Why Doesn't Peat Recommend Purple Grape Juice

cats

Various websites say that grapes typically have very high pesticide content. Not sure if that's the reason Peat doesn't recommend it, though.

raypeatclips

I drink it quite a bit. I think I have seen Peat say grape juice is good but need to be careful with the calories as it is quite calorific. Don't think he specified white or red

paymanz

Grapes ,the sweet ones are great in my opinion, refills glycogen stores fasts. But yes they probably have pesticides on skin, you probably can't juice them while avoiding pesticides in your juice.and also some have seeds in them, full of pufa.

BTW I believe some grapes also have some allergens/histamin in them.if I remembering correctly.

But anyway I enjoy them, still superior than many other foods/fruits.

Kartoffel

He once wrote that it is probably ok to drink it occasionally, but grape juice is likely to contain quite a bit of yeast and estrogen because yeast naturally grows on the grapes' surface wax.

OP
ecstatichamster
the study I posted says only dark purple type works. I think it is the polyphenols that give it the deep color.

Re what Dr. Peat has to say:

Search

paymanz

It is interesting, ray occasionally mentions calorie intake, in a way that you don't want excess calories!

OP
ecstatichamster
Ray had posted this study showing how polyphenols can become mutagenic through transformation from fecal bacteria:

Fecalase: a model for activation of dietary glycosides to mutagens by intestinal flora. Tamura G, Gold

http://www.pnas.org/content/77/8/4961.full.pdf

But it's a stretch in a way, I think...

Badger

Early this year, I heard on a nutritionist show I listen to frequently, where they cited a good study that showed purple grape juice is very good for the brain, enhancing cognitive functions and can prevent dementia. I think he said this finding is new, not ever shown before.

BTW, you can get organic purple grape juice, to avoid pesticides, in bottles at grocery stores. I do it all the time. You can also find organic grape juice powder in Amazon and other places online.

Mito

Not good to drink juice with red meat because vit C amplifies iron absorption. I have meat with coke or coffee.
Vitamin C probably does not have a significant impact on absorption of iron from meat (because meat is mostly heme iron). Vitamin C does increase absorption of non-heme (plant) forms of iron.

InChristAlone

Oranges are also sprayed. What fruit isn't sprayed? Organic fruit is typically very expensive. I like to say organic is only for wealthy people. Or people without children. Plus big ag organics will use questionable 'natural' pesticides.

Luann

Grapes are in season here, they're both way cheaper and way crisp-er than I ever had them before. Like, they were supposed to taste like this the whole time?! Very tasty.

Barely relevant but.

lvysaur

Not good to drink juice with red meat because vit C amplifies iron absorption. I have meat with coke or coffee.

only true for non heme iron.

heme iron is unaffected by vitamin C. It is still inhibited by calcium.

Ideonaut

I picked about 5 gallons of blackberries and made syrup out of them this summer. The dry summer here in the Seattle area was great for the ubiquitous himilayan blackberries. I suppose they have the same iron absorption inhibiting substances.

sladerunner69

Oranges are also sprayed. What fruit isn't sprayed? Organic fruit is typically very expensive. I like to say organic is only for wealthy people. Or people without children. Plus big ag organics will use questionable 'natural' pesticides.

I like to think oranges are less contaminated with pesticides because of the skin. It's probably true to some extent. I wish I could afford an all organic fruit diet though.