Why Does Sugar Seem To Make My Inflammation Worse?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

DaveFoster

10mg? Did I read that right? I haven't even seen that low of a dose available?

Why?

My thyroid is quite low and I'm working on bringing it up - Verified through labs, temp and pulse.

I'm on T4 and T3 as both are below the range

Seems like I notice very little to no effects from any of the supps you mentioned and most other supps and thyroid for that matter
Peat recommends 25-100 mg/day niacinamide three times daily. 10 mg is a reasonable starting dose, but you may be sensitive. There may be some advantages to higher dosages due to the longer-acting life of the drug.

Your most powerful medicine will be food. High in sugar, moderate in high-quality protein, and low in PUFA.

OP
F

firebreather

Peat recommends 25-100 mg/day niacinamide three times daily. 10 mg is a reasonable starting dose, but you may be sensitive. There may be some advantages to higher dosages due to the longer-acting life of the drug.

Your most powerful medicine will be food. High in sugar, moderate in high-quality protein, and low in PUFA.

I don't understand what you're saying here in light of the post being about the fact that sugar seems to increase inflammation for me. Are you suggesting that I do high sugar in spite of the increased inflammation?

DaveFoster

I don't understand what you're saying here in light of the post being about the fact that sugar seems to increase inflammation for me. Are you suggesting that I do high sugar in spite of the increased inflammation?
The alternative to high sugar is low sugar. Sugar facilitates healthy mitochondrial function and subsequent generation of ATP and CO2. Your issues do not reflect the pivotal role of carbohydrate in your body's function.

The problem is your body's current hormonal environment; the Randle cycle needs to shift in favor of burning glucose rather than fatty acids.

Read this: Glucose and sucrose for diabetes.

Niacinamide, thiamine, and biotin will all help you tolerate and burn sugar more efficiently. Out of those three, niacinamide is the most likely to cause problems during adjustment.

tara

My opinion is that sugar is completely devoid of nutrients and you'll need to make certain your nutritional reserves are topped off if you eat sugar....I know, not a popular opinion around here...oh well.
I'm on board that view too, at least wrt eating a large amount of refined sugar. I think many others see it this way too.

I easily get 300g plus a day but some of that is from fruit and juice.
If you mean a bit more than 300g carbs/day, that doesn't seem like much. I'm a sedentary middle aged woman, and I think I eat more than that most days. You have a more physical job, and are male - 100g protein + 300g carbs is probably only half the calories you need? If you are filling the other half with fat, then that might be messing with carb metabolism? If you are not filling it at all, then that looks like a recipe for stress, catabolism, and continued metabolic suppression from energy deficit?

bobbybobbob

I've never had any luck with those things like CRON-o-meter. It seems like you have to be way to specific on what you're eating.

Organs, muscle meat, and wild fish/shell-fish are the sine qua non of adequate nutrition in the typical western context. Plants are for calories. I really doubt milk and cheese and eggs get the job done for most people.

I think a lot of people are getting bum steers from cronometer and such-like about their various veggies and juices.

Eat a lot more meat and fish and crab and tripe and liver pate with every meal and see how you feel after a month.

OP
F

firebreather

The alternative to high sugar is low sugar. Sugar facilitates healthy mitochondrial function and subsequent generation of ATP and CO2. Your issues do not reflect the pivotal role of carbohydrate in your body's function.

The problem is your body's current hormonal environment; the Randle cycle needs to shift in favor of burning glucose rather than fatty acids.

Read this: Glucose and sucrose for diabetes.

Niacinamide, thiamine, and biotin will all help you tolerate and burn sugar more efficiently. Out of those three, niacinamide is the most likely to cause problems during adjustment.

Dave, thank you so much for the input.

I definitely have hormone issues - thyroid (t3 and t4) are low as well as most of my sex hormones, but I will have a look at this article and hopefully be able to understand the content.

What kind of issues are you talking about with niacinamide? I take around 300mg to 500mg a day and haven't noticed any adverse affects

I don't know if it's related but lately (about the past 4 months) my appetite has gone to practically nothing although it used to be huge. And I gained 30 pounds this winter.

DaveFoster

Dave, thank you so much for the input.

I definitely have hormone issues - thyroid (t3 and t4) are low as well as most of my sex hormones, but I will have a look at this article and hopefully be able to understand the content.

What kind of issues are you talking about with niacinamide? I take around 300mg to 500mg a day and haven't noticed any adverse affects

I don't know if it's related but lately (about the past 4 months) my appetite has gone to practically nothing although it used to be huge. And I gained 30 pounds this winter.
If you've taken that much niacinamide, then you should be fine. If you're running on cortisol and adrenaline (as I am at the moment,) then you need to be careful with niacinamide.

It will lower your blood-sugar, and if you don't have adequate carbohydrate, you will get a pronounced stress-response as your body tries to bring up your blood sugar. (If I'm wrong about the mechanism here, someone could pitch in.)

Your loss of appetite, fat storage, and lower thyroid function is normal for the winter time. Try to get sunlight, plenty of carbohydrate, adequate protein, and take your supplements regularly.

I'd advise Buteyko breathing as well and have plenty of fun if you can.

OP
F

firebreather

I'm on board that view too, at least wrt eating a large amount of refined sugar. I think many others see it this way too.

If you mean a bit more than 300g carbs/day, that doesn't seem like much. I'm a sedentary middle aged woman, and I think I eat more than that most days. You have a more physical job, and are male - 100g protein + 300g carbs is probably only half the calories you need? If you are filling the other half with fat, then that might be messing with carb metabolism? If you are not filling it at all, then that looks like a recipe for stress, catabolism, and continued metabolic suppression from energy deficit?

