Why Does Saliva make Shoes Sticky?

Velve921

This is a random question..one of my athletes approached me today,

Why does saliva make shoes slippery?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Maybe slippery because of the small amount of mucus in saliva acting as a lubricant?

loess

You've got "why does saliva make shoes sticky" in the subject of the thread but you're asking why it makes shoes slippery - which one is it? To me those words are basically of the opposite of each other...

On a related note I played a lot of basketball when I was younger and during games I had a frequent habit of licking my hands and then wiping them on the soles of my shoes. I guess I must have felt like it helped me get more traction on the floor. My mom thought it was disgusting, she always nagged "why do you just go ahead and lick the floor?" :D

pboy

saliva is supposed to be a lubricant cause of what blossom said, theres some mucoids in there on purpose..its to clean your mouthand lubricate food so you don't choke. If mucus gets too dehydrated though it becomes sticky, that's why people hack and cough roughly, that's when the mucus is too dehydrated and potentially has too many osmotic particles in it...that's an indicator of bad things cause it means your whole lymph is probably stuck up and backed up, and if not even saliva is lubed then its unlikely your intestines are either!

OP
Velve921

Velve921

Sorry everyone, brain cramp, I want to know why it makes shoes so sticky.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Ewlevy1 said:
Sorry everyone, brain cramp, I want to know why it makes shoes so sticky.
I'm glad it wasn't a 'brain fart', those are embarrassing! :lol:

I'm not sure about sticky but maybe it's the enzymes?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals