why does saturated fat + carbs make me fat??

ddjd

i did keto years ago before peating and i never had a problem eating so much saturated fat whilst very low carb, in fact i lost tons of weight from saturated fat ALONE, but as soon as i combine saturated fats with carbs, its a huge problem - belly bloat, sluggish liver, constantly tired.

low carb + high sat fat = no problems
high carb + no fat = no problems
high carb + monounsaturated/ polyunsaturated = no problems
high carb + saturated fat = tired, bloated, sluggish liver etc.

so what is the issue with saturated fats + carbs???

Nomane Euger

i did keto years ago before peating and i never had a problem eating so much saturated fat whilst very low carb, in fact i lost tons of weight from saturated fat ALONE, but as soon as i combine saturated fats with carbs, its a huge problem - belly bloat, sluggish liver, constantly tired.

interesting,how much fat do you consume and how much carbs at the same time?what are the sources of fat?

OP
ddjd

ddjd

interesting,how much fat do you consume and how much carbs at the same time?what are the sources of fat?
coconut oil and butter

the amount isnt really significant, its moreso the combination thats problematic

i.e. i could eat 2000 calories of just steak and cheese, i.e. no carbs and have completely flat stomach, feel great.

2000 calories of high carb + high saturated fat = disaster.....bloated, sluggish, belly fat...

pro marker

weight gain for me depends on one thing and one thing only:
calories in calories out. doesnt matter what i eat, when i eat nothing matters other than the amount of calories consumed and burned.
what puzzles me is why cico only applies to some people.

Nomane Euger

coconut oil and butter

the amount isnt really significant, its moreso the combination thats problematic

i.e. i could eat 2000 calories of just steak and cheese, i.e. no carbs and have completely flat stomach, feel great.

2000 calories of high carb + high saturated fat = disaster.....bloated, sluggish, belly fat...
even if not consumed at the same meal?like carbs at one meal and fat at another one?

Hgreen56

saturated fat is more fattening than pufa.
Tyw has talk about this a few times as well.

Attachments

• SFA fat caused more fat gain (in the "wrong" places.) than pufa, but pufa  in this study, and ...png
    SFA fat caused more fat gain (in the "wrong" places.) than pufa, but pufa in this study, and ...png
    37.5 KB · Views: 224
  • more PUFAs didn't affect my body composition. Probably got leaner in fac .png
    more PUFAs didn't affect my body composition. Probably got leaner in fac .png
    13.7 KB · Views: 212
Last edited:

Sven90

Carbs means Sugar or Starch?

sugar plus sat fat seems to be okay for me.
Starch plus sat fat seems to make me fat as well.

dukesbobby777

What would a diet of high carb + monounsaturated/ polyunsaturated look like? Lots of nuts?

I remember this thread by tyw: Endotoxin And Fat Consumption

Maybe, according to the logic of tyw, transportation of endotoxin into blood stream (resulting in a inflammatory response in some people) by the saturated fats, leads to more sluggish liver and cascade of other problems (belly fat, etc).

saturated fat is way more fattening than other fats.
Tyw has talk about this a few times as well.
This is surprising and seems to go against what ray teaches...pufa being the worst offender. In my experience dairy fat is more fattening then coconut oil, and i think that has to do with the special mct makeup of coconut oil many of spoken of. But i think vegetable oils would be more fattening then dairy or beef fat and i have found this to be true.

Tarmander

Yup, happens for me and many other people. Think of how many people report weight gain on ice cream

One of the warnings I would give to people getting into Ray Peat is combining sat fat and carbs. If you start to gain weight...eating more of it to boost your metabolism doesn't make that better. Doesn't mean you can't have it but you have to be careful

Samya

As I understand it, over the course of a day we burn both fat and carbs but not at the same time, so if you eat them together you may burn the carbs and store the fat to be burned off later.

tankasnowgod

weight gain for me depends on one thing and one thing only:
calories in calories out. doesnt matter what i eat, when i eat nothing matters other than the amount of calories consumed and burned.
what puzzles me is why cico only applies to some people.
Well, it applies to everyone. At least, the equation does.

But it's an equation with several interdependent variables. People act like it's simple addition and subtraction, when in reality, it is algebra used over several decades.

Lyle McDonad wrote about it here- The Energy Balance Equation

And here's his detailed equation-

Energy In (corrected for digestion) = (BMR/RMR + TEF + TEA + SPA/NEAT) + Change in Body Stores

So, every time you eat, at bare minimum, you are stimulating TEF, which will also affect BMR and NEAT. So, if you cut 500 calories, you also (at minimum) cut 50 calories TEF, so you only get a 450 calorie deficit.

Also, Water has zero calories, but it certainly does have weight and volume. Add or subtract several gallons to either side, it doesn't affect the equation, but it will sure effect weight.

So, some can easily manipulate intake or activity, and predictably see results in the real world. Others seem to get no results, or results counter to what the equation would theoretically predict.

It can work well in the short and even medium term. But long term, there are deeper issues for most (be that thyroid, stress hormones, leaky gut, excess endotoxin, whatever), and a math equation just ain't gonna fix a structural or hormonal problem.

tankasnowgod

As I understand it, over the course of a day we burn both fat and carbs but not at the same time, so if you eat them together you may burn the carbs and store the fat to be burned off later.

Pretty sure we're always burning both at all times. The Randle Cycle applies at the cellular level, not for the entire organism.

stsfut

I think SFA requires more choline per CMJ to prevent the liver issues...

aliml

Poor bile production will lead to poor bowel motility and microbial overgrowth and fermentation. The fermentation process leads to gas production which can cause bloating and cramping

Peatful

Poor bile production will lead to poor bowel motility and microbial overgrowth and fermentation. The fermentation process leads to gas production which can cause bloating and cramping
+1

in your experience / knowledge: what’s been the most effective remedy?
Anecdotal or otherwise.

Hgreen56

This is surprising and seems to go against what ray teaches...pufa being the worst offender. In my experience dairy fat is more fattening then coconut oil, and i think that has to do with the special mct makeup of coconut oil many of spoken of. But i think vegetable oils would be more fattening then dairy or beef fat and i have found this to be true.
i think you can not vegatable oil compare with real food.
oil got rancid very quickly and that's makes it very unhealthy.
Like fish oil supplements become very quickly toxic when exposed to sunlight and/or higher temp.
But i think pufa from eating whole foods like avocado, fish, nuts are less toxic.