Why Does Ray Peat Prefer Shell Powders To Calcium Carbonate Supplements?

Logan-

Pointless

Eggshell powder is very pure and is naturally free of heavy metals and other toxins. I've seen a study comparing the purity of eggshell powder to calcium carbonate, and the eggshell was way more pure, even though I can't find it right now. This might be irrelevant with a purified and tested calcium carbonate supplement, but there are no standards or regulations in the supplement industry, so it is very easy to ummm maybe break the spirit of these guarantees or turn a blind eye.

OP
L

Logan-

Thanks for the explanation. That product seems good; but I am allergic to eggs, can't even consume the yolk. That's why I don't want to consume eggshell powder.

Lolinaa

He doesn't recommend calcium carbonate supplements, and always recommends eggshell or oyster shell powders. Does anyone have any idea about the reasons behind this?

I am thinking of buying a calcium carbonate supplement instead, specifically this one: https://www.amazon.com/NOW-Calcium-Carbonate-Powder-12-Ounces/dp/B004421K68

The labdoor analysis of this product says it passed their purity tests "(heavy metal content below 2 PPM)". NOW Foods Calcium Carbonate Review

It's the one I use as I couldn't find eggshell powder. I didn’t have any bad reactions from it but I dont use it every day or very often. It depends on my schedule. Do you drink milk and eat cheese?

OP
L

Logan-

In this page, Using eggshells as a source of calcium - Toxinless refined calcium carbonate seems to have the highest levels of heavy metals. @Dan Wich, what do you think about the labdoor analysis in this regard?

By the way, have you got a certificate of analysis from them, after writing this:

Dan Wich
here to help Vicki3 years ago
Hi Vicki, I actually think the powders may be a little better than capsules when taken in liquids / at meals. When eggshells are too much work, I've used Now Foods calcium carbonate powder for that. It comes from limestone, though I haven't been able to get a "certificate of analysis" from them to confirm its purity. It doesn't taste bad or anything, so it's nearly as convenient as a capsule.

Last edited:

Dan W

what do you think about the labdoor analysis in this regard?
I wonder if it varies by the source, the one I mentioned on the toxinless page was from a French company, and by coincidence this was the first thing that came up when I looked for variation in the cadmium content of limestone. I don't actually know the source of the French company's calcium carbonate, but NOW Foods said they use limestone, at least.

By the way, have you got a certificate of analysis from them, after writing this:
No, they've told me "We don't send out CofA's as they contain proprietary information..."

tara

I believe @tara has mentioned using oyster shells.
I tried oyster shells as well, and used it for a while, but I learned on Toxinless that it contains extremely high levels of arsenic so I am not sure of its use long term.

I haven't managed to find or make a fine enough form of eggshell powder to be able to tolerate it, nor so far tried any eggshell capsules. The oystershell powder I got from purebulk a while ago was fine enough, but I don't think they sell it anymore, so I'll have to get something else when it runs out. I'd read Peat mentioning oystershell somewhere as a reasonable calcium supplement, second to eggshells. I'd not heard of the arsenic till you mentioned it. Didn't find a reference to that on toxinless site?

Lee Simeon

I haven't managed to find or make a fine enough form of eggshell powder to be able to tolerate it, nor so far tried any eggshell capsules. The oystershell powder I got from purebulk a while ago was fine enough, but I don't think they sell it anymore, so I'll have to get something else when it runs out. I'd read Peat mentioning oystershell somewhere as a reasonable calcium supplement, second to eggshells. I'd not heard of the arsenic till you mentioned it. Didn't find a reference to that on toxinless site?
I think I might have mixed arsenic it with aluminum. Are you sure purebulk dont sell it anymore? I asked them about calcium carbonate a couple of months ago, and I think they are in the process of changing it to eggshell calcium due to less heavy metals. I might be wrong though, but that was at least the impression they gave me.

OP
L

Logan-

So, the labdoor analysis of the NOW calcium carbonate powder says:

"Bulk samples of this product passed all six heavy metal assays, indicating presence of under 2 PPM (part per million) of arsenic, lead, cadmium, bismuth, antimony, and silver."

I looked online how to convert ppm, these came up
https://web.viu.ca/krogh/chem311/units of concentration.pdf
ppm to percent (%) conversion calculator | number conversion

If I understand it correctly, the labdoor analysis says the quantity of heavy metals for each (arsenic, lead, cadmium, bismuth, antimony, and silver) is lower than 2 μg/g for this product.

This analysis is from @Dan Wich's website:

How does NOW's calcium carbonate powder look to you guys, in comparison to the above? I wish labdoor published the actual numbers.

Is the NOW's product good to take?

Last edited:
OP
L

Logan-

Is my conversion from ppm to μg/g correct?

Last edited:
OP
L

Logan-

I looked through all the products in the calcium supplements ranking of labdoor. I think their "product purity" analysis is worthless; since all the products have the same purity number "90", and all of them say the same thing.

It's useless. I guess their thresh0ld, "lower than 2 ppm" is very high; but this still doesn't explain why all the products have the same ranking "90" in terms of heavy metal content.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals