Why Does Ray Peat Prefer Shell Powders To Calcium Carbonate Supplements?

tara

I think I might have mixed arsenic it with aluminum. Are you sure purebulk dont sell it anymore? I asked them about calcium carbonate a couple of months ago, and I think they are in the process of changing it to eggshell calcium due to less heavy metals. I might be wrong though, but that was at least the impression they gave me.
I see calcium carbonate (mineral)/ascorbate/citrate/pyruvate and coral calcium on their website? If they start to sell fine clean eggshell powder, I'll be interested.

Would anyone know if the aluminium in the oystershell would be in an absorbable form?

tara

@tara, what's your take on NOW's calcium carbonate powder?
I don't think I have a clear enough idea of what realistic levels of contamination to aim for are, so I don't really know.
For myself, I'll probably keep using the oyster shell I've got, then I think I might have a bit of coral calcium left that I got quite a while ago, and when that eventually runs out, I'll consider what next.
Ideally, I'd like to be getting my minerals from food, but I don't manage milk and while I eat some greens every day, probably not enough to maintain calcium. So I risk some supplemental. I don't take huge quantities ATM.

tara

@tara, what's your take on NOW's calcium carbonate powder?
BTW, I have and do use some NOW powders - I just don't know enough to know if it's a good idea or recommend them.
I'm currently using small amounts of NOW calcium ascorbate and magnesium ascorbate regularly.

tara

It provides very few calcium per weight though. Not suitable as the main calcium source.
Yes. I mentioned it as a reference to my attitude to NOW, and I use it primarily for the ascorbate.

OP
L

Logan-

This is from @Dan Wich's website, toxinless:

noavatar92.png

Vicki • 4 years ago
HI...Dan..
Do you know if Calcium in capsule is better, if so witch brand do you recommend I am having problems in finding a good one
with little hiding chemical that we don't know about. With so many in the market how to choose the right one....
Thank you in advance.

Dan Wich
here to help Vicki4 years ago
Hi Vicki, I actually think the powders may be a little better than capsules when taken in liquids / at meals. When eggshells are too much work, I've used Now Foods calcium carbonate powder for that. It comes from limestone, though I haven't been able to get a "certificate of analysis" from them to confirm its purity. It doesn't taste bad or anything, so it's nearly as convenient as a capsule.

So he uses NOW Foods Calcium Carbonate powder too, sometimes.

noavatar92.png

adya • 2 years ago
I took eggshell powder (home ground organic eggs) for a while last year and had bad night cramps in my legs which I did not relate to the calcium intake but lots of computer hours. Just last month I tried the eggshells again and had night-leg-cramps immediately. I now think that it is related and wonder if solving the shells in lemon juice before taking will make a difference. Any experience anyone?

Dan Wich
here to help adya2 years ago

Interesting. If extremely-finely-ground calcium carbonate like Now Foods brand didn't have the same problem, you might be able to see if it was something about intestinal irritation.

I've tried dissolving the eggshell powder in lemon juice without much luck. I'm not sure why it doesn't work.

Last edited:
OP
L

Logan-

Found this:

Question:
Hello, is this tested for lead, aluminum and other heavy metals?
Answer:
Yes, Pure Organic Ingredients Calcium Carbonate is tested for heavy metals. If you like a copy of the certificate of analysis, please contact us via the Amazon Orders panel, where buyers can “Ask a question” and we will by happy to send you one.
By Quality Producer Direct Seller on April 8, 2019

https://www.amazon.com/Pure-Organic...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B073R11N4P

And this:

"Calcium Carbonate Powder, Pharmaceutical Grade, 1lb-454g, Highest Purity Limestone

About the product
  • Pharma grade, purer than food grade, edible."

https://www.amazon.com/Carbonate-Ph...T5RDE73RZBY&psc=1&refRID=TKVVCS8FWT5RDE73RZBY

Last edited:
OP
L

Logan-

This analysis is from @Dan Wich's website:

I looked at this chart again, I don't think oyster shell calcium is preferable to refined calcium carbonate (based on the chart above). Oyster shell calcium can be even much worse.

I have also read this in some websites, warning against oyster shell calcium - because of its possibly high heavy metal content.

Some people have mentioned digestive irritation with eggshell calcium.
(Source: toxinless)

If a person is having digestive problems or allergic reactions with eggshell calcium, then I think the second best source of calcium (regarding heavy metal content) is plain calcium carbonate, not oyster shell calcium carbonate.

Oyster and egg shells are low in heavy metals.

