Why Does Ray Still Take Thyroid?

Parsifal

docall18 said:
post 116631 In fairness I don't think Ray Peat is a very good advertisement for his diet etc.

He looks old for his age, has grey receded hair and speaks in a weak frail voice. He also doesn't come across as a charasmatic guy with a humming metabolism.

So it really makes you wonder if he cant get fixed up who can..
I've been asking that myself sometimes (he speaks slowly and has a weak voice) but I feel really better thanks to his advices, nothing worked like this until now and I have tried a lot of different things...

Dr. Peat is strange and mysterious, just look at this video, his eyes are shining with intelligence, I've rarely seen that in another person: https://scontent-fra3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hp ... e=5709DB50
Listen to his interviews as well, it's obvious that the guy is really really intelligent and bright, he has an ability to talk and recall a lot of things without reading notes. It is possible that he pushes himself very high to read and think a lot? Also it seems that he is not married so maybe the solitude is taking a toll on his metabolism?

I've read that he had health problems like a cancer in the past or something like that http://ispeatright.blogspot.fr/2013/04/ ... r-sos.html ? I've also heard him saying that he was hypermetabolic when he was younger and needed to eat thousands of calories/day. He also tried a vegan diet and it seems that it hurt him in the past.

I don't think that he looks old for is age though.

Last edited by a moderator:
mayweatherking said:
post 116637we should post some side by side pics of people the same age as him on random diets.

I say go for it!

:raypeatcoffee
1388.gif

ygZSd.gif

op8V7KE.gif

FredSonoma

Trump is a bit younger than Peat (I believe), and I have to say Trump seems healthier. Bolder, more agressive, and seemingly more energetic. Trump is likely juggling quite a lot - but that could give more meaning to his life. Also, maybe that agression is a sign of unhappiness / bad health, who knows. But Trump certainly comes off quite dominant, powerful, and energetic for a 69-year-old man.

Not that Peat looks like he is dying or anything. But something is not quite as fluid as some old people I've met.

Nicholas

docall18 said:
post 116631 In fairness I don't think Ray Peat is a very good advertisement for his diet etc.

He looks old for his age, has grey receded hair and speaks in a weak frail voice. He also doesn't come across as a charasmatic guy with a humming metabolism.

Ray Peat is a researcher, not a practitioner. You don't have a clue what his diet is, or his life context.

tara

docall18 said:
post 116631 So it really makes you wonder if he cant get fixed up who can..

I think Peat has recovered from some significant health issues over his lifetime, including some when he was quite young. And some of the things he has tried along the way may have done more harm than good. (I think he said lots of wheat germ at one stage did his teeth in.). He has not been eating his current diet for his whole life.

Who knows what he would have looked like, or whether he would have been aIive at all, if he had not found some tactics he now uses and recommends. Are you expecting him to be able to reverse all ill health and be immortal? Going to throw away his ideas if he isn't?

He talks about some aspects of aging as being (almost?) inevitable, such as the gradual replacement of the original more saturated fatty acids in cardiolipin with more unsaturated fats with aging, even when the diet is pretty low in PUFAs. I think it may be quite recent that he has moved to a lower fat diet than previously himself, and I am not aware that it is as extremely low fat as some people here. As far as I know, he still likes cream in his coffee.

I expect you can influence the longevity factors you inherit (eg general metabolism, nutritional, epigenetic and genetic status at birth), and to some extent recover from a lifetime of stresses, but not necessarily completely reverse all of their effects.

honeybee

Such_Saturation said:
Trump is a bigot, racist, entitled white supremecist who spews hate and intolerance. He is the worst sort of human being and unfortunately he has a lot of money. He is running for president of the us. He is not attractive at all-physically or otherwise.
I would take half of a Ray Peats over 1000 of that a** any day.

tara

Having riches and power has a strong correlation with health and longevity, unless you are powerful enough to be targetted for assassination. Being systematically excluded and thwarted doesn't. I imagine some of this health status is heritable.

Obnoxious dominant aggressive oppressive insulting behaviour is not attractive to me, either.
Especially when it furthers plutocratic power over more democratic and egalitarian power and resource use.

ken

Let me get this, your comparing a wealthy psychopath who is ten years younger and made-up by a makeup team every time he's seen, to a sedentary biologist? I once wrote Ray and said "you better live a long time to prove all this". Later I realized that so many things are out personal control. On the Ray vs. Donald front, have you listened to them talk?

tara

sladerunner69

docall18 said:

Old for his age? You realize he is close to 90... right? If I didn't know I would put him around the same age as my dad, 60ish. And have you listened to many of his interviews? The man is witty, well spoken, and sharp as a tack. Sure he may not be zealous or brimming with confidence, I would say it's because of his far above average intellect. Intelligence does not correlate with confidence. Intelligence correlates strongly with self-doubt (a core problem of society imo).

Anyways personally I observed the opposite of what you said here.

tara

answersfound

Peat was born on October 12th, 1936 so he just turned 79. I think he takes thyroid to try to keep himself in a slightly hypermetabolic state.

docall18

honeybee said:
post 116656
Such_Saturation said:
Trump is a bigot, racist, entitled white supremecist who spews hate and intolerance. He is the worst sort of human being and unfortunately he has a lot of money. He is running for president of the us. He is not attractive at all-physically or otherwise.
I would take half of a Ray Peats over 1000 of that a** any day.

Trump says it as it is, he also has his own money and is not a puppet on a string.

Like Ray Peat he is anti-establishment, and is demonized by main-stream media.

sladerunner69

Ray peat became a professor in the late 1950's so I would be surprised if he was born in 1936. I was talking with Danny Roddy, who knows Dr. Peat quite well and says he is in his late 80's...

Velve921

If you consider the components that make up a healthy human being, appearance may not be the only factor. I think Dr. Peat has done a tremendous job with inpiring many people on how to find improved health 'relative' for themselves. I believe health improvements can be dissimilar from others health improvements; for example, since I've been following Peat I have put on 42lbs, half muscle/half fat and don't look near as lean as I used to, however, my energy, sleep, mental clarity, anxiety, optimism, work capacity and many more have improved dramatically. I think looking for absolute human performance in all capacities can be difficult to attain in some cases (not impossible). Looking for relative improvement in any capacity I believe is a thought to consider.

Another interesting thought, if you think about the metabolism and the ability to support human function, I believe its beyond impressive the realizations that Dr. Peat has brought to many peoples attentions regarding nutrition and lifestyle. Therefore, I think the brilliance of his work speaks volumes in his ability to perform at a high intensity for a human being. Many of my athletes are shredded with six packs but cannot sleep through the night and have not in years; I see the issue as not in appearance but other factors if they choose sleep deprivation is an issue for themselves. The gaps in human performance seem to be exhibited in many different symptoms.

sladerunner69 said:
post 116803 Ray peat became a professor in the late 1950's so I would be surprised if he was born in 1936. I was talking with Danny Roddy, who knows Dr. Peat quite well and says he is in his late 80's...

1936 is printed twice on two separate pages, not a typo:

He also confirms this in some of the podcasts.

Attachments

• Ray Peat - Dissertation.pdf
    3 MB · Views: 124

michael94

i wonder if he uses red light on the thyroid as well? seems to make me mildly hyper and has no negative feedback loop

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals