Why Does Zinc Make Me Angry?

managing

I've tried a zinc based sunscreen 3 times now. Each time, several hours later I get angry. Why would that be? Zinc is generally supposed to be calming, not irritating.

BearWithMe

Are you getting enough calcium/magnesium/copper? Zinc intake can exacerbate pre-existing deficiencies of some other nutrients.

OP
managing

managing

Are you getting enough calcium/magnesium/copper? Zinc intake can exacerbate pre-existing deficiencies of some other nutrients.
That's a good question. I eat well and balanced (by Peat standards, yes). I sometimes have adsorption issues with minerals though.

UV light decomposes sunscreen's ingredients to create unpredictably complex chemical cocktail being absorbed from skin to system.

OP
managing

managing

UV light decomposes sunscreen's ingredients to create unpredictably complex chemical cocktail being absorbed from skin to system.
You've misunderstood. This is a zinc oxide sunscreen, an alternative to conventional sunscreens. Here are the ingredients:

ACTIVE INGREDIENT: ZINC OXIDE 22.0%.
INACTIVE INGREDIENTS: ARGANIA SPINOSA KERNEL OIL, BEESWAX, BISABOLOL, BUTYROSPERMUM PARKII (SHEA) BUTTER, COCOS NUCIFERA (COCONUT) OIL, COPERNICIA CERIFERA (CARNAUBA) WAX, EUPHORBIA CERIFERA (CANDELILLA) WAX, OCTYLDODECANOL, PERSEA GRATISSIMA (AVOCADO) OIL, THEOBROMA CACAO (COCOA) SEED BUTTER, TOCOPHERYL ACETATE.

A couple of oils that are not fully saturated, but that wouldn't do it.

I should add that I've gotten this reaction to oral zinc supplements too.

I should add that I've gotten this reaction to oral zinc supplements too.

Ok. Amount absorbed from zinc sunscreen would be insignificant and not enough, I believe, to cause systemic effects. But if you would get this reaction for, let's say, even 50 mcg of zinc via oral, this would be convincing. Sorry cant offer any clue.

I do not react good to zinc supps too.

Can you describe a specific situation in which you noticed your anger? In my opinion, there are different permutations of anger or aggression.

For instance, I see dopamine aggression and serotonin/estrogen aggression. Dopamine aggression is being easily frustrated by other people being incompetent, slow, or in the way -- slowing the dopamine individual down in some way, they are being impeded from actualizing dopaminergic events. Serotonin aggression is the aggression that the Peatosphere acknowledges -- lashing out, a desire to inflict harm.

OP
managing

managing

Can you describe a specific situation in which you noticed your anger? In my opinion, there are different permutations of anger or aggression.

For instance, I see dopamine aggression and serotonin/estrogen aggression. Dopamine aggression is being easily frustrated by other people being incompetent, slow, or in the way -- slowing the dopamine individual down in some way, they are being impeded from actualizing dopaminergic events. Serotonin aggression is the aggression that the Peatosphere acknowledges -- lashing out, a desire to inflict harm.
Nice distinction. The dopaminergic kind for sure.

Giraffe

Amount absorbed from zinc sunscreen would be insignificant and not enough, I believe, to cause systemic effects.
It's mostly zinc nano particles that are used. They are more active than bigger particles. Products are not necessarily labeled as containing zinc nano particles.

Hans

Forum Supporter
I've tried a zinc based sunscreen 3 times now. Each time, several hours later I get angry. Why would that be? Zinc is generally supposed to be calming, not irritating.
Low blood sugar perhaps?
Or like Giraffe is saying, it's probably nano particles and that's causing inflammation and irritation.

Layne

I do not react good to zinc supps too.

@methylenewhite -- Heavy metals easily take up residence in zinc receptor sites in the body, which is the case with most people. Zinc supplementation can easily knock those heavy metals out of zinc receptor sites, and if done too rapidly, can cause an increase of heavy metals circulating through the blood, making us feel ill. Zinc supplementation ideally should be started slowly, and accompanied by charcoal capsules (and/or bentonite clay) on an empty stomach as much as 2-3x/day.

@methylenewhite -- Heavy metals easily take up residence in zinc receptor sites in the body, which is the case with most people. Zinc supplementation can easily knock those heavy metals out of zinc receptor sites, and if done too rapidly, can cause an increase of heavy metals circulating through the blood, making us feel ill. Zinc supplementation ideally should be started slowly, and accompanied by charcoal capsules (and/or bentonite clay) on an empty stomach as much as 2-3x/day.

Zinc supplementation will upregulate metallothionein synthesis, and MT binds heavy metals.

Layne

Zinc supplementation will upregulate metallothionein synthesis, and MT binds heavy metals.

@Steven Bussinger -- Not sure exactly what you're saying, but my best guess is that you don't think zinc supplementation could cause heavy metals to enter the bloodstream and create serious problems. I've read fairly extensively that this does indeed happen, and can actually be a very dangerous situation. -- Always proceed cautiously when supplementing with zinc, especially if you're aware of past heavy metal exposures, and/or have heavy metals in your mouth (such as amalgam fillings and metal crowns).

@Steven Bussinger -- Not sure exactly what you're saying, but my best guess is that you don't think zinc supplementation could cause heavy metals to enter the bloodstream and create serious problems. I've read fairly extensively that this does indeed happen, and can actually be a very dangerous situation. -- Always proceed cautiously when supplementing with zinc, especially if you're aware of past heavy metal exposures, and/or have heavy metals in your mouth (such as amalgam fillings and metal crowns).

I guess this is a possibility. You say heavy metals are knocked out of receptors sites by zinc. The presence of heavy metals in the bloodstream also upregulates MT synthesis -- but MT synthesis will only happen insofar as you have sufficient zinc. If heavy metals are wreaking havoc due to zinc supplementation, to me, this suggests zinc deficiency and heavy metal toxicity (and the heavy metal toxicity was probably exacerbated or even created by the zinc deficiency).

I've never come across anything saying that zinc releases heavy metals into the bloodstream, so I'd appreciate it if you could link some here. Finding relevant papers on Pubmed or Google Scholar can be extremely tedious sometimes.

We don't have any more information from OP, anyhow, so we're just talking in generalities at this point.

Auslander

Could it be that youre angry because you realize youre covered in white goo? Or perhaps some external element like Democratic primaries is what triggers you.

OP
managing

managing

Could it be that youre angry because you realize youre covered in white goo? Or perhaps some external element like Democratic primaries is what triggers you.
Well, the first one was funny at least . . .

OP
managing

managing

I guess this is a possibility. You say heavy metals are knocked out of receptors sites by zinc. The presence of heavy metals in the bloodstream also upregulates MT synthesis -- but MT synthesis will only happen insofar as you have sufficient zinc. If heavy metals are wreaking havoc due to zinc supplementation, to me, this suggests zinc deficiency and heavy metal toxicity (and the heavy metal toxicity was probably exacerbated or even created by the zinc deficiency).

I've never come across anything saying that zinc releases heavy metals into the bloodstream, so I'd appreciate it if you could link some here. Finding relevant papers on Pubmed or Google Scholar can be extremely tedious sometimes.

We don't have any more information from OP, anyhow, so we're just talking in generalities at this point.
I encourage this line of inquiry even though I have no insight (as yet) about whether it pertains to me or not.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals