Why does Ray Peat like skim milk so much?

mt_dreams

If purchasing raw milk is too risky where you live, you may be able to find specialty (small scale) stores that sell low pasteurized un-hommiginized milk. I have a Mennonite butcher in my area that sells it, though it's slightly more expensive than the raw milk I get, so I just stick to the raw stuff.

If you don't own a baster, and want to keep things easy, you can just leave the milk untouched for a couple of days in a wide mouth jar, then just use a spoon to carefully remove the risen milk fat from the jar. You don't need to worry about getting all of the milkfat as any remaining fat will still leave the milk under 1% fat content.

jyb

What are the nutrients in the milk fat? I'm wondering what I'm missing by drinking reduced fat 2% or less milk versus non-skimmed 4% milk, especially in terms of copper, zinc...

pboy

the only stuff in the fat part is the vitamin a, d, e, and k, as well as a few short chain fatty acids and of course all the normal triglycerides. The casein has about half the calcium, half the b vitamins, half the zinc, half the selenium, and little to no sodium, potassium, magnesium. The whey portion has the other half of the calcium, zinc, selenium, b vitamins, and almost all the potassium sodium, magnesium, choline, and iodine. However when companies isolate whey a lot of the whey portion vitamins, as well as in the making of cottage cheese, are lost in the straining water. No cows milk has any copper, iron, or manganese...maybe trace amounts. Goats milk has copper, and its probably half in the whey and half in the casein...but im not 100% on that