Why don't children get lipofuscin on high pufa diet?

AlisonG

If lipofuscin is oxidized pufa (do I have that right?) then why don't children eating the same diet as their parents and grandparents have lipofuscin? I'm actually not doubting Ray, I'm just trying to understand what happens as we age in this respect. Thanks in advance!

SamYo123

Probs cells are regenerating and detoxing at a faster rate from faster re-dox potential

tallglass13

It takes until they get into their teens and older, it happens , I am seeing it in real time.

haidut

Forum Supporter
If lipofuscin is oxidized pufa (do I have that right?) then why don't children eating the same diet as their parents and grandparents have lipofuscin? I'm actually not doubting Ray, I'm just trying to understand what happens as we age in this respect. Thanks in advance!

Much lower iron stores and better liver function compared to late teens and adults. The lower iron directly limits the formation of lipofuscin while the good liver function and high metabolic rate ensure most of the PUFA is processed/excreted and not stored in tissues. With little iron/PUFA not much lipofuscin can form. Also, high metabolic rate = low "oxidative" stress and this lowers risk of PUFA peroxidation (for the PUFA that does get stored in tissues). Without PUFA peroxidation byproducts lipofuscin cannot form.
So, all in all, multiple protective mechanisms all of which wane with advancing age, though seem to remain largely intact in certain groups of people - e.g. living at high altitude - even at very advanced age. Here is one of them.