Still my favorite fruit juice.
120904_suesser_apfelsaft_800.jpg

Djukami

But unpasteurized and unfiltered apple juice generally always has a slight laxative effect when you drink it in larger quantities, even when made with apples picked freshly from the tree. Something about the pectins binding water in the colon I think?
Interesting. Perhaps that's one of the reasons it is usually used to clean the gut.
I assume you mean the unpasteurized, unfiltered apple juice you can buy at a lot of farmers markets in Germany? We call it "süßer Most" here.
I've also noticed that at this time of the year, it's definitely starting to taste a bit weird. Those apples have been in storage for around 10 months now, there will definitely be a few that are a little moldy/rotten inside. Probably best to only buy it between fall and spring.

Is that even a thing outside of Germany? Apple cider is pretty big here and a lot of the cider producers will have a stand at the local farmers market and sell fresh unpasteurized apple juice. The color is darker than pasteurized juice and it tastes completely different. Still my favorite fruit juice.
120904_suesser_apfelsaft_800.jpg
Have you ever made apple juice at home? Dang, I want to try make it at home but then I don't know how can I do it without a slow juicer...
At the local farmers market, do you know how they do it? If they blend the apples with or without the peel and then sieve? Or if they simply press the apples? In that picture of yours it seems to have no fiber at all. And since it has a darker color, they may do the juice without peeling the apple. Or it is simply the oxidation process happening.

michael94

I get the gravenstein apple juice from whole foods ocassionally. Never had a problem. A lot of other packaged apple juices have a weird aftertaste though.

squanch

Interesting. Perhaps that's one of the reasons it is usually used to clean the gut.

Have you ever made apple juice at home? Dang, I want to try make it at home but then I don't know how can I do it without a slow juicer...
At the local farmers market, do you know how they do it? If they blend the apples with or without the peel and then sieve? Or if they simply press the apples? In that picture of yours it seems to have no fiber at all.

Traditionally the apples are shredded and then put into a press like this, which has a cloth filter bag at the bottom.
Apfelpresse.jpg

I have done it in a centrifugal juicer at home though, which worked pretty well actually. Very little fiber in the juice and you can peel the apples before. I've also thought about buying one of those fancy slow juicers lately. There are some pretty good ones nowadays for around 100€-150€. No need to buy those ridiculously expensive omega juicers.

Djukami

Traditionally the apples are shredded and then put into a press like this, which has a cloth filter bag at the bottom.
Apfelpresse.jpg

I have done it in a centrifugal juicer at home though, which worked pretty well actually. Very little fiber in the juice and you can peel the apples before. I've also thought about buying one of those fancy slow juicers lately. There are some pretty good ones nowadays for around 100€-150€. No need to buy those ridiculously expensive omega juicers.
So, you basically blend the apples and filter the liquid with a strainer to remove most of the fiber? :)

Yeah, once I start to get interested in drinking more juice daily, I wanted to buy one of those juicers. Then, I started reading reviews about different products and it seemed only those expensive were good. The brand Versapers The juice revolution seemed what most people were choosing. Of course, those less expensive may do the job also. But they are, as you've said, still around 100€-150€ which seems not worth for me at the moment. Way cheaper though, without a doubt.

squanch

So, you basically blend the apples and filter the liquid with a strainer to remove most of the fiber? :)
Well kind of. You still have to apply quite a lot of pressure to get the liquid out of the shredded apples though.
If you want to do it at home without a juicer, putting the apples in a blender and then straining them through a very fine cheesecloth might work. Not sure how much of the liquid you can actually squeeze out of it with just your hands though, I think you will still need some kind of actual mechanical press.

Djukami

Well kind of. You still have to apply quite a lot of pressure to get the liquid out of the shredded apples though.
If you want to do it at home without a juicer, putting the apples in a blender and then straining them through a very fine cheesecloth might work. Not sure how much of the liquid you can actually squeeze out of it with just your hands though, I think you will still need some kind of actual mechanical press.
I see... I've already tried doing juices with a cheesecloth. It works, but the amount of work and time you expend, make it impossible for a daily basis. I literately had to spend all my day in the kitchen. Perhaps with training, it would get better, but still...
Thank you for the tip. I might check for some kind of mechanical press, even if I have to create one on my own.

tara

I gave up on the local small producer AJ and eventually went for the more commercial clear stuff with added vit-C. I know Peat advises against vit-C. But I've never detected any hint of mould in this stuff if I store it in the fridge after opening and use it within a week of opening. The local cloudy AJ with no additives had occasional issues with mould.

Fractality

I stick with Martinelli's or Treetop (not from concentrate and no ascorbic acid) and don't have any problems. I had a horrible gut reaction/bowels when I drank too much unfiltered apple juice from Trader Joe's.

Back
Top Bottom