But at the moment I don’t tolerate them. I started using a branded calcium maleate and sent an email to to company. They sent a current CofA back and it’s quite decent so I won’t worry about it at the moment. I am traveling or I’d share it with you but it was extremely low in heavy metals.

Why would oyster shell have such high heavy metals?

Dr. Peat always has suggested egg shell calcium though.

OP
L

Logan-

Oyster and egg shells are low in heavy metals.

But at the moment I don’t tolerate them. I started using a branded calcium maleate and sent an email to to company. They sent a current CofA back and it’s quite decent so I won’t worry about it at the moment. I am traveling or I’d share it with you but it was extremely low in heavy metals.

Do share the supplement's name when you can.

Dr. Peat always has suggested egg shell calcium though.

I would guess it's natural for the marine ecosystem to have high levels of heavy metals than the non-marine ecosystem.

Heavy metals are a natural part of the earth's crust. Heavy metals enter the sea usually through riverine influx (after weathering and erosion of rocks), atmospheric deposition (dust particles e.g. from volcano's) and anthropogenic activities.
Heavy metals - Coastal Wiki

Marine pollution is another reason.

HEAVY METAL IN OCEAN

T.M. Ansari, I.L. Marr and N. Tariq, 2004. Heavy Metals in Marine Pollution Perspective–A Mini Review. Journal of Applied Sciences, 4: 1-20.

OP
L

Logan-

Thanks, could you share the COA too?

Albion Calcium - Albion Calcium

Albion Calcium - DimaCal®

They also have Calcium Citrate Malate (CCM):

CCM Specifications
Calcium: 23.0% (Guaranteed analysis: Not less than 20%)
Citric Acid: 37.28%
Malic Acid: 39.05%
Item Numbers: 4055 (powder); 4056 (granular)
Pack Size: 25 kg
Albion Calcium - CCM

I think both the CCM, and the Dicalcium Malate powder you started using could be better than calcium citrate. They may also be helpful for people who experience digestive issues with calcium carbonate, like you, because of the different pH levels. But I would prefer a heavy metal tested (with a COA) pure calcium carbonate powder over these, as per RP's suggestion.

@ecstatichamster, have you tried this method, or something similar:
Pure calcium carbonate with 1 or 2 tbspoons of vinegar is worth a go. See how you get on.

Here's a thread from @Amazoniac on magnesium malate that contains some useful information:

Magnesium Malate "When Energy Fails"

Edit: Thorne also sells DimaCal®, but the capsules have microcrystalline cellulose in them.
https://www.thorne.com/products/dp/dicalcium-malate

Last edited:
I did try that. I may have to fix this gut issue because at the moment all calcium is causing issues.

OP
L

Logan-

I did try that. I may have to fix this gut issue because at the moment all calcium is causing issues.

I see. Daily bone broth and carrot salad might help.

Found a Calcium Bisglycinate supplement, it could be easier on the digestive system.

Trophic’s Calcium Amino Acid Chelate is synthesized using the patented Albion process – amino acids are bound to minerals to result in a more efficiently absorbed formula.

Trophic Calcium Chelazome

Also this one: https://www.amazon.com/Solaray-Calcium-Bisglycinate-Capsules-1000mg/dp/B000I4DGG8
Minimal excipients.

A review for the above product:

5.0 out of 5 stars
Highly recommend, easy to digest.
July 15, 2017
Verified Purchase
I use these all the time. To me they are the easiest on my stomach. I have no digestive problems when taking these.

Amazoniac

I suspect that it's easier with lemon/lime juice than vinegar for lacking bactaeria and having the impression that they can adhere to the surface of the eggshell, form a film, and prevent the reaction.

Not encouraging you to insist on something that's not working, but when you feel comfortable trying again, it's also worth using bigger pieces of eggshell (in pickable sizes) instead of powders. This way you'll always know that regardless if there wased too much or too little acid, all that has been dissolved is solubiliz'd and shouldn't upset digestion.

Open Jenniferology book , all there

OP
L

Logan-

Calcium carbonate from mined sources, chalk, buried hundreds of millions of years ago, is not contaminated with the many dangerous things that are dumped into the modern ocean.

Oysters are harvested mostly from bays and most bays are the sites of large cities. Shell avidly takes up strontium and if there is strontium 90 around, that's what will be in it, also other heavy metals and organics. Think, Fukushima.

Think farmed oysters bathed in Chinese sewage and how you will be helping those oyster farmers make a profit disposing of their waste.

And skip the sea salt.

And:

Chalk is just shells that lived a long time ago, way before we were born, before the dinosaurs.