Why I Regret Giving Hair Loss Advice And A Major Breakthrough

I wonder if sebum buildup is a cause of hair loss or just a result of it. What comes first the chicken or the egg?

I've been battling hair loss since I was 19 with varying results. I'm 31 now and still have a decent head of hair. It seems to me to primarily be a blood circulation/supply issue. Some people being more susceptible than others for genetic reasons. Less robust vascular systems.

Also, first post!

Sick avatar and screen name. Godspeed to you sir.

Thank you, and to you too sir. The avatar is from Alex Grey (of course right?) and the screen name popped out of my brain one day but I guess it's actually a real thing too, go figure.

tfcjesse

http://www.the-dermatologist.com/content/maintaining-healthy-scalp-and-hair-improved-hair-growth

I felt around on the different parts of my head. No soil on top = little hair. Lots of soil on sides and back = lots of hair.

Need some soil on top.

Good find, what soil do you use? I think I have some in the garage like this (https://www.amazon.com/Miracle-Gro-Moisture-currently-Northeastern-Midwestern/dp/B00FE1GGG2) can I use that or do you recommend a different brand? Also, what dose and how long do you leave it in?

lvysaur

the inevitable end to any rational discussion on hair loss

DHT denial is something of a religion on this forum. It is clearly necessary for hair loss to occur. So in a literal sense, DHT does cause hair loss.

Other things can also cause hair loss, and it's better to target those things.

GAF

The trick is to get the soil underneath to top layer of skin. I am relying on the agriculture scientists on this forum to explain how to accomplish this.

AretnaP

DHT denial is something of a religion on this forum. It is clearly necessary for hair loss to occur. So in a literal sense, DHT does cause hair loss.

Other things can also cause hair loss, and it's better to target those things.
I just don't believe that DHT can boost the hair growth to the degree it does on most parts of the body while making you lose hair in another part. I understand that sometimes there are phenomena that occur in our world that aren't intuitive, but I just can't believe DHT hairloss theory.

here are my biggest issues with DHT theory:
-balding men don't have more DHT than men who keep their hair
-balding men don't have more androgen receptors in the scalp
-there are anti-androgens that don't regrow hair, but there's something specific about finasteride that does

JDreamer

Any updates on people's experience with polysorbate 80?

Love the stuff.

Initially shed a bit ........ but now things are thickening up (especially in the diffused area on top) and my scalp has never felt cleaner. In fact the scalp acne I've been getting for the last 4-5 years has cleared up.

It's just too bad I didn't know about this stuff a long time ago. Hopefully I can add "regrowth" to the list of positives in the coming months. I'm not expecting a miracle after only 4-6 weeks considering it took me about 8-9 years for my hair to recede and thin out like this.

Last edited:

grenade

Love the stuff.

Initially shed a bit ........ but now things are thickening up (especially in the diffused area on top) and my scalp has never felt cleaner. In fact the scalp acne I've been getting for the last 4-5 years has cleared up.

It's just too bad I didn't now about this stuff a long time ago. Hopefully I can add "regrowth" to the list of positives in the coming months. I'm not expecting a miracle after only 4-6 weeks considering it took me about 8-9 years for my hair to recede and thin out like this.

That's so awesome to hear. I'd love to see what happens by the end of the year. At this rate it sounds like you may very wel achieve that.

lvysaur

I just don't believe that DHT can boost the hair growth to the degree it does on most parts of the body while making you lose hair in another part.

There's no reason to hold that belief.

I'm not going to support the DHT theory because that implies that DHT is the central culprit. I'm only saying that it is necessary for hair loss, and that is an indisputable fact.

There are clearly other things further down the line that make the difference, as you mentioned. But if you cannot accept that DHT is intimately involved and necessary for the process, then you are religiously blind.

helpmyhair

Can anyone else update us on their poly-80 progress?

Also thx JDreamer for sharing your results thus far.

BrianF

I have been doing the scalp massage thing on a semi-regular basis over the last few months. Its like this: some days I will do a good 20 min massage in the evening and some days I'm lucky if I do 5 mins, perhaps one minute at a time through the day when I remember. Some days I miss it all together, sadly.(I have a young baby so my time isn't my own anymore.) I have also been using Polysorbate 80 once a week the same time. About three weeks ago I also began supplementing with Magnesium Citrate (someone on these threads advised it to help with calcification of the scalp) and I have seen a dramatic change in the thickness and tightness of the scalp at the front (which is the bit I tend to massage the most also). Anyway, point of this post is that I think I may be seeing the beginnings of some growth around the hairline. I honestly wish I had taken a picture a few months ago to compare it with. So I'm going to post a pic I took of my hairline tonight (Sunday evening here in London) and then post another in about a month's time sitting in exactly the same spot, directly under the bulb in my living room. And hopefully, I'm going to see some concrete evidence of regrowth.

20171210_191104.jpg
20171210_191104.jpg

stressucks

I've been using polysorbate80 for 3-4 months now. I stopped using shampoo because it keeps my scalp so clean. Can't say I've noticed reduce shedding or anything like that though.

Mossy

Thanks for sharing, BrianF.

Due to limited time and too much I'm doing already in my hair-saving routine, I've stopped massaging. Part of my logic is that I'm already dermarolling, which in my opinion is doing the same as massaging and even to the fullest possible extent -- getting as deep into the tissues as possible. Do you do any dermarolling/wounding, and/or do you have any thoughts on this as compared to massaging?

BrianF

I've been using polysorbate80 for 3-4 months now. I stopped using shampoo because it keeps my scalp so clean. Can't say I've noticed reduce shedding or anything like that though.

My shedding during normal shampooing is much recuced but i always see a lot of hair in tbe drain when i use polysorbate. I know a lot if guys have stopped using it for this reason but i figure that these hairs were going to be coming out anyway and the deep cleanse of the polysorbate probably just dislodged them. I figure they were being held in by a sebum plug. Just my theory all the same.

BrianF

Thanks for sharing, BrianF.

Due to limited time and too much I'm doing already in my hair-saving routine, I've stopped massaging. Part of my logic is that I'm already dermarolling, which in my opinion is doing the same as massaging and even to the fullest possible extent -- getting as deep into the tissues as possible. Do you do any dermarolling/wounding, and/or do you have any thoughts on this as compared to massaging?

I have never done derma-rolling but i understand that its highly rated. Id like to incorporate it into my regime but, like yourself im having trouble managing one proper 20 mins massage a day, when i believe tbe correct protocol is 2x20 mins.

stressucks

My shedding during normal shampooing is much recuced but i always see a lot of hair in tbe drain when i use polysorbate. I know a lot if guys have stopped using it for this reason but i figure that these hairs were going to be coming out anyway and the deep cleanse of the polysorbate probably just dislodged them. I figure they were being held in by a sebum plug. Just my theory all the same.
Right, the hairs were going to come out when I shampoo or comb anyway.