Why Does The Vegan And Raw Vegan Community Eat "sprouts" ?

johnwester130

Apparently they are the most nutritious thing in the world.

I am referring to alfalfa sprouts, sunflower seed sprouts, bean sprouts etc.

lvysaur

Well, sprouted seeds will have fewer antinutritious phytates, lectins, etc. than unsprouted seeds.

I don't know of any reason to specifically eat sprouts over other foods.

paymanz

there also an interview where ray talks about benefits of sprouting, raypeatclips uploaded it on youtube.

Jennifer

I know other raw vegans eat them because they feel they're highly nutritious, but I only eat bean sprouts because I like them in my raw lo mein, not for their nutrient density in particular. I do think sprouting unlocks a seed's nutrients and makes it much easier to digest, and it does provide some extra protein if one were in need of it, but I've found that fruit, including young coconut meat and water, and tender baby greens, are superior foods for me so I guess it just depends on the individual.

paymanz

But eating the actual raw sprouts ? Not a sprouted bread
For raw vegans sprouts has great value because other than grains you can't find much selenium.and you cant eat grains raw unless you sprout them.

Btw I don't believe sprouts are the most nutritious foods in the world.

LucH

In sprouted seeds vitamins rates increase dramatically: e.g. vitamins contained in wheat sprouted after 5 days of germination:
B1 + 20%
B2 + 300%
B3 + 40 à 50%
B6 + 200%
C + 500%
A : + 225%

Other beneficial substances appear during germination: phytonutrients, enzymes, trace elements and chlorophyll. And above all anti-nutrients are well counteracted or neutralized (phosphates and phytates).
Sprouts contain a reserve of dormancy nutrients which are reserves to give life to a plant. These nutrients are stored in the seed while enzymes are kept dormant through different inhibitors. Those inhibitors are then neutralized.
In seed trace elements forms complexes, not very bioavailable. E.g. magnesium in complexed with phosphorus and forms a salt (phosphate), not very usable.
When germinated, sprouts makes their bioavailability “sky-rocketed”.
upload_2016-11-16_13-20-10.jpg

Grain entier = whole grain (seed).
Source: Bienfaits des graines germées:nurse:
http://www.eco-bio.info/graines-germees.html
http://www.dietobio.com/dossiers/fr/graines_germees/effets.html

Jennifer

For raw vegans sprouts has great value because other than grains you can't find much selenium.and you cant eat grains raw unless you sprout them.

Btw I don't believe sprouts are the most nutritious foods in the world.
Huh. That's good to know about the grains and selenium. Brazil nuts are very high in selenium, but I've been sticking with mushrooms instead. I digest them better.

In sprouted seeds vitamins rates increase dramatically: e.g. vitamins contained in wheat sprouted after 5 days of germination:
B1 + 20%
B2 + 300%
B3 + 40 à 50%
B6 + 200%
C + 500%
A : + 225%

Other beneficial substances appear during germination: phytonutrients, enzymes, trace elements and chlorophyll. And above all anti-nutrients are well counteracted or neutralized (phosphates and phytates).
Sprouts contain a reserve of dormancy nutrients which are reserves to give life to a plant. These nutrients are stored in the seed while enzymes are kept dormant through different inhibitors. Those inhibitors are then neutralized.
In seed trace elements forms complexes, not very bioavailable. E.g. magnesium in complexed with phosphorus and forms a salt (phosphate), not very usable.
When germinated, sprouts makes their bioavailability “sky-rocketed”.
View attachment 3873
Grain entier = whole grain (seed).
Source: Bienfaits des graines germées:nurse:
http://www.eco-bio.info/graines-germees.html
http://www.dietobio.com/dossiers/fr/graines_germees/effets.html
Thank you for posting this, LucH. It's interesting to see how much the phosphorus rises with germination.

I watched the video WP posted and Ray mentions sprouts being good nutrition like leaves, but I wonder what his opinion is about the difference in calcium and phosphorus if one is relying on it for their main source of calcium. The thing I like about leaves, and also raw grass juice powders, is they provide a good source of calcium and have a good calcium to phosphorus ration. Since I've struggled with my parathyroid and I'm trying to build back my vertebrate, it feels important for me to consider.

paymanz

with sprouting there also a risk for fungal infection.

------------

@LucH how long you let it to grow? It more looks like grass after 5 days,interesting you mentioned you discard the seeds.

LucH

The thing I like about leaves, and also raw grass juice powders, is they provide a good source of calcium and have a good calcium to phosphorus ration. Since I've struggled with my parathyroid and I'm trying to build back my vertebrate, it feels important for me to consider.
Mind alfafa sprouts if hypo.
Not too often, alfalfa sprouts, and with a pause for the other persons.
Have a look at vitamin K2 MK4 and MK7 for bringing calcium where needed. There is interaction between vitamins K2 A and D3.

Interesting links (in French, first and third links with English source):
Interaction entre les vitamines liposolubles
Trio Vitamines K2 D3 et Ca – Optimiser les besoins
Bienfaits de la vitamine K

LucH

@LucH how long you let it to grow? It more looks like grass after 5 days,interesting you mentioned you discard the seeds.
It dépends on the type of seeds (family).
In my book, from DOUGOU CHAVANNES, vegetable seeds have 3 periods:
Example for Alfalfa:
Soaking 3 - 4 Hours
germination 7 – 10 days (3 for radisch)
conservation (fridge) 4 – 5 days. Never put in frigde.
But I use a Ventilated automatic sprinklers "Easy green". :) No problem of mold or snuffers in summer. No need for paying attention. 2 or 3 days soaking. Watering every 2 / 3 hours for 12 minutes (misting). 3 liters of water per day.

J

James IV

are broccoli sprouts goitrogenic?

A lot of modern veggies are just selectively bred parts of the same plant. I personally avoid this whole family.
It's poverty food.

Attachments

• IMG_0048.JPG
    IMG_0048.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 61