Interesting. I actually think I'm fairly sedentary. As a firefighter I work 10 days per month (24 hr shifts) and my station is slower. 95% of the time I'm sitting around. If I do run a call it's usually a medical call where I go and help the person get onto the ambulance.

As mentioned above, just in the last 4 months my appetite seems to have gone way down, so it's hard to imagine eating even more than I already do.

OP
F

firebreather

If you've taken that much niacinamide, then you should be fine. If you're running on cortisol and adrenaline (as I am at the moment,) then you need to be careful with niacinamide.

It will lower your blood-sugar, and if you don't have adequate carbohydrate, you will get a pronounced stress-response as your body tries to bring up your blood sugar. (If I'm wrong about the mechanism here, someone could pitch in.)

Your loss of appetite, fat storage, and lower thyroid function is normal for the winter time. Try to get sunlight, plenty of carbohydrate, adequate protein, and take your supplements regularly.

I'd advise Buteyko breathing as well and have plenty of fun if you can.

Fun is a big challenge for me at the moment but I know I definitely need it.

I'm in the market for a kayak at the moment and there is a lake 2 miles from my house so that will really help I think

OP
F

firebreather

Dave, and anyone else

I'm interested to hear your opinions on dosages for Thiamine and Biotin.

I'm doing Niacinamide at 100mg 3X per day

DaveFoster

Dave, and anyone else

I'm interested to hear your opinions on dosages for Thiamine and Biotin.

I'm doing Niacinamide at 100mg 3X per day
That's a fine dosage of niacinamide. You can go up to 1.5 grams/daily, but that's a high dose. 3 grams is the highest (probably) safe daily dose for your liver.

With thiamine, 1.5 g (1,500 mg) taken three times daily for a total of 4.5 g daily is what I did, and I'll start up again soon. This is to lower lactate and ammonia.

With biotin, 5 mg (5,000 mcg) taken three times daily for a total of 15 mg daily has some positive effects on glucose metabolism.

Work your way up to these dosages; don't just jump right in, and make sure to have plenty of carbohydrate (sugar) available.

OP
F

firebreather

That's a fine dosage of niacinamide. You can go up to 1.5 grams/daily, but that's a high dose. 3 grams is the highest (probably) safe daily dose for your liver.

With thiamine, 1.5 g (1,500 mg) taken three times daily for a total of 4.5 g daily is what I did, and I'll start up again soon. This is to lower lactate and ammonia.

With biotin, 5 mg (5,000 mcg) taken three times daily for a total of 15 mg daily has some positive effects on glucose metabolism.

Work your way up to these dosages; don't just jump right in, and make sure to have plenty of carbohydrate (sugar) available.

AWESOME!! Thanks so much

tara

I think @haidut recently made the point that some of the high dosage experiments he's reported are quite short term, and don't necessarily justify taking such high doses long-term.

Long term, I would think 100mg niacinamide 3x/day seems fine. For B1 and B7, I wouldn't be confident about quite this high being generally good for everyone, but don't know what levels would be optimal. Personally, I'm taking max 1mg biotin and 200mg B1 daily, split into at least 2 doses.

DaveFoster

@tara

I recently asked haidut about this. He said that there's been periods up to 1 year with 1.5 grams niacinamide with no ill effects, and extended periods of those dosages of biotin and thiamine with no ill effects besides gastrointestinal sensitivity IIRC.

By all means, lower dosages would be even more benign.

I cannot seem to find anything on thiamine, besides a safe dosage of 200 mg/day.

"If the study I posted on cancer metastatses is correct, human equivalent dose of "only" 3g was enough to stop metastases completely. So, that dose can help such serious condition I don't see why most people would need to take that much long term. Long term studies with humans capped at about 1.5g daily. There is a human study with type II diabetes that used 1.5g hor 6 months, and the recent Australian study on skin cancer used 1g for more than 12 months. I can't talk about safety but the doses of thiamine and biotin you mention have been used in humans for months, and even years with no serious issues except GI upset."
-haidut

Last edited:
OP
F

firebreather

@tara

I recently asked haidut about this. He said that there's been periods up to 1 year with 1.5 grams niacinamide with no ill effects, and extended periods of those dosages of biotin and thiamine with no ill effects besides gastrointestinal sensitivity IIRC.

By all means, lower dosages would be even more benign.

I cannot seem to find anything on thiamine, besides a safe dosage of 200 mg/day.

"If the study I posted on cancer metastatses is correct, human equivalent dose of "only" 3g was enough to stop metastases completely. So, that dose can help such serious condition I don't see why most people would need to take that much long term. Long term studies with humans capped at about 1.5g daily. There is a human study with type II diabetes that used 1.5g hor 6 months, and the recent Australian study on skin cancer used 1g for more than 12 months. I can't talk about safety but the doses of thiamine and biotin you mention have been used in humans for months, and even years with no serious issues except GI upset."
-haidut

Is this last paragraph talking about thiamine?

DaveFoster

Is this last paragraph talking about thiamine?
Niacinamide. Thiamine and biotin have almost absent toxicity to my knowledge except for very high intravenous dosages.

tomisonbottom

I agree with Mittir. I cannot drink OJ at all and now I can't eat any fruits as well. I think I caused some pretty serious damage to my digestive system by eating lots of fruits. Most likely, as Mittir said, it's due to pectin and low quality fruit (unripe as I eat only organic). I never had digestive problems before but now I have to stick to very low fiber diet and no raw fruits or starch whatsoever if I want to avoid bloating and stomach ache. IMO fiber is very damaging to the gut.

Have you had any improvement with your digestion?